Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't enable FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah shame on me... I listen to the ride the lightning pod cast weekly and I heard months ago that they had stopped making people get a good safety score to get FSD... my understanding was all you had to do was pay for it.... and you could pay monthly or all at once. I wanted to dip my toe in to see how it worked before ponying up $9000 more.
Wait until you read on these forums that Tesla has opened up new enrollments for FSDb again before you subscribe. Since you are on 12.5.3, you will not get FSDb 11.4.x because it is being released on 2023.6.x, which is older than what you currently have. So, in addition to waiting for Tesla to accept new testers, you also need to wait until FSD is released against a new version of software than what you have. This is because Tesla DOES NOT roll back to older software.

The most common advice given here is to stop installing software updates until FSDb passes up your current version. Your car will automatically download new software as it becomes available, but you should NOT install it. FSDb is almost always behind the main production software except for the holiday release, so, if you keep installing new software, the only opportunity you will ever have to get FSDb is at the end of the year, and maybe not even then, depending on how Tesla sequences the rollouts.

So, save your money and cancel your subscription to FSD until your software is older than the FSD software release AND you see that Tesla is adding new testers to FSDb.

• Helpful
Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m sure they know they are being deceptive and the public pays for FSD with the assumption it’s FSD beta when it’s not and they’re getting free money this way. But the devil is in the details and technically they are not doing anything wrong since they don’t mention giving access to FSD beta by paying for FSD. It’s just that’s what people assume.

They should just add the stop sign and traffic light control to EAP and make “FSD” be FSD beta only. Then they can be more transparent and only charge people after their car actually downloads FSD beta firmware and they can make use of it.

Reactions: mgs333
.....They should just add the stop sign and traffic light control to EAP and make “FSD” be FSD beta only. Then they can be more transparent and only charge people after their car actually downloads FSD beta firmware and they can make use of it.
.....or probably even better they should have kept the FSD Capability Package price at $10k (or less) until FSD Beta/Autosteer on City Streets was available as a feature and not offered the confusing EAP option. Then make the subscription for the only FSD Capability Package $100 a month and offer a FSD Beta upgrade for a total of $200 a month. If you chose this then you are charged $100 a month until you are accepted into the FSD Beta and then goes to $200 a month. Once FSD Beta comes an included feature then just increase the base subscription to $200 a month.

Reactions: preilly44
.....or probably even better they should have kept the FSD Capability Package price at $10k (or less) until FSD Beta/Autosteer on City Streets was available as a feature and not offered the confusing EAP option. Then make the subscription for the only FSD Capability Package $100 a month and offer a FSD Beta upgrade for a total of $200 a month. If you chose this then you are charged $100 a month until you are accepted into the FSD Beta and then goes to $200 a month. Once FSD Beta comes an included feature then just increase the base subscription to $200 a month.
They can't charge for Beta then do suspensions. That's why it's setup like it is. It benefits and protects Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
They can't charge for Beta then do suspensions. That's why it's setup like it is. It benefits and protects Tesla.
Yes, I missed that although Tesla could just revert back to $100 a month and refund any difference in a Beta suspension. Another way might be to offer $100 a month with only limited time allowed on FSD Beta (like 7 daysk a month) to entice people to upgrade/buy the package.

Of course I'm just throwing spaghetti and don't have a dog in the hunt. I do empathize with the confusion Tesla creates by their naming and the trivial feature upgrade from EAP. However it is CLEARLY stated what you get and it is 100% caveat emptor.