Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't have accessories waiting for you when picking up a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not exaggerating anything. I am picking up the car in Virginia to drive back to Portland Oregon. Just because something works a way doesn't mean that it should or that it has to. I agree that I can't force you to see it as big a deal as I do, but similarly you can't force me to not see it big a deal as I do. So, it isn't a big deal to me is as useful a reply as me saying it is a big deal.

I was just hoping to get get advice - not pooped on for wanting floor mats upon delivery.

The advice you were given was to just pick up the car. Wear shoe covers if you must or use a vacuum when you get home. We are many 1st World complaints on this forum but this could take the cake.

Reactions: hellocar
The advice you were given was to just pick up the car. Wear shoe covers if you must or use a vacuum when you get home. We are many 1st World complaints on this forum but this could take the cake.

Shoe covers for a family of four for 2800 miles is not an option, and I want to protect against spills on the road for 2800 miles. Thanks, but that advice will not solve my problem.

Thanks for your opinion and advice. Have a great day, mate. May the winds of fortune blow your direction.

You should know that there are five stages of Tesla ownership:

1) Anticipation (ordering) :)
2) Disappointment (delivery process) :(
3) Anger (finding things wrong that should have been caught by QA pre-delivery) :mad:
4) Bargaining (complaining to advisor or forums thinking you can change things) :eek:
5) Acceptance (realizing you have a great car built by a tech company still cutting its teeth on service as they scale):D

When you get to Stage 5, you'll join the chorus of us who love our cars and occasionally dole out some tough love to Tesla (or new owners who haven't made it through all five stages). Enjoy the ride.

PS: Make sure every camera is working before you drive it off the lot. There have been quite a few reports of recent builds going out to customers with non-functioning cameras. Download the manual and read it so you know how to check them.

You should know that there are five stages of Tesla ownership:

1) Anticipation (ordering) :)
2) Disappointment (delivery process) :(
3) Anger (finding things wrong that should have been caught by QA pre-delivery) :mad:
4) Bargaining (complaining to advisor or forums thinking you can change things) :eek:
5) Acceptance (realizing you have a great car built by a tech company still cutting its teeth on service as they scale):D

When you get to Stage 5, you'll join the chorus of us who love our cars and occasionally dole out some tough love to Tesla (or new owners who haven't made it through all five stages). Enjoy the ride.

PS: Make sure every camera is working before you drive it off the lot. There have been quite a few reports of recent builds going out to customers with non-functioning cameras. Download the manual and read it so you know how to check them.

Hey, thanks for the good advice; I appreciate it. While I can see that owners need tough love sometimes, I did not think ordering floor liners would be one such occasion, but there is a first time for everything. Of all responses I expected when I posted this, tough love and general unkind treatment (with notable exceptions) was not what I expected. I had asked around, and everyone I spoke to didn't understand why the store wouldn't just order the liner. It is surprising that I have received such an unwelcoming response given the general attitude.

I just hope the unfriendliness is local to this forum, and it is not a symptom of the general Tesla community.

I read it as he is flying across the country to pick it up in va and driving it back to or.

I hope you bought the lr model if you plan on driving across the country.

Yes, I will be in the area for business reasons, and my family and I decided to do a cross-country trip back home. They will meet me in Virginia once I get the car, and we will all get on the road back home. We thought it would be a good experience for the entire family and to tell to naysayers for electric vehicles.

This is hands down the worst community I have ever joined. I just wanted to buy Tesla's floor mats and have them ready to be installed before my cross country drive home. It isn't too much to ask, and it sucks that you and the most of the community are being very unkind and unsupportive.

It's not just people deciding to be mean to you.... it's a .001 world problem with a lead-in being interpreted like it's a devastating issue. I think anyone here would agree it's inconvenient and would be great if it worked out and Tesla would be better if they did it properly, but the disgust just doesn't match the seriousness.

That said, it probably would have been better if such wording ended with something like /rant /vent but it reads far more serious and critical than it is - especially in a year like 2020 - I'm just happy to even have a my own brand new Tesla and health at this point.

Reactions: DDHEverything
It's not just people deciding to be mean to you.... it's a .001 world problem with a lead-in being interpreted like it's a devastating issue. I think anyone here would agree it's inconvenient and would be great if it worked out and Tesla would be better if they did it properly, but the disgust just doesn't match the seriousness.

That said, it probably would have been better if such wording ended with something like /rant /vent but it reads far more serious and critical than it is - especially in a year like 2020 - I'm just happy to even have a my own brand new Tesla and health at this point.

So you think I was a little harsher in tone than you would prefer when explaining a situation that anyone would agree is frustrating? That makes it okay to be mean? I am just trying to understand. Maybe I should have added more praise of Tesla and prostrated myself before the altar of Tesla while saying 10 hail Elon Musks to show that I was one of you, but I thought the fact that I ordered a brand new Tesla would have sufficed. I'll keep that in mind if I have another .001 world problem. Thanks for helping me on that front.

I didn't add a /vent /rant tag because I was seeking advice from people who have done what I am trying to do. Is there a certain phrase or recommendation to use? Oh, email Tesla here, and this person will square you away. The entire post wasn't a vent or a rant; I just wanted to explain the situation to get good advice.

Every problem with a Tesla is a .001 world problem. If you complain about anything regarding a Tesla, it is almost by definition a .001 world problem. It is one of the reasons that I came here to ask for advice. I wouldn't drive to a homeless shelter and ask them there. If you are going to ask for help with a .001 world problem, you go to forums of people with .001 world problems.

I am happy to hear that you have your health; it is difficult to keep lately. Also, I am glad that you have a brand new Tesla. That's awesome! I hope she is treating you well.

• Disagree
I've complained my fair share about Tesla service and where it lacks. But I DO think you're overblowing how serious of a problem not having floor mats available when you pick up the car. It's annoying yes, but nothing worth getting so worked over about. There are plenty of temporary solutions to protect it just for your drive home.

While you're worried about spills and other things because of not having floor mats (btw, the regular floor mats won't really protect much for spills unless it's some kind of thick fluid - coffee/soda/juice will soak right through it), you're driving 2800 miles. I would be more worried about the number of rock chips you're going to accumulate on the front bumper and windshield. These cars are magnets for rocks it seems and you will for sure have a fair share of chips by the time you make it home.

If I were you, I would plan on getting some protection before you make that drive. As last resort, even some blue masking tape if you can't get the critical areas wrapped.

I've complained my fair share about Tesla service and where it lacks. But I DO think you're overblowing how serious of a problem not having floor mats available when you pick up the car. It's annoying yes, but nothing worth getting so worked over about. There are plenty of temporary solutions to protect it just for your drive home.

While you're worried about spills and other things because of not having floor mats (btw, the regular floor mats won't really protect much for spills unless it's some kind of thick fluid - coffee/soda/juice will soak right through it), you're driving 2800 miles. I would be more worried about the number of rock chips you're going to accumulate on the front bumper and windshield. These cars are magnets for rocks it seems and you will for sure have a fair share of chips by the time you make it home.

If I were you, I would plan on getting some protection before you make that drive. As last resort, even some blue masking tape if you can't get the critical areas wrapped.

It is a minor annoyance for sure. But I have been getting pooped on for even asking how I might be able to make it happen. That's making it seem like I am more upset about the issue when I am really upset with the response more than I am the issue. I explained the situation and asked for a solution if anyone had one. Get it delivered to my house and the other ones are not solutions to my specific issue.

I didn't bash Tesla as a whole; I said this store is not very customer focused. Everyone agrees that it is annoying, and the solution is just too easy. It makes no sense for this to even be an issue. Why is it an issue? Why am I getting hate for asking for advice on how to get floor mats installed while I am traveling? Perhaps the rudeness of the service lady (the front end lady was very nice!) made me use harsher words because she was quite rude and I wanted to emphasize that. If you have a good meal at a restaurant but the staff was rude, you may still have a negative impression of the restaurant despite the meal.

Also, I am trying to get the rubber all weather liners which will protect more than the carpet mats. Check 'em out. They look good, and from the reviews, it seems they work nicely.

Really, I appreciate the advice on the rocks. If I have the opportunity, I will try to get it wrapped before I leave. This isn't my first new car, and I know that they will get normal wear and tear. But, I would like the inside to remain as clean and protected as possible for as long as possible.

Why? Where on earth do you live that the closest Tesla showroom is 2,800 miles away?

Yes, I will be in the area for business reasons, and my family and I decided to do a cross-country trip back home. They will meet me in Virginia once I get the car, and we will all get on the road back home. We thought it would be a good experience for the entire family and to tell to naysayers for electric vehicles.

It is a minor annoyance for sure. But I have been getting pooped on for even asking how I might be able to make it happen. That's making it seem like I am more upset about the issue when I am really upset with the response more than I am the issue. I explained the situation and asked for a solution if anyone had one. Get it delivered to my house and the other ones are not solutions to my specific issue.

I didn't bash Tesla as a whole; I said this store is not very customer focused. Everyone agrees that it is annoying, and the solution is just too easy. It makes no sense for this to even be an issue. Why is it an issue? Why am I getting hate for asking for advice on how to get floor mats installed while I am traveling? Perhaps the rudeness of the service lady (the front end lady was very nice!) made me use harsher words because she was quite rude and I wanted to emphasize that. If you have a good meal at a restaurant but the staff was rude, you may still have a negative impression of the restaurant despite the meal.

Also, I am trying to get the rubber all weather liners which will protect more than the carpet mats. Check 'em out. They look good, and from the reviews, it seems they work nicely.

Really, I appreciate the advice on the rocks. If I have the opportunity, I will try to get it wrapped before I leave. This isn't my first new car, and I know that they will get normal wear and tear. But, I would like the inside to remain as clean and protected as possible for as long as possible.

yeah, I get it, and I think I'm a little numb from it due to this being my 3rd Tesla. The cars themselves are so fun that I think many of us learned to let it slide on the service side, hoping things will get better over time. I guess we shall see!

Regarding all-weather mats, that makes more sense. I know it's not ideal, but I guess just run to the nearest auto parts store and buy the best fitting all-weather mats you can find for the drive home? I am also particular about the inside of car and actually haven't ever driven with shoes on. lol, I'm just weird like that. I also vacuum out the car once a week thoroughly so you never see any dust/crumbs in this car!

For whatever reason, the large flat front bumper area seems to get rock chips so any protection you can do for the drive I think will be worth it. I had PPF on my mid-range and it saved me from a lot of chips. On my Performance, I didn't because it's a lease and within the first 2 weeks, I had 3 chips in the bumper and a chip in the windshield. I don't know how picky you are about the outside, but I imagine you would be pretty bummed to get home and have several chips on the bumper of a brand new car.

I really really hope you're experienced with road trips with your family, because this is a really long one, and throwing the possible problems associated with a new car, not to mention a new EV on top of that, is fraught with potential problems. Personally, I'd give up on the idea of trying to "keep the new car clean" and just try to have a good time and get along. You can always get things cleaned later. The model 3 is a fairly roomy car, as far as 5 seaters go, but you're still going to have 4 people in close proximity for 4 days - keeping things clean should be pretty low on your priority list.

As someone who's recently done several cross country road trips, I wish you luck! It's a great car for this, despite what people will tell you.