Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't have accessories waiting for you when picking up a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Tesla dealership to which my Tesla is supposed to be delivered in the next couple of weeks to order accessories. I just wanted to have the Dealership order them or accept delivery or something so that I didn't have to drag the floor mats with me when I come pick up my Tesla since - you know - I am not in MY car (or my other car). I didn't want to step foot in my Tesla without having the floor liners ready to go. Honestly, I thought this would be a simple request. Like why wouldn't a Tesla dealership do this? I would be happy to pre-pay or whatever.

As you have no doubt surmised at this point, after two days of waiting for an answer, I was told that I would just have to get them on my own. The service manager was quite rude about it too. She just didn't understand why someone would want to keep their BRAND NEW Tesla clean, and why someone who is either having to get an Uber or ask a favor of someone to not have to worry about carrying a bunch of floor mats and cargo mats. She was annoyed that I asked this question. "It is our policy that owners will have to buy floor mats online and have them shipped to their house." I can't think of another car manufacturer or dealership that would refuse such a simple request.

Maybe I am having unrealistic expectations here, but that doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else been successful in doing something like what I am trying to do? I would like to know so that I can ask for the dealership manager (yes, I realize how much of a Karen this makes me sound) and support my position with a few examples.

While this hasn't turned me off from Tesla, it has caused me to think that my local service center is not very customer focused.

Ya, this doesn't sound right. I ordered some Tesla mats from the parts department a couple days before pickup and paid for them over the phone. When I went to pick up my car the mats were already installed for me. Something sounds weird with that location. I could understand if you were having aftermarket mats delivered there for them to install but there should be no issue with you purchasing the mats from the parts department and having them installed before you arrive. You may want to call another Tesla location just to see if they can indeed do what you are requesting. If they say yes, then you can bring that up to the service manager at the location you're picking up from.

Reactions: GZDongles
Don’t see why it’s a big deal to have the accessories shipped to your house (for free). Or bring some shoe covers to drive home in.
I don't see why it is a big deal to have matts delivered to the dealership.

Edit:
While it is always nice to be accommodating, it is not my job to be accommodating to Tesla or the dealership. I am trying to give them money, and they are not making it easy for me to give them my money. I am fairly certain that no other dealership of a different brand would have told me no on this. I mean I guess I could accommodate McDonalds by having ketchup delivered to my house for my fries, but I think it is not unfair to try to get the condiments (Tesla accessories) and the burger (the car) in the same place at the same time.

Last edited:
Facts! I guess I am the odd one who wants to keep their Tesla looking new for as long as possible. I suppose you're right - why should I even bother then. I'll just forget buying the liners. Thanks for talking me out of buying them.

I didn't have floor liners when I picked up my car either and it still looks pristine after a year of ownership. You do realize that if a few grains of dirt happen to fall into the carpet, they can be vacuumed out?

20201009_145641.jpg

Surely there must be something more meaningful to complain about...oh wait, you have't taken delivery yet. We'll have to wait for the next installment. Your car will be delivered with floor mats which you can remove and replace with your liners once you get home. I tried to get Homelink installed before I took delivery and was told "no" because there was always the possibility I'd refuse to accept the car or return within (at that time) the 7 day period and then they would be faced with having to remove the module.

Reactions: hellocar
Yep, well welcome to the world of Tesla! The dealerships are unlike what you're used to (with traditional Sales/Service/Part Departments). At mine, they keep the Service Department hidden and there is no "Parts" department where you might pick up accessories or order, you know, parts. If you do make your way into the Service area, they look at you like you crossed the velvet rope at Studio 54. They have one telephone number and speaking to "someone in Service" is impossible.

I tried to have the Homelink installed at delivery and got pretty much the same answer. They don't do that. Have it shipped to your home and then make an appointment. It's basically a retail operation. They aren't going to make any changes to a car in inventory - it is what it is. On the positive side, this model removes all that upselling that happens at every traditional dealership (talking you out of your own financing, extended warranties, window etching, tire and rim protection, undercoating, upholstery protection, etc. etc. etc). Here's your car, here's the price.

Reactions: WattPwr
When mine was delivered they had one of those paper floor mat things on the driver's side so at least there was a little something protecting the carpet.

I think you are overreacting a bit about the carpet, though. It's a car and it will get dirty. If you really want a mat in there, either bring it with you or just buy them at the sc.

Bring a plastic bag, put your shoes in them.
Driving barefoot is great, especially in a car where you don't need to use the pedals much.
Or if you just wanted to rant: that's a darn shame. Tesla should do better.

I didn't have floor liners when I picked up my car either and it still looks pristine after a year of ownership. You do realize that if a few grains of dirt happen to fall into the carpet, they can be vacuumed out?

View attachment 605824

I didn't know that. Thanks for educating me. I shall return to just worshipping at the altar of Tesla. Forgive me for my indescretion. I will be grateful for what Tesla gives me, and I will just adjust my expectations match what it is they give me. If another brand's dealership would have done this no problems means that other dealership must be mistaken.

Forgive me for this response, but I am shocked that the responses I am getting are harsh for such a simple request. Does it reflect well on the brand? Do you think it helps Tesla when I go out and tell people about my experience not only with the dealership but this community?

"Just vacuum it out." "I don't see what the big deal is." "Just stop caring about your car being clean; it will get dirty." "Are you going to wrap everything in your car?"

In the words of the president, "Come on, man."

Now instead of telling the world that Tesla was a great experience, and the Tesla online community was amazing and helpful and supportive, I am going to tell them that they were both unhelpful and not supportive because all I wanted was floor mats in my car when it gets delivered. When I tell people this, what do you think their first response is going to be? "Why would they not just get you mats?" I am going to say, "I don't know, and don't go asking other owners for assistance and advice; they will just tell you to suck it for wanting floor liners."

Way to represent the brand, folks. I sincerely appreciate the support and advice. I know what I am asking for is reasonable, and I will just figure this out on my own. I have very good reasons for wanting the floor liners upon delivery - for one, I am picking it up in a state in which I do not live. Two, I am driving it nearly 3000 miles home immediately upon delivery. So, having the mats delivered to my house would not be helpful for the long drive with kids.

Thanks again for the support and understanding. But I think, perhaps, this is not a welcoming and friendly community.

Last edited:
Yep, well welcome to the world of Tesla! The dealerships are unlike what you're used to (with traditional Sales/Service/Part Departments). At mine, they keep the Service Department hidden and there is no "Parts" department where you might pick up accessories or order, you know, parts. If you do make your way into the Service area, they look at you like you crossed the velvet rope at Studio 54. They have one telephone number and speaking to "someone in Service" is impossible.

I tried to have the Homelink installed at delivery and got pretty much the same answer. They don't do that. Have it shipped to your home and then make an appointment. It's basically a retail operation. They aren't going to make any changes to a car in inventory - it is what it is. On the positive side, this model removes all that upselling that happens at every traditional dealership (talking you out of your own financing, extended warranties, window etching, tire and rim protection, undercoating, upholstery protection, etc. etc. etc). Here's your car, here's the price.

Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it. Kind and non-judgmental.

There is the dealership in which my car is going to be delivered.
He's trying to point out that Tesla doesn't have a delivery center in the traditional sense. It's all ordered from the web site, even if you go to the "dealership".
It's different from what you're used to. Tesla is all about saving costs, not all about your convenience like other dealers are. Does it suck? Yes, but I don't think it's a big deal.

He's trying to point out that Tesla doesn't have a delivery center in the traditional sense. It's all ordered from the web site, even if you go to the "dealership".
It's different from what you're used to. Tesla is all about saving costs, not all about your convenience like other dealers are. Does it suck? Yes, but I don't think it's a big deal.

I do. It is very inconvenient.