Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Bricked - Master Charger to be Blamed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week our late 2014 Tesla Model S 85 with dual charger and roughly 56,000 miles would not start. The lights, windows and door handles were the only functioning parts of the car. Neither the driver display screen or center screen would turn on.
The car was towed to Tesla and initially it was thought that the ecm was to blame. After the fault codes were looked at something more sinister was expected. I was told I would need a new 12V battery which I just replaced in March (less than 60 days). After a few more days they came back and said that I needed a new master charger for roughly $2500. I’m struggling to believe that the master charger failing would cause the car to stop starting completely. The night prior to the issue the car had over 140 miles on it and had been plugged in, so it should have plenty of charge. Does anyone have any insight into how such a failure would cause what we are seeing?

Does anyone have any insight into how such a failure would cause what we are seeing?
If the charger has a fault in the HV portion of its circuitry that would prevent the contactors in the battery from closing, meaning that you can't "start" it and the HV battery can't be used to maintain/charge the 12v battery. That would lead to the 12v battery getting drained in a few hours such that the screen, etc. wouldn't turn on. So while it isn't common, it can happen.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS