Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't enable FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty miffed today. We have a MY with EAP and decided to subscribe to FSD for the month to see how it works. Can't enable it. Says "available on a future update". Spoke to customer service, they say no refunds on subscriptions. BUT I CAN"T EVEN ENABLE IT. Spoke to next tier up at customer service and he explained that when in that subscription I have access to navigate on autopilot and proceeded to list those features. I explained that I already had all that with EAP. He said there is one additional feature of stop for stoplights and stop signs. So I just paid $100 to have the car stop for stoplights? yup.
He said it needs to be better exlained on the app but it is on the web site. Youve got to be kidding me! I bought it on the app.
As I said... miffed. fraud or bait and switch?? not delivering the goods?

Reactions: CDrury
CONFUSION/CONFLATION alert.

You subscribed to the FSD Capability package.

You incorrectly thought you were getting FSD Beta.

You need to turn on the features like Traffic Light and StopSign and Preview in the Autopilot menu. They are Off by default. If you want FSD Beta you have to request it from the menu and wait until it is released to you.

Pretty miffed today. We have a MY with EAP and decided to subscribe to FSD for the month to see how it works. Can't enable it. Says "available on a future update". Spoke to customer service, they say no refunds on subscriptions. BUT I CAN"T EVEN ENABLE IT. Spoke to next tier up at customer service and he explained that when in that subscription I have access to navigate on autopilot and proceeded to list those features. I explained that I already had all that with EAP. He said there is one additional feature of stop for stoplights and stop signs. So I just paid $100 to have the car stop for stoplights? yup.
He said it needs to be better exlained on the app but it is on the web site. Youve got to be kidding me! I bought it on the app.
As I said... miffed. fraud or bait and switch?? not delivering the goods?
Your are not the first one to pay for FSDbeta and then learn it won't be pushed to your car.

You are probably on software release of 2023.x
FSDbeta is on release 2022.45.x

Tesla doesn't have a newer version of your car's software with FSDbeta, and they won't go backwards with software, so you are stuck. Perhaps you can get your $100 back

Your are not the first one to pay for FSDbeta and then learn it won't be pushed to your car....
Correction: You do NOT pay for FSD Beta. It is a privilege grated by Tesla. It may become a product offered soon but as of now it is not sold. It is listed as Coming Soon (Autosteer on City Streets).

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 8.14.32 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Correction: You do NOT pay for FSD Beta. It is a privilege grated by Tesla. It may become a product offered soon but as of now it is not sold. It is listed as Coming Soon (Autosteer on City Streets).

View attachment 938819
Technically it is a S/W License but the person still is out $100 for a feature they cannot use, yet Tesla took their money and provided less than promised. That's the focus.

Reactions: ai4px
I guess I am living in a dream world then. My 2 Tesla's that have FSDbeta paid-for (well Tesla took my money) enabled on screen and even stop and go at red/green lights, and stop signs, and do turn by turns on city streets, isn't really happening. I must be hallucinating.
You are absolutely misunderstanding.

You paid for FSD, not FSD Beta. There is no way to specifically pay for FSD Beta.

You are absolutely misunderstanding.

You paid for FSD, not FSD Beta. There is no way to specifically pay for FSD Beta.

But the only way to get FSD Beta is to pay for FSD first. That is the necessary (but not sufficient) condition to be able to get FSD Beta at some point. If you don’t have FSD (either paid monthly or when you bought the vehicle), they you can’t get FSD Beta.

Reactions: FireMedic
But the only way to get FSD Beta is to pay for FSD first. That is the necessary (but not sufficient) condition to be able to get FSD Beta at some point. If you don’t have FSD (either paid monthly or when you bought the vehicle), they you can’t get FSD Beta.
Correct.

Then you have to wait until Tesla decides to allow new testers into the early access program that is FSD Beta. Until December, you even had a safety score test to qualify.

It's never been a given or promise that anyone gets Beta outside of a small 1-2 month window. Even then, you had to have the proper software level to get in. Outside of the Holiday update each year, Beta is typically months behind the public release.

Technically it is a S/W License but the person still is out $100 for a feature they cannot use, yet Tesla took their money and provided less than promised. That's the focus.
They paid for FSD and they got FSD. FSD is currently nothing more than EAP + red light and stop sign control.

FSD beta is a completely separate thing and needs to be requested. You don’t get it just by simply subscribing to FSD and Tesla never promised that or advertised FSD beta features when paying for FSD. But you do need FSD first in order to be even eligible to sign up for FSD beta. Not everyone gets FSD beta immediately as it requires a specific software version and they can limit enrollment in the program as they see fit.

Has anyone done a charge back on their credit card over this?

Tesla absolutely knew the car could not access FSDb. So it sold the OP a license that could not be used.

I'd be interested if the credit card company would refund the money.

Alternatively, sue in small claims court.

Again, I can't stress this enough, the seller knows the product won't work with one's vehicle. Therefore the seller should not even activate that button in the app.

Tesla absolutely knew the car could not access FSDb. So it sold the OP a license that could not be used.

Again, I can't stress this enough, the seller knows the product won't work with one's vehicle. Therefore the seller should not even activate that button in the app.
You would have 0 chance to win in small claims court or chargeback as we've already detailed in this thread as Tesla doesn't offer FSD Beta for purchase or subscription.

Reactions: BrianGragg

Tesla has never promised FSD beta with FSD purchase. People often conflate the two and misunderstand that, but they paid for FSD and got FSD. It was never a guarantee you will get FSD beta if you sign up for FSD.

Reactions: BrianGragg
OMG, everyone is so busy dissecting terminology. Yes, one pays $15K, or $199/month or $100/month for FSD. But FSD is only in a beta stage. So Tesla covers their butt with "beta" in the description in the s/w release in the car. Same with Autosteer. That's beta too but there is no charge for that. Smart Summon has beta too, last time I looked.

Stop dissecting the terminology. Its about the $100.

The OP paid $100 to go from EAP to FSD as a trial. But Tesla won't/cannot give him any FSD or FSDb since the s/w rev he/she is on is newer than the publicly released code. This is the issue, $100 spent with little or nothing to show for it.

OMG, everyone is so busy dissecting terminology. Yes, one pays $15K, or $199/month or $100/month for FSD. But FSD is only in a beta stage. So Tesla covers their butt with "beta" in the description in the s/w release in the car. Same with Autosteer. That's beta too but there is no charge for that. Smart Summon has beta too, last time I looked.

Stop dissecting the terminology. Its about the $100.

The OP paid $100 to go from EAP to FSD as a trial. But Tesla won't/cannot give him any FSD or FSDb since the s/w rev he/she is on is newer than the publicly released code. This is the issue, $100 spent with little or nothing to show for it.
Again and AGAIN you are conflating the FSD Capability Package (offered by Tesla) with FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) that is only offered by invite and NOT part of the FSD Capability Package. They are NOT the same and you ONLY pay for the FSD Capability Package which the OP got.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Again and AGAIN you are conflating the FSD Capability Package (offered by Tesla) with FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) that is only offered by invite and NOT part of the FSD Capability Package. They are NOT the same and you ONLY pay for the FSD Capability Package which the OP got.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?
Invite? I was never invited. I paid for it on 2 cars. My car has FSD beta code

Have you ever developed sw? Beta has a meaning in sw releases world.

That said, help the OP get his sw or money returned. Thats the issue. Bye

Attachments

• 20230518_115619.jpg
    20230518_115619.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 97