Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't enable FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Invite? I was never invited. I paid for it on 2 cars. My car has FSD beta code

Have you ever developed sw? Beta has a meaning in sw releases world.

That said, help the OP get his sw or money returned. Thats the issue. Bye
You have to specifically request FSD beta (on top of already paying for FSD) and get accepted into the beta program.

For a long time people waited months or even years while maintaining safety scores before they were accepted.

For a short time last year they pretty much “accepted” everyone that requested it, but with the caveat they had to wait for the car software to update to an FSD beta version to get the FSD beta features, which often would take months since general software branch version is ahead of FSD beta branch.

It’s just another way Tesla is slowing/gatekeeping FSD beta enrollments. Now they are graying out the FSD beta request button until they want to allow more people.

It’s definitely confusing the way Tesla names it, but FSD and FSD beta essentially two distinct products. Paying for FSD does not automatically mean you get FSD beta.

You can think of it like FSD = Windows 11 and FSD beta = Windows 12 beta (or whatever the next version is called). A new version with new features but with bugs that still need to be worked out and not ready for public final release so you have to specifically request to download it and Microsoft can limit who they want to have access to it. So just because you have Windows 11 installed does not automatically mean you get Windows 12 beta, just like having FSD does not automatically mean you get FSD beta.

.....It’s definitely confusing the way Tesla names it, but FSD and FSD beta essentially two distinct products. Paying for FSD does not automatically mean you get FSD beta.....
Actually there are 3. ;) There is the FSD Computer also aka: HW3. Tesla is guilty of poor nomenclature but after 10 explanations you would think it would be obvious that the FSD Capability Package does NOT include FSD Beta (which should be called Autosteer on City Streets Beta).

IMG_0328.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Correction: You do NOT pay for FSD Beta. It is a privilege grated by Tesla. It may become a product offered soon but as of now it is not sold. It is listed as Coming Soon (Autosteer on City Streets).

View attachment 938819
So let me get this right...

$6K gets you EAP (except Auto Park, Summon and Smart Summon are disabled). So you get auto lane change and NAP.

$15K for FSD gets you all of EAP (except Auto Partk, Summon and Smart Summon which are disabled), plus the ability to stop and stop signs, and all lights.... even green ones!

With FSD you have the option of enrolling in Beta (Unless you don't because you're version of SW is too new). And it looks like Beta will then only stop ar RED lights (not green ones), and make turns. Does Beta allow Summon/SS/Auto Park to work?

Thanks

$6K gets you EAP (except Auto Park, Summon and Smart Summon are disabled). So you get auto lane change and NAP.

$15K for FSD gets you all of EAP (except Auto Partk, Summon and Smart Summon which are disabled), plus the ability to stop and stop signs, and all lights.... even green ones!

With FSD you have the option of enrolling in Beta (Unless you don't because you're version of SW is too new). And it looks like Beta will then only stop ar RED lights (not green ones), and make turns. Does Beta allow Summon/SS/Auto Park to work?

Thanks
Pretty much, yeah.

Summon/smart summon/Autopark is disabled on all cars without USS.

Again and AGAIN you are conflating the FSD Capability Package (offered by Tesla) with FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) that is only offered by invite and NOT part of the FSD Capability Package. They are NOT the same and you ONLY pay for the FSD Capability Package which the OP got.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Not hard at all.

What is hard to understand is why Tesla, when it knew OP's car cannot take advantage of the FSD Capability package, allowed OP to enroll in the $100 per month program to just get stop lights (the only non-FSD bonus feature include in the FSD Capability package) and then refuses to refund the $100 when it is pointed out that they sold the OP something that they knew would not work on OP's vehicle for the period of time they are insisting OP pay them for.

I find it hard to understand that won't win in Small Claims Court or with a credit card charge back. Tesla controls all the software on the vehicle and took the OP's money for a subscription that they are blocking the use of.

• Disagree
Reactions: ai4px and MP3Mike
OP's car cannot take advantage of FSD Beta capability for the length of time Tesla sold them access. And Tesla knew that when they made the purchase button live in the app.
Again, again, again you are WRONG. Look at what Tesla says you get in the FSD Capability Package and tell me where it says ANYTHING about getting FSD Beta. Here it is straight from the Tesla website.

READ THIS.
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Again, again, again you are WRONG. Look at what Tesla says you get in the FSD Capability Package and tell me where it says ANYTHING about getting FSD Beta. Here it is straight from the Tesla website.

READ THIS.
View attachment 938946
It's been proven they won't read it. They want what they believe is offered with FSD subscription/purchase, not what it clearly states is offered.

Thanks
FSD will go through green lights with confirmation; stalk or pedal.

Beta doesn't enable Summon/Auto park if you do not have USS and neither are good anyway.

It's been proven they won't read it. They want what they believe is offered with FSD subscription/purchase, not what it clearly states is offered.
I know but can't help it. 🤪 Here it is STRAIGHT from the Release Notes. Um doesn't seem to say you are entitled to FSD Beta to me. 🤣 I'm going out on a limb and say limited access means it is.......well limited access, but I could be wrong.🤔

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 4.41.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
They have paused new enrollments it seems.
New enrollments were disabled when NHTSA strong armed Tesla into issuing the recent recall against FSD beta. At that time, the FSDb request button was grayed out. Tesla resolved the recall with version 11.3.x, but apparently has not yet opened up the enrollments again. Hopefully, they will do so with the rollout of 11.4.x, once that occurs. But, only Tesla knows. The recall does seem to have thrown a monkey wrench into the process.

Perhaps Tesla needs some confirmation from NHTSA that their recall fixes were adequate to resolve the issues before they can resume FSD beta enrollments?

OP's car cannot take advantage of FSD Beta capability for the length of time Tesla sold them access. And Tesla knew that when they made the purchase button live in the app.
It's important to understand that "FSD Beta" means "the best test program of additional autonomy functionality" (that functionality is known as "Autosteer on city streets"). A beta test program is operated by a company to get people outside the company to test their product. This is done to spot potential problems in the product before it is put up for sale. That's why nobody can pay for "FSD Beta" - you can't buy into a best test program.

Note that there's also an "alpha test program", which is testing by the company employees. It's done to get some testing without showing any embarrassing flubs or, in the case of a safety-critical system like autonomy software, dangerous problems with the product. Although nobody ever seems to use the term, each time Tesla finishes up a new version of the software that's in development, they first turn it over to employees to play with. That's the "alpha test" period. Unless the software passes that test, they won't allow people in the beta test program to do anything with it.

With this in mind, when the OP subscribed to "FSD", they got access to the functionality that Tesla had released as a product. That's just "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control". That's already gone through alpha and beta testing and turned into a product. The rest of the autonomy features are still undergoing testing, and subscribing to FSD doesn't automatically make someone part of the beta test program of those features.

Knowing all this means that Tesla is under no legal obligation to return any money. They listed a product, someone subscribed to it and they got exactly the functionality of that product as described. The OP is unhappy because he thought that he would get access to software that is currently under development and being tested. I certainly empathize with him because 1) the terminology is confusing and 2) any company should have at least enough good will to refund money when a customer mistakenly orders a product - especially for software. Tesla is in the stone age when it comes to customer treatment.

Actually there are 3. ;) There is the FSD Computer also aka: HW3....
Here is another Confused/Conflation thread because of FSD and this time it is about the FSD Computer. 🤔 🙃🙃 Just can't make this stuff up. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Pretty miffed today. We have a MY with EAP and decided to subscribe to FSD for the month to see how it works. Can't enable it. Says "available on a future update". Spoke to customer service, they say no refunds on subscriptions. BUT I CAN"T EVEN ENABLE IT. Spoke to next tier up at customer service and he explained that when in that subscription I have access to navigate on autopilot and proceeded to list those features. I explained that I already had all that with EAP. He said there is one additional feature of stop for stoplights and stop signs. So I just paid $100 to have the car stop for stoplights? yup.
He said it needs to be better exlained on the app but it is on the web site. Youve got to be kidding me! I bought it on the app.
As I said... miffed. fraud or bait and switch?? not delivering the goods?

unless you say exactly what firmware you have on your Model Y, it’s hard to say what your path forward would be.

There are answers out there, but it depends on you firmware as you likely know from years of Tesla usage.

Has anyone done a charge back on their credit card over this?

Tesla absolutely knew the car could not access FSDb. So it sold the OP a license that could not be used.

I'd be interested if the credit card company would refund the money.

Alternatively, sue in small claims court.

Again, I can't stress this enough, the seller knows the product won't work with one's vehicle. Therefore the seller should not even activate that button in the app.
That's exactly where I am. I bought a subscription to FSD beta. The pop up in the car said I needed to go activate it. Ok, cool. I went to the autopilot menu and the FSD beta button is greyed out and said "availaible in an upcoming software release". I see what people are saying now, but the wording is NOT clear from Tesla. Hey, it's a heck of a revenue stream.... get people to pay for something they can't use. Now if I didn't already have EAP, then the lane change and NOA would be nice... but I already had those features.

They have paused new enrollments it seems.
yeah shame on me... I listen to the ride the lightning pod cast weekly and I heard months ago that they had stopped making people get a good safety score to get FSD... my understanding was all you had to do was pay for it.... and you could pay monthly or all at once. I wanted to dip my toe in to see how it worked before ponying up $9000 more.