TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cape Wind - The first offshore wind farm gets approval

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by PopSmith, Apr 28, 2010.

1. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/04/breaking-us-approves-first-offshore-wind-farm.php

This caught my eye and though everyone here might like a glance at it. It's about the first offshore wind farm in the States and means that the U.S. is slowly, but surely, moving towards getting their energy from renewable sources.

The biggest points of interest to me were:

and

2. edo

edo Member

3. johnr

johnr Member

It's about time. The opposition has succeeded in dragging it out long enough. Hopefully the approval will set the stage for similar projects along the eastern coast. I still wonder about the Wampanoag tribe coming out with their statement right at the very end - it just smells fishy, I'd bet the tribe was paid to do that.

4. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

CNN also published an article on this today, I got a chuckle out of the title.

The wind man who beat Cape Cod's elite

If the CNN article is accurate I don't see what the big fuss is about, besides the oil industry trying to slow the crumble of their money-making empire:

Honestly, if 25 of 500 square miles, just 5% of the island, is wind mills and creates up to 75% of the power needed at Cape and the surrounding islands I hope they step it up to 50 miles (or more!) and make it so the island puts out more clean and renewable energy then the island needs so the mainland can take advantage of it.

Part of the reason it's taken so long is this: