Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't find Tesla Level 1 changer. Thoughts on Lectron NEMA 5-15 Charger 16Amp ($185 on Amazon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, can't find a Tesla level 1 charger. Picking up Model 3 tomorrow.
Getting a Level 2 charger installed in a month. Not my primary vehicle, but figure at some point down the road I will want a "mobile" charger.
So figured I can just supercharge as Plan A, and trickle charge as Plan B for the next month as I wait for my electrician.

Has anyone used this? Think using a third party charger has any issues?

100% agree -- stick with the Tesla Mobile Connector, which includes a 5-15 and 14-50, and you can add additional dongles as needed. It's just a hair over $200. You can do up to 32A that way.

Lectron stuff is cheap Chinese stuff, not UL listed, etc. It'll probably work fine... until it doesn't (nozzle melts, etc). With the TMC you get very well engineered equipment, temp sensors throughout the system, Tesla warranty, etc.

As the title says, can't find a Tesla level 1 charger. Picking up Model 3 tomorrow.
Getting a Level 2 charger installed in a month. Not my primary vehicle, but figure at some point down the road I will want a "mobile" charger.
So figured I can just supercharge as Plan A, and trickle charge as Plan B for the next month as I wait for my electrician.

Has anyone used this? Think using a third party charger has any issues?
https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector says its available right now.

OK, this is easy. In the trunk of your Model 3 should be the Mobile Connector. (If not, buy one at the Service Center; it's a couple hundred bucks.) It will be in a nifty cloth bag.

When you open the bag and look inside, there'll be a cable with a Tesla connector (the one that goes into your car) and a bit of a thick, electronically-looking thing with the cable on one end and an open socket looking end into which any of a number of adapters can be plugged. In the cloth bag, you should find a relatively short cable with what looks like a standard 120 VAC wall plug on one end; the other end clearly goes into the electronically-looking thing. Put them together.

Plug the 120 VAC plug end into your handy garage 120 VAC socket. Plug the thick, Tesla connector into the car. Ta-Da! It's a Level 1 charger!

Level 1 = 120 VAC
Level 2 = 208/240 VAC
Level 3... Well, there's DC fast charging, so I suppose that's what that is.

Just so we're clear on all this: The actual charger is in the car. Tesla calls the thingie and its adapters a Mobile Connector and the Level 2 whosie that one plants on a wall somewhere a Wall Connector. Because, well, they connect city power to the car.

The various connectors that one can buy (Mobile Connector, Wall Connector from Tesla, Juiceboxes and $DIETY only knows how many other Wall Connector-like things) have just enough electronics in them to tell the car what the connector can supply. The car then says, "Goody. Fire it up.", then draws the amount of current that the bit of electronics in the Mobile/Wall connector says it can draw.

The Mobile Connector is kind of versatile. It takes, what, ten or fifteen types of adapters. Two of them are "Level 1", in the sense that they can plug into a 15A (two vertical blades and a ground) or 20A (one vertical blade, one horizontal blade, and a ground) sockets at 120 VAC. There's a whole slew of 240 VAC adapters so, if one has, say, a NEMA14-50 240 VAC socket on the wall, one can plug the Mobile Connector into that and charge at Level 2. Here's a link to a picture of all the nifty different kinds of connectors one can find in the U.S.. Here's a link to Tesla's Page Of Adapters.

For the Teslas in my place, both came with the NEMA5-15 (Level 1, 120 VAC, 15A plug) and the NEMA14-50 (240 VAC) in the cloth bag.

Now, for charging rates. Turns out that the maximum current that the Mobile Connector can do is 32A. So, even if you plug a Mobile Connector into a 50A NEMA14-50 socket, 32A, max, is what you're going to get. See the chart in Tesla's Page Of Adapters for the charging rate on a M3; it's around 30 miles of charge per hour at 32A and 240 VAC. At Level 1, it's more like 4.5 to 6 miles of charge per hour; less, if it's cold out. (The battery needs to be above a certain temperature to charge; the power available at 120 VAC and 12A may not be enough to get the battery warm enough to charge, if it's 15F or less out there.) So, definitely, L2 is the way to go.

Right now, the cheapest L2 wall connector out there is probably the Gen 3 Wall Connector from Tesla, which is around $350. But you'll need to pay an electrician (and one who can do it to code) to put in the wire and the 60A breaker so you can get that sweet 48A 240 VAC charging goodness, which will charge your car at the maximum rate. If your breaker box is in the garage, then you're probably talking around $1k for the install.

If you already have a 240 VAC outlet in the garage, then you can Save Money by using a Mobile Connector, and plenty of people do that.

Hope this helps.

OK, this is easy. In the trunk of your Model 3 should be the Mobile Connector. (If not, buy one at the Service Center; it's a couple hundred bucks.) It will be in a nifty cloth bag.
Tesla's don't come with the Mobile Connector anymore, now it's an additional cost.

My 2018 did come with it and I initially charged my car from a garage 120 volt outlet. Then I installed a 240 volt outlet and purchased another Mobile connector, but by then they only came with one adapter, the 120 volt. The service center I purchased it from let me swap out the 120 volt adapter for the 240 volt adapter. So now I have a Mobile Connector that stays plugged in, in my garage and a Mobile Connector in my Model 3. I don't need a permanently mounted wall connecter as the 32 amps is enough charge with my current set up for the price. And I can't think of a situation where I'd need 48 amps of charging at home, because I charge at night while I'm sleeping.

Lectron 110V 16A 5-15 J1772 chargerTesla Mobile Connector
Price$174.99 (Lectron web site)$230 (Tesla web site)
Plug to wallNEMA 5-15NEMA 5-15 and 14-50; optional additional plugs
Current and voltage12A 120V on 5-15, 16A 120V on 5-2012A 120V on 5-15 or 5-20, 32A 240V on 14-50; optional additional plugs have various current and voltage (with optional 5-20 plug, can do 16A 120V)
Plug to carJ1772 (use adapter included with Tesla car)Tesla

For a portable EVSE for use with a Tesla car, the Lectron's only advantages are a lower price and ability to do 16A 120V as-is if you have a 5-20 outlet (but the Tesla Mobile Connector can do that with the optional 5-20 plug). But the Tesla Mobile Connector is much more versatile generally for a portable EVSE to charge a Tesla car.

Ok, got a confirmation from Tesla that the mobile charger has shipped. Returning the Lectron tomorrow. No idea why people are buying the Tesla chargers on eBay for $60 over (some are selling new for $300) so odd.
One must do their due diligence when buying anything off of eBay. I've been on the site since 2001 and you either can get a great deal or be reamed.

Sometimes the seller doesn't know or doesn't do their own homework on what their item can sell for (i.e, the MSRP). Or they are trying to provide an item which some buyers do not normally have access to but at a price premium. And sometimes the seller is actively trying to flip the item for some major profit.

Ok, got a confirmation from Tesla that the mobile charger has shipped. Returning the Lectron tomorrow. No idea why people are buying the Tesla chargers on eBay for $60 over (some are selling new for $300) so odd.
Some of them may have multiple adapters, which cost more, but I'm afraid it's mostly greed. Sellers know that they are sometimes temporarily out of stock, and they want to prey on people who are desparate for a way to charge, not realizing that waiting a few days will usually find them back in stock. My rule of thumb for used electronics is take what a new one (or equivalent) costs today, cut that in half, then either add or subtract from that depending on condition, age, etc... Practically brand new? That 50% may go up to 75-80%. Looks beat up or the new ones are significantly better? 50% goes to 40% or lower. If after I've done that calculation, the market seems much higher, I tend to give it a pass.

Also, some of the Gen1 mobile connectors are coveted because they will provide 40a charging where the current generation max out at 32a. However, I wouldn't buy one as they've been off the market for a few years now and no way a years old mobile connector is worth that kind of money. Also, the old adapters were somewhat prone to failure, and the cables don't last forever, so depending on how much use it's gotten, it might not even really be safe to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernal.dennis@
Some of them may have multiple adapters, which cost more, but I'm afraid it's mostly greed. Sellers know that they are sometimes temporarily out of stock, and they want to prey on people who are desparate for a way to charge, not realizing that waiting a few days will usually find them back in stock. My rule of thumb for used electronics is take what a new one (or equivalent) costs today, cut that in half, then either add or subtract from that depending on condition, age, etc... Practically brand new? That 50% may go up to 75-80%. Looks beat up or the new ones are significantly better? 50% goes to 40% or lower. If after I've done that calculation, the market seems much higher, I tend to give it a pass.

Also, some of the Gen1 mobile connectors are coveted because they will provide 40a charging where the current generation max out at 32a. However, I wouldn't buy one as they've been off the market for a few years now and no way a years old mobile connector is worth that kind of money. Also, the old adapters were somewhat prone to failure, and the cables don't last forever, so depending on how much use it's gotten, it might not even really be safe to use.

I priced used items I sell and buy the exact same way!

Makes sense about items being at a premium simply cuz they are available.

Happy to be able to use a Tesla product to charge my M3.

Lectron stuff is cheap Chinese stuff, not UL listed, etc. It'll probably work fine... until it doesn't (nozzle melts, etc). With the TMC you get very well engineered equipment, temp sensors throughout the system, Tesla warranty, etc.
I bought a Lectron 40A mobile "charger" because Tesla no longer offers one. It's twice as heavy as Tesla's Mobile Connector and has a shorter cable, but seems just as well built as something from Tesla. I haven't had a problem with it so far and use it nearly every day.

It is ETL (Electrical Testing Laboratories) listed, complies with FCC regulations, and meets Energy Star requirements. ETL is another testing laboratory like UL (Underwriters Laboratories). ETL and UL are two companies that do basically the same thing and both are recognized by OSHA.

The Lectron unit is made in China, but so are Tesla's. Both mobile chargers have a one-year warranty.

One issue that I DO have with Lectron's level 1 charger is that the current version is rated at 15 amps, but it has a NEMA 5-15 plug that should be limited to 12 amps.

I bought a Lectron 40A mobile "charger" because Tesla no longer offers one. It's twice as heavy as Tesla's Mobile Connector and has a shorter cable, but seems just as well built as something from Tesla. I haven't had a problem with it so far and use it nearly every day.

It is ETL (Electrical Testing Laboratories) listed, complies with FCC regulations, and meets Energy Star requirements. ETL is another testing laboratory like UL (Underwriters Laboratories). ETL and UL are two companies that do basically the same thing and both are recognized by OSHA.

The Lectron unit is made in China, but so are Tesla's. Both mobile chargers have a one-year warranty.

One issue that I DO have with Lectron's level 1 charger is that the current version is rated at 15 amps, but it has a NEMA 5-15 plug that should be limited to 12 amps.
Um. So, got a question about that.

The general National Electric Code rule, which works in the U.S. (and probably in Canada) is that, for a given circuit amperage, if one has a continuous heavy load (hello, Tesla!) then one is not allowed to draw more than 80% of the circuit rating.

In addition, the "circuit amperage" requirement means that the breaker, the socket, and the wire must all match. So, for example, on a typical house circuit with a 15A breaker, there's a NEMA5-15 socket (the usual with two blades and a round pin), and wire in the wall rated for at least 15A.

Now, the "connector", either Tesla's or your Lectron special doesn't itself limit the current; the "connector" literally connects house power to the car. The cutesy thing the Connector does is, through a protocol, tells the car what the circuit is good for, then the car itself limits the amount of current to that 80% number.

Tesla's Mobile Connector has a bunch of adapters; each adapter has pins on it and maybe some electronics that tells the electronics in the body of the Mobile Connector what it's connected to; so, when the car asks, the Mobile Connector tells the car, and that's kind of how it works.

So, if you've got your Lectron plugged into a NEMA5-15, the car itself will limit the current to 12A. Which is safe. Is that what you're seeing?

There is one possible snivey. There exists a plug type, NEMA5-20, that's 120V, but is rated to 20A. Modern building codes usually have one of those put into the garage; one can tell, both because the breaker for that socket has a "20" on it, and one of the slots in the body of the socket looks like a "T", so it can take a right-angle blade. Tesla does sell the adapter for that (with the right-angle blade), and, in that case, one would get 16A draw (80% of 20A). Don't think the Lectron would know about that, though. Comment?

Um. So, got a question about that.

The general National Electric Code rule, which works in the U.S. (and probably in Canada) is that, for a given circuit amperage, if one has a continuous heavy load (hello, Tesla!) then one is not allowed to draw more than 80% of the circuit rating.

In addition, the "circuit amperage" requirement means that the breaker, the socket, and the wire must all match. So, for example, on a typical house circuit with a 15A breaker, there's a NEMA5-15 socket (the usual with two blades and a round pin), and wire in the wall rated for at least 15A.

Now, the "connector", either Tesla's or your Lectron special doesn't itself limit the current; the "connector" literally connects house power to the car. The cutesy thing the Connector does is, through a protocol, tells the car what the circuit is good for, then the car itself limits the amount of current to that 80% number.

Tesla's Mobile Connector has a bunch of adapters; each adapter has pins on it and maybe some electronics that tells the electronics in the body of the Mobile Connector what it's connected to; so, when the car asks, the Mobile Connector tells the car, and that's kind of how it works.

So, if you've got your Lectron plugged into a NEMA5-15, the car itself will limit the current to 12A. Which is safe. Is that what you're seeing?

There is one possible snivey. There exists a plug type, NEMA5-20, that's 120V, but is rated to 20A. Modern building codes usually have one of those put into the garage; one can tell, both because the breaker for that socket has a "20" on it, and one of the slots in the body of the socket looks like a "T", so it can take a right-angle blade. Tesla does sell the adapter for that (with the right-angle blade), and, in that case, one would get 16A draw (80% of 20A). Don't think the Lectron would know about that, though. Comment?
My Lectron "charger" has a 14-50 plug only and is fixed at telling the vehicle to charge at up to 40A.

The level 1 Lectron Tesla charger that has a NEMA 5-15 plug only is advertised as a 15A unit.

The only native and most affordable Level 1 Tesla Charger to conveniently charge your Tesla using any standard 110V or 120V outlet.

The Lectron level 1 Tesla charger with a NEMA 5-15 plug provides 15 Amps of charging current, delivering 1.65 kW for charging your Tesla at home, outdoors, or anywhere with a compatible NEMA 5-15 outlet.

110 x 15 = 1.65 kW

One of the reviewers said that they appreciate the 15A capability over other chargers which are 12A (which would be correct for a NEMA 5-15 plug since 80% of 15A is 12A).

Their level 1 J1772 charger claims 16A capability, yet still has a NEMA 5-15 plug only.

It appears to me that Lectron is banking on NEMA 5-15 receptacles being connected to a 20A breaker using 12 AWG wire which does meet code, but isn't universal - especially in older homes.

I picked one of those up for in our condo parking where I charge at 10a/110v ( limited by car setting) . It has worked well for the last two years. However, for about the same price you can pickup a dual voltage l1/l2 16a lectron evse, which is a better deal and offers some future proofing but a bit more hassle.

My Lectron "charger" has a 14-50 plug only and is fixed at telling the vehicle to charge at up to 40A.

The level 1 Lectron Tesla charger that has a NEMA 5-15 plug only is advertised as a 15A unit.

110 x 15 = 1.65 kW

One of the reviewers said that they appreciate the 15A capability over other chargers which are 12A (which would be correct for a NEMA 5-15 plug since 80% of 15A is 12A).

Their level 1 J1772 charger claims 16A capability, yet still has a NEMA 5-15 plug only.

It appears to me that Lectron is banking on NEMA 5-15 receptacles being connected to a 20A breaker using 12 AWG wire which does meet code, but isn't universal - especially in older homes.
OK: Your Lectron... let's call it a "Connector", since, in this case, the actual charger is in the car.. has a NEMA14-50 plug. The NEMA14-50 socket that one plugs that into should have both the wire (good for 50A+) and breaker (50A); and, so, you should get 80% of 50A = 40A, so you're good.

Except for a snivvey of which you should be aware. As it happens, in the 240 V world, there are 10A sockets; 20A sockets; 30A sockets, and 50A sockets. But, as it happens, no 40A sockets.

And then, of course, there are things like clothes driers and stoves that are 40A.

The problem, so called, is that Electricians Hate Spending Money On Expensive Copper. So, somehow, there has appeared in the NEC an Exception: One can use a NEMA14-50 socket on a 40A Circuit With 40A wire and a 40A breaker. I don't actually know, but I presume that any such usage should be marked and labeled so that, later, if some person with a welder (or Tesla) shows up, they don't draw 40A on a 40A circuit, which is a good way to try and start a house fire.

You got a 50A breaker there, right? (You probably do, but just giving you a thing to check. Safety.)

And that is hypothesized why the Tesla Mobile Connector only does 32A with the NEMA14-50 adapter. The idea is that Tesla has no idea if one has a real 50A circuit out there, in which case 40A is fine, or one of these NEC-exception 40A circuits, in which case 32A (80% of 40A) is the only safe way to go. So the idea was that they opted for safety.

OK. So, here's the Lectron pulling 16A on a NEMA5-15 socket. That Is Just Wrong. Just like everything else about that NEC 80% rule, it's not just the wire, it's the hardware. A NEMA5-20 socket is rated for 20A usage and can handle 16A indefinitely. A NEMA5-15 socket is very, definitely, not rated for 16A or 15A continuous. Now, the way that a NEMA5-20 socket is put together, one can plug either a NEMA5-20 plug (that's the one with one of the blades at right angles) or a regular NEMA5-15 plug, either will go in.

Just took a walk out to my garage; 2004 construction, so relatively new. The GFI outlet is NEMA5-15 and the breaker box has a 15A breaker on it.

And this is why, when people talk about certain Chinese companies, the words, "Sketchy" comes to mind. Also: The words, "Lawsuit proof", because the principals are in China and don't give a Rat's #@%.

If the setup is with you, with a NEMA5-15, 12AWG, and a 20A breaker.. You're still trying to risk you, and your family's, lives.

Basic: Power dissipation in conductors goes as the square of the current. So, a NEMA5-15 at an NEC max continuous load of 12A is dissipating some power at the contacts, both where the wire's connected to the body of the thing and the sliding contacts on the blades. That power creates heat energy that has to be dissipated. That gets dissipated through physical heat conduction and radiation. The result is that there's a temperature rise on the plastic and metal parts in there that, when the environment is at its maximum temperature, is below the temperature where the plastic and insulation starts degrading. And the manufacturer has data and test results to prove it.

Does the manufacturer want to beef up the heat dissipation and temperature so this 15A socket can handle more than that 12A continuous load? Heck no. That's Wasting Money And Reducing Profits and Giving The Competition A Leg Up.

So, say that you run this thing at 15A. How much of an increase in power and temperature are you going to get? (15/12)^2 = 1.56. The power dissipation goes up by 1.56 and so does the temperature. How much do you want to bet that over the years, this is going to make that socket crack and potentially start a house fire? Especially if there's a 20A breaker out there that'll let even more current flow.

As they say: You Bet Your Life. And That Of Your Family. Every time it gets hot out there, this thing is going to degrade.

Further: Say you have an actual 15A breaker out there, not a 20A breaker. Breakers have thermal elements, generally. When Too Much Current Flows, the thermal element expands and trips the breaker.

Remember that bit about 80% of 15A max continuous load? The breaker manufacturers know that part, too. And they arrange things so if one goes from 0 to 12A to 0 to 12A and so on, the flexing of the thermal element doesn't cause the breaker to die. 0 to 15A.. The breaker's nominal popping point is 15A. No, you don't want the breaker to fail closed Come The Day when an actual short occurs.

That Lectron connector should be blocked at import and the principals fined or jailed for endangering the public. No, I'm not kidding.

Reactions: zroger73 and Resist
OK: Your Lectron... let's call it a "Connector", since, in this case, the actual charger is in the car.. has a NEMA14-50 plug.
That's why I put charger in quotes sometimes. Lectron and most other vendors and people who don't know otherwise (and even many of those that do) call Mobile Connectors and similar EVSE chargers. It's okay even if that's not technically correct. :)

That Lectron connector should be blocked at import and the principals fined or jailed for endangering the public. No, I'm not kidding.
I completely agree, which is why I made post #14. :)

I have the Lectron Tesla "extension cord": the one that has NACS plugs, male on one end and female on the other end and extends the Tesla NACS plug. I have used it a couple of times when charging from a dryer outlet (not at home) using the Tesla Mobile Connector. The cable is thick and heavy, much thicker than the cable on the Tesla Wall Connector and Mobile Connector.....does not seem cheaply made.