Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canvas: Month2Month car "subscription" service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Now that it looks like there's no chance in hell that wife and I will get her a Model 3 by year's end and given that her VW eGolf lease is expiring on Dec 15th, looking for short term car access alternatives and hit upon this:

Canvas - A simple alternative to car ownership

Ford offering short-term consumer auto leases through Canvas

Ford’s Canvas monthly car subscription car service expands to LA

Anyone's got any experience here with this service? Sounds better than any monthly/weekly rentals from car rental companies and there's no longer term lease lock-in.

No (Ford) EVs unfortunately but, wife may be okay with a gasser till the 3 comes around...

Not a bad price on that service. It's much more affordable than similar services offered by Cadillac and Porsche that were getting discussed over at Drive any Cadillac, anytime, for $1,500 a month. I guess one difference is that the Canvas service has different prices based on which vehicle you're driving. It looks to me more targeted at longer-term "ownership" (six months) instead of something where you might change out the vehicle every month like in the Cadillac and Porsche program. They're doing that by incentivising you to stay in a single vehicle by reducing the rental rate over the course of the time that you're driving it.

I didn't check, but I wonder how the per-month prices compare to a 2-3 year lease on the same vehicle. I wasn't curious enough to run the numbers and will leave that as an exercise for someone else. Taking a guess, I'd say there's a 25% premium in your monthly costs over a traditional lease, but you have the freedom of only leasing the vehicle for 1 month if that's what you decide to do.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Tesla - IF they can work out finance could be very competitive, or make a lot of margin, in this market niche of subscription services.
Why? Cheaper to run. Could be a way to keep or expand Model S or even Model X. Seems to be for those who just want to pay a single bill and not worry about payments, insurance, maintenance, licensing. Those that can afford it.