Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't Connect with Destination Charging Dep. At Tesla!!!????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are simply trying to buy two hi powered wall connectors and install them at our business. Possibly a powerall or two as well! Tesla is no longer responding to email at the address they provided, and No matter what department I talk to over the phone, they seem surprised to hear that I want to install charging (as if it's something new) and when I ask to talk to someone about it, you'd think I was asking to talk to the secretary of defense. I've been transferred 9 times, hung up on once, sent to emergency roadside assistance, and told that there is no such department. HOWEVER... someone at the Fremont front desk DID transfer me to the "Tesla Charging Installation Team" but I got their voicemail as they were not yet open on the west coast. Now no one will admit this department exists or attempt to help me. This concerns me as an investor, vehicle owner, and as someone who holds the cross country record in a Tesla and brought them a lot of attention through the press and through my personal network. Does anyone have any contacts or help they can provide to me? I'm pretty upset at this point as we are currently doing utility work on our business and will proceed to cosmetic renovations soon and I would like to have the chargers in place by then.

We are simply trying to buy two hi powered wall connectors and install them at our business.

If you are just trying to buy two Wall Connectors why don't you just place an order online or pick them up at the closest Service Center?

I assume that you are actually trying to get Tesla to supply/donate a couple WCs; have you filled out the form on their Charging Partners | Tesla page? (I assume the email address you have tried is [email protected], right?)

You say they are no longer responding. Does that mean they responded to your initial inquires? If so, what did they say?

If you are just trying to buy two Wall Connectors why don't you just place an order online or pick them up at the closest Service Center?

I assume that you are actually trying to get Tesla to supply/donate a couple WCs; have you filled out the form on their Charging Partners | Tesla page? (I assume the email address you have tried is [email protected], right?)

You say they are no longer responding. Does that mean they responded to your initial inquires? If so, what did they say?
I don't want to place the order because there is street parking only outside our office building and I want to make sure we can install them/ utilize them. Whether they provide them free or not is not really an issue, although I did reach out initially through that email yes. They initially replied and said they would contact me in 5-7 days. It's been 2 weeks. My urgency is due to the fact that we are currently doing utility work on the structure, then will move on to cosmetic renovations soon and I would love to incorporate the chargers before and not after the fact. Now my new emails are not being replied to. Perhaps they are just really busy but even the small tech company I used to do support for back in the day had a 1 business day turnaround policy on all communications with customers at the LATEST.

(Forgive my sarcasm, but I'm not going to purchase these without finding out if they can be installed first and used at our location, we have street parking only and I've never done this before.)

Why would Tesla know if they can be used at your location? That sounds like a local code/landlord issue...

What specifically are you concerned about? Would the charging cord have to cross a sidewalk to get from the WC to the car? If so that would likely be a code violation, as a tripping hazard, and not allowed.

I would think a local electrician would be your best bet. They should know the local code rules and can refer to the WC install guide for any questions on the units themselves.

Why would Tesla know if they can be used at your location? That sounds like a local code/landlord issue...

What specifically are you concerned about? Would the charging cord have to cross a sidewalk to get from the WC to the car? If so that would likely be a code violation, as a tripping hazard, and not allowed.

I would think a local electrician would be your best bet. They should know the local code rules and can refer to the WC install guide for any questions on the units themselves.
It seems as if you are just here to argue with me, but using your logic, here is my counter argument:

Why would Tesla not provide support for a product they design and sell? A product that is cutting edge and proprietary to their vehicles only?

Why would Tesla not at least communicate to me the points that you just made? Or point me to a local certified electrician?

Why would you think a local business that has no connection with the company that designs and sells the product would be my best bet for support on the product? Do I go to my local car salesman to ask questions about my Model X?

Reactions: alcibiades
I think the problem is that you started at the wrong place. The destination charging team is about getting hotels/restaurants/etc to install WCs.

Have you checked out the charging information pages Tesla provides?

For example: Charge At Home | Tesla (It has a find an electrician section at the bottom.)
Or Home charging installation that has information on it as well as an email address to use if you need help: "Contact the home charging team if you need additional assistance or guidance."

Have you looked at the manual? https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

They even have a one page overview that includes all of the contact information: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector.pdf

I know it all says "home" charging but that isn't really different from a business installing charging. (Other than local code could be different.)

I'm surprised that when you called Teslas main number that none of them would have referred you to their web site for the charging information.

I'm not saying that a local electrician would be the best people to support the WC; but they would be you best contact for how it could be installed to meet local code in your situation.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
I think the problem is that you started at the wrong place. The destination charging team is about getting hotels/restaurants/etc to install WCs.

Have you checked out the charging information pages Tesla provides?

For example: Charge At Home | Tesla (It has a find an electrician section at the bottom.)
Or Home charging installation that has information on it as well as an email address to use if you need help: "Contact the home charging team if you need additional assistance or guidance."

Have you looked at the manual? https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

They even have a one page overview that includes all of the contact information: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/charging_wall_connector.pdf

I know it all says "home" charging but that isn't really different from a business installing charging. (Other than local code could be different.)

I'm surprised that when you called Teslas main number that none of them would have referred you to their web site for the charging information.

I'm not saying that a local electrician would be the best people to support the WC; but they would be you best contact for how it could be installed to meet local code in your situation.
Ok. Sorry for my tone, but I'm used to stellar service in all other areas of Tesla, so I'm shocked and perturbed with my experience this morning. I was provided a contact number through direct message by another Forum member, and the gentlemen was super professional and helpful. Problem solved. It's just sad I had to move heaven and earth to find an actual person to talk to on the matter.

It seems as if you are just here to argue with me, but using your logic, here is my counter argument:

Why would Tesla not provide support for a product they design and sell? A product that is cutting edge and proprietary to their vehicles only?

Why would Tesla not at least communicate to me the points that you just made? Or point me to a local certified electrician?

Why would you think a local business that has no connection with the company that designs and sells the product would be my best bet for support on the product? Do I go to my local car salesman to ask questions about my Model X?
I think that your expectations are way out of line! tesla will tell you everything you need to know about the evse they are getting to you however the actual siting and installation is 100% on you. good luck

I did not expect them to install it for me... just to provide a better customer service experience.
I understand wanting good customer service on something, but on what? I think we're all still totally lost on what kind of information or help you could have been trying to get. It's an electrical appliance. The manual and install guide documentation are on their website. Any electrician can install it. What were you actually trying to find out from them?

Here you go, I was simply trying to get a response on if they would provide the chargers initially, as I heard from reliable sources on this forum that they do so even though you might not be a destination but are close to destinations and highways. After a certain amount of time, however, I was baffled by the lack of any response, even a "No".

This was Aug 1st (My initial inquiry):
Capture.JPG

This was their 1st reply, prompt and helpful :
Capture2.JPG

Then, when I followed up almost a week later, they said this (which is also the last time I heard from them) :
Capture3.JPG

After further failed attempts at emailing and receiving no new response or estimate of when they would let me know about my application, I figured it would be pretty straight forward to call and speak to someone who covers this area. This is when I was transferred or put on hold over 10 times much to my amazement. Again, comparing the service I received to the other times I've called Tesla (which has always been a pleasant and helpful experience) and even comparing to other companies I've interacted with, I felt disappointed and then came here to vent. Perhaps I overreacted, but I believe they could do a better job in this area. This is all resolved now anyway as I finally connected with a gentleman who, YOU GUESSED IT, works on the Charging Installation Support Team (that many Tesla people over the phone claimed did not exist), and he happily spent 20 minutes with me on the phone answering all my concerns and directing me on how to best proceed. I expect nothing less when I spend over 1k on any product. That is all folks! Thanks for the feedback, and help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H