Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide on a color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every car I've ever owned has been some shade of blue. I kind of assumed that when I ordered the Model 3 I'd get blue again. But now I'm starting to waiver. The Tesla blue is kind of dark, which in my experience means it shows dirt, scratches and swirls more easily. And depending on the primer color rock chips can stand out like a sore thumb. (if it's light)

I kind of like the dark gray, but I'm thinking that will likely have the same issues mentioned above with blue.

Black seems like it will have all the same problems but worse, so I think that's just out.

Red is ok, but I'm just not sure I like the extra attention a red car draws.

White seems like it would show scratches, chips, swirls and dings the least but I'm worried about how it'll look when it gets dirty. There are usually a good 4-5 months out of the year where I don't wash my car at all. How bad does winter road dirt look on a white car? I've heard they hide minor dust that's obvious on darker cars well, but what about full on dirt/mud?

What do you guys think is the best color for someone who wants the minimum amount of maintenance while having the car still look good? (I found a few sites that suggested Silver is best for this, but Tesla doesn't offer Silver any more so that's not an option)

Every car I've ever owned has been some shade of blue. I kind of assumed that when I ordered the Model 3 I'd get blue again. But now I'm starting to waiver. The Tesla blue is kind of dark, which in my experience means it shows dirt, scratches and swirls more easily. And depending on the primer color rock chips can stand out like a sore thumb. (if it's light)

I kind of like the dark gray, but I'm thinking that will likely have the same issues mentioned above with blue.

Black seems like it will have all the same problems but worse, so I think that's just out.

Red is ok, but I'm just not sure I like the extra attention a red car draws.

White seems like it would show scratches, chips, swirls and dings the least but I'm worried about how it'll look when it gets dirty. There are usually a good 4-5 months out of the year where I don't wash my car at all. How bad does winter road dirt look on a white car? I've heard they hide minor dust that's obvious on darker cars well, but what about full on dirt/mud?

What do you guys think is the best color for someone who wants the minimum amount of maintenance while having the car still look good? (I found a few sites that suggested Silver is best for this, but Tesla doesn't offer Silver any more so that's not an option)
I suggest MSM.

Reactions: BOBEDIGITL
Red for me only. Its safer too as other drives see you better.
Let alone the fact that everyone has black or white. Red rocks! :)))
(no offence) :)

How does the Tesla red handle scratches and chips? Do they stand out like a dark color? Or because it's multi-coat is the primer under also red so you can't really see them?

At this point I'm leaning toward either White or Red. They seem like the easiest to maintain out of the available options.

White will most likely be the easiest "every day" color, but in the winter unless you stay on top of it, it'll look... well dirty. Any road spray shows up on a white car really easy and just looks like it needs washed. Obviously the "glow" goes away if it's lightly dirty or dusty, but you'll have that with any color.

MSM looks absolutely amazing when all cleaned up, and just "normal dark silver" when not cleaned up. This color would probably have been my second pick.

The blue does look a little dark and flat in overcast or at night, but holy cow the thing glows vibrant blue in the sun! I'm excited to take delivery of mine!

The red.... well the red is weird to me. It doesn't look like it has enough depth or punch to it most times, in bright light or in shade, but every now and then it looks like the most amazing red ever. I can't tell why sometimes it looks amazing and other times it's like "that red was more expensive then blue? Why?"

I figure you can't go wrong with any color other then black, just because black requires like show room type car, or a full PPF (~$5k).

Reactions: alexGS
I can tell you that white gets dirty pretty quickly. This pic below is after me driving once in the rain (after having had just washed it)...

But I still love the color and would get it again. Especially with the aftermarket spoiler and aero wheels. I think the only other color I would have gotten is red.

IMG_0793.JPG

Yeah Black is not an option. I'm lazy. I have no intention of devoting the time required to maintain a black car. My current car is a dark blue and it's a huge PITA.

I wonder if my local service center would have one of each color to look at in person? It's not listed on the website as available for test drives, so I'm not sure if they even have cars other than the ones they're working on.

I can tell you that white gets dirty pretty quickly. This pic below is after me driving once in the rain (after having had just washed it)...

But I still love the color and would get it again. Especially with the aftermarket spoiler and aero wheels. I think the only other color I would have gotten is red.

View attachment 439397

Ugh. I wish they still offered Silver. That's supposed to be one of the easiest to maintain.

Yeah Black is not an option. I'm lazy. I have no intention of devoting the time required to maintain a black car. My current car is a dark blue and it's a huge PITA.

I wonder if my local service center would have one of each color to look at in person? It's not listed on the website as available for test drives, so I'm not sure if they even have cars other than the ones they're working on.
My local Tesla dealer had at least one of each color (most were customer car, but you can still see the color).

To me, the blue and the red also look very different depending on the light hitting it.

All colors have their pluses and minuses. Black is easy to paint/fix if you have any scrapes but obviously a nuisance to keep clean. White is near impossible to fix without blending paint - i.e. costing a fortune. MSM is Dolphin Blue, in my opinion, and one of the worst colors. Wish there were a steel grey available. Sigh.

I'm going to lease, so I don't want to spend money on things like wraps. I just want to get the best looking, yet easiest to maintain, color available OEM.

Ah - sorry, I missed the part about leasing. I think I would still go with the free white if I was leasing and not spend the extra $2,000 to get red. How long is the lease for ? I got Deep Blue Metallic..