Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between AWD and performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the same boat. Ordered the P and then slept on it. The cost difference was too much for something so little, so I changed it to AWD and haven't looked back. The way you said you drive will be perfect for the AWD. That power will be there, ready when you need it.

Reactions: BestHand
I would caution against that unless you install performance breaks and 19" wheels

Actually Tesla sold the Performance version with Standard Brakes and Aero tires. I have one. Some call it P3D- or Performance Stealth (because it does not look like a Performance) The standard brakes can stop just as fast (or very close). Problem is they they don't cool down fast enough on the Track.

The car will limit power to what ever traction you have. If it didn't we couldn't install snow tires.

Unless you want to drive like a complete madman (or madwoman), AWD will give you plenty enough thrills. All other cars on the road seem like slow-moving turtles. It also feels good knowing all 4 wheels are gripping the road when you hit the accelerator.

Confession: I would have bought the performance version if it was only $4,000 more than AWD.

Do people find the lowered Performance suspension and 20” lower profile tyres more irritating on long trips? Is there a constant jiggling and crashing on rural backroads that you don’t get in the other car?

I have no idea (I haven’t driven any Model 3) but I believe I need to order the Performance version to replace an ‘entry-level supercar’... it’s funny to think how the AWD might be so much more pleasant on the roads I’ll be driving on. I might be making a terrible mistake, but I’m hoping someone who lives in the countryside and drives a Performance version might be able to reassure me? I suspect either ‘P3D+’ or ‘AWD’ won’t ride very well on humps and bumps, railway tracks and potholes, washed-out surfaces, patches of gravel and so on, usually hiding in the dark or underwater.

At least being a closed car, I’m expecting there won’t be scuttle shake :)

-Alex

It's been a struggle trying to decide between the 2 based on our situation.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I test drove AWD and performance back and back, AWD first and then performance. We ordered the P3D right after. The difference in performance is huge in terms of acceleration as well as handling which could be the difference in tires and slightly lower suspension of the P3D.

A few days after I started second guessing my decision. I said my decision since the wife was fine with us ordering the P3D. My concern was: 1) 20" rims on the P3D with the potpoles and possibly bending the rims, 2) Is it really worth the price difference for us: This will be primary my wife's car even though I will drive it on the weekend, and we are not both aggressive drivers that will race people off the line, 3) Range: If comparing the 19' sport wheels on the AWD vs the P3D, seems like P3D will be at least 5% more "thirsty". Is it just from the difference in wheels? For winter, we'll be driving with 18" winters on either one.

To make the situation more difficult to analyze, we may be looking to replace our SUV to the Model Y in 2 years if we like the EV experience (Model 3 being our first EV). Then I'd prefer the wifey to drive the Model Y and I'll take over the Model 3.
If that's the case, I will definitely prefer the P3D.

We can afford the P3D no issues, but is it really worth it for us to pay $13k CAD more + interest for something that we will probably never take advantage of.

And also the 20" rims. I wish the P3D came with options for 19" instead.

Last week, I have modified the order to an AWD, but I'm still unsure which one I should go with. No VINs have been assigned yet, so I can still modify the order yet again, but this may delay the delivery. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the AWD. It does seem like P3D is more of a want, and AWD is the more logical choice.

Definitely need some help from those who had trouble deciding between the two, as well as owners who have 20" rims and can share their experience. Thanks!
Dude - I'm still trying to decide between Ginger or Mary Ann. I'll have to come back to you .. . .

• Funny
Reactions: super20g
Unless you want to drive like a complete madman (or madwoman), AWD will give you plenty enough thrills. All other cars on the road seem like slow-moving turtles. It also feels good knowing all 4 wheels are gripping the road when you hit the accelerator.

Confession: I would have bought the performance version if it was only $4,000 more than AWD.
100% on target for me too. Will also add:

Most performance models of other brands have many more visual cues. Like more aggressive fascias, wider aspect tires, completely different wheel styles, etc. Also usually more aggressive seats, sport steering wheels, etc. IMO Tesla just doesn't offer much in the way of differentiating a Performance. You have to be up close and KNOW what to look for to tell the difference. To >99% they are the same car.

Reactions: alexGS
100% on target for me too. Will also add:

Most performance models of other brands have many more visual cues. Like more aggressive fascias, wider aspect tires, completely different wheel styles, etc. Also usually more aggressive seats, sport steering wheels, etc. IMO Tesla just doesn't offer much in the way of identify a Performance. You have to be up close and KNOW what to look for to tell the difference.

Absolutely agree, for me that’s a large part of the appeal for buying one. Though I expect in the long term it will hurt resale values, as future buyers of older cars are probably going to be more expecting boy-racer looks. I expect there’ll be an industry for body kits and coilovers, ruined geometry and deep dish rims etc. Then it won’t matter whether you have a Performance or AWD, they’ll all be the average ‘Model 3’ price.

-Alex

Do people find the lowered Performance suspension and 20” lower profile tyres more irritating on long trips? Is there a constant jiggling and crashing on rural backroads that you don’t get in the other car? [...] I suspect either ‘P3D+’ or ‘AWD’ won’t ride very well on humps and bumps, railway tracks and potholes, washed-out surfaces, patches of gravel and so on, usually hiding in the dark or underwater.

I've driven my P3D on rural roads and gravel, and the ride has been fine. I did make the mistake of reading Internet forums too much, so I'm a bit paranoid about potholes busting a rim, and I tend to go out of my way to go around potholes to a greater degree than I would have before.

It's a tough call. If you only drive on rural/messy roads, I'm not sure how much of a performance advantage you can take advantage of, and a lowered suspension isn't very attractive. But if you only need to be be able to drive on rural/messy roads, I think it's OK. Worst case, you can get some aftermarket 18" rims to have more tire padding.

• Informative
I've driven my P3D on rural roads and gravel, and the ride has been fine. I did make the mistake of reading Internet forums too much, so I'm a bit paranoid about potholes busting a rim, and I tend to go out of my way to go around potholes to a greater degree than I would have before.

It's a tough call. If you only drive on rural/messy roads, I'm not sure how much of a performance advantage you can take advantage of, and a lowered suspension isn't very attractive. But if you only need to be be able to drive on rural/messy roads, I think it's OK. Worst case, you can get some aftermarket 18" rims to have more tire padding.

Excellent - thank you :)
I think I’ve also been prone to reading too much misinformation. Meanwhile there’ve been some useful vids such as Carwow (English, but testing in Europe) which have revealed a pleasant ride even on 20s by European standards (some modern cars are relatively firm, such as the Giulietta I drive mostly which is on 225/35 18s).

Really we do have some nice roads in NZ, and a few rough patches which I know like the back of my hand (on my regular trip), so I reckon the 20s are worth a go after all. I won’t be rushing to change them but it’s always an option in future. I’m sticking with the P3D idea. There’s always the good chance I will take the car to a track day, too. Thanks again for your help.

-Alex

Since money is not a concern I suggest you get the P3D. No one ever regrets buying the best version of something whereas you're much more likely to regret not buying that version.

Many years ago I was trying to decide between an Audi S4 and an RS4. I chose the S4 as it was more affordable and practical. While I still love the S4 and it has always provided plenty of performance for my needs I have always wished I had just sprung for the RS4. When it came time to buy my Tesla I, like you, again debated the value proposition. I decided I wasnt going to make the same mistake twice. I bought the P3D and couldn't be happier with it.

Reactions: Dinoraptor101
Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Right now we are definitely leaning towards the Dual Motor... but who knows how I feel when I wake up tomorrow lol

I would like the option of the P without the supplied wheels which are an issue for people in some areas. They are subject to problems and if you hit the random pot hole you can easily blow a tire. A friend regularly drove a prototype P and blew two tires and damaged a rim. The performance of the AWD version is very good. I have an AWD and sold my 85D and I would not spend the extra as I would not want the wheel/tire combo and the big efficiency hit.

I would like the option of the P without the supplied wheels which are an issue for people in some areas. They are subject to problems and if you hit the random pot hole you can easily blow a tire. A friend regularly drove a prototype P and blew two tires and damaged a rim. The performance of the AWD version is very good. I have an AWD and sold my 85D and I would not spend the extra as I would not want the wheel/tire combo and the big efficiency hit.

If Tesla offers the option of the P without the wheels, that would make my decision much easier.

Is it possible that Tesla may offer that option to Dual Motor owners down the road? It's only a software unlock and that cost Tesla nothing.

I bought my M3P because of its duality character with the ability to track/autox it as well. Initially was considering the RWD Base Model 3 as a barebones, before going on a test drive in the Performance model.

Haven't looked back since. You could also invest in a tire/wheel insurance plan to cover and protect yourself against possible flats and tire issues if that's one of the major concerns.

I fixed your post for you :)

guilty!
Do people find the lowered Performance suspension and 20” lower profile tyres more irritating on long trips? Is there a constant jiggling and crashing on rural backroads that you don’t get in the other car?

I have no idea (I haven’t driven any Model 3) but I believe I need to order the Performance version to replace an ‘entry-level supercar’... it’s funny to think how the AWD might be so much more pleasant on the roads I’ll be driving on. I might be making a terrible mistake, but I’m hoping someone who lives in the countryside and drives a Performance version might be able to reassure me? I suspect either ‘P3D+’ or ‘AWD’ won’t ride very well on humps and bumps, railway tracks and potholes, washed-out surfaces, patches of gravel and so on, usually hiding in the dark or underwater.

At least being a closed car, I’m expecting there won’t be scuttle shake :)

-Alex

The P3D suspension is pretty comfortable, especially for a performance car... it is not jarring at all IMO. the 20 inch rims on the other hand are pretty soft... i've replaced 2 in 10months of ownership... i've never needed to replace damaged rims on my cars before.

• Informative
Since money is not a concern I suggest you get the P3D. No one ever regrets buying the best version of something whereas you're much more likely to regret not buying that version.

Many years ago I was trying to decide between an Audi S4 and an RS4. I chose the S4 as it was more affordable and practical. While I still love the S4 and it has always provided plenty of performance for my needs I have always wished I had just sprung for the RS4. When it came time to buy my Tesla I, like you, again debated the value proposition. I decided I wasnt going to make the same mistake twice. I bought the P3D and couldn't be happier with it.

This reply just won the internet

Reactions: caskater47

A version of Performance always contains many attractive features to fulfill most people's enthusiasm. One thing I've learnt and it does help my after math regret is that your available time to care or maintain the car performance after years of use. Performance car does need extra effort and time to maintain - a slight degrade of suspension, tire thread, will draw your attention to get them fix. It means it cost you more $$ and time to keep up. Car sit lower with high profile tire would be easy to get damage. This mean every other month you may end up to spend your weekend and week night to work on your car. This was happened to me years ago. As your life getting more ways to spend, perhaps performance car might not be a good option unless you are super rich that someone will do it for you. If time on the car is not something you have as concern or it is more important than other chores which can be ignored, then go for Performance. Otherwise, go with AWD.

Reactions: BestHand