Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot get Sentry Mode / Tesla Cam to record to SSD (June 2020 Update)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I cannot get my 2017 MS to recognize my SSD or thumb drive to record any videos on sentry mode. I can get it to recognize it to play music only (separate test to just see if the drives work). FAT 32 format, subfolder TeslaCam, no icon pops up, no folders created by Tesla. I also tried it in exFAT format and same, nothing. Tried both front USB slots. Seems like it should be quite simple, so what am I missing? Thanks!

I had to look up what that meant, and I think there's a chance that I have 2.0... altho I did purchase FSD so not sure how that may work out for the upgrade... in any case, thanks, super disappointed.

if you tell me when your car was manufactured (it’s on the drivers side door sticker) I can tell you if it’s AP 2.0

also, when you get the FSD chip installed by Tesla, you will get sentry mode in the car so don’t be too disappointed.

• Informative
Reactions: bons
I had to look up what that meant, and I think there's a chance that I have 2.0... altho I did purchase FSD so not sure how that may work out for the upgrade... in any case, thanks, super disappointed.

Once you get the HW3 computer, you will be able to record Sentry and Dashcam,.
If you also opt for the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade, and then also get the HW3 Computer, you will then also get the built-in viewer for Sentry and Dashcam.

You'll find many posts on how amazing the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade is... this assume you have the $2500 to spend on this upgrade. It is an optional upgrade that you purchase. There is no "can I get it for free" or "will they upgrade my MCU1 when it fails". It's a $2500 optional Infotainment upgrade, and in my opinion well worth it if you have the funds available.

• Informative
Reactions: bons
I looked at the sticker and couldn't find the date of the car, but Tesla confirmed it was AP2.0, but couldn't answer whether the hardware upgrade is available but I have a service appointment in a couple weeks so I'll ask them! But alas, I think upgrade policies may be different outside the US...

In other news my parking card just flew into the center console and disappeared... apparently this is a common issue...