Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Cover Stolen right off my M3!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it everyday cause I dont have a garage and my neighborhood has been under constant street construction for over 10 months and the neighborhood is incredibly dirty...Car cover has worked wonders keeping off the dust, debris and asphalt dust in the air.

I stepped out around 10pm tonight and noticed it was gone ( I put it on around 6pmish). I have a backup cover, but at this point I'm wondering if I even put it on. No sentry cam footage cause I turn it off when the car cover is on (just records black emptiness and wastes energy and SSD writes).

I cannot believe people.

While it can be pretty ugly, I've seen many instances where the owners spray paint their license plate on the car cover. Does it help prevent theft? Don't know but it's probably a good deterrent. It would at least prove ownership in case it's found :p

edit: @mlkmade What brand of car cover did you have? The last one I bought and used for my Mazda RX-7 was from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories, which I see is still in business.

@mlkmade What brand of car cover did you have? The last one I bought and used for my Mazda RX-7 was from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories, which I see is still in business.

XtremeCoverPro 2018 2019 Tesla Model 3 CAR Cover Sedan Waterproof Breathable UV Protection Vehicle Accessories Breathable Car Cover Indoor Outdoor Protection

It's worked really well. Thick, soft white cloth interior lining so no scratching.

Doesnt look like Amazon has my model in stock. It was $79 and black...I think the link on Amazon doesnt have the interior liner like mine.

Edit: not to dwell on the negative, but I hate when stuff is taken from me (I know no one likes it) because I start to speculate and look at everyone in my vicinity as guilty or someone is out to get me. I could care less about the car cover, I just hate feeling like this.

Last edited:
Won't stop a determined thief that brought sharp scissors with them, but this type of lockable strap will deter some:

https://www.amazon.com/Lockable-Sec...y+strap+for+car+covers&qid=1602570883&sr=8-12

You can put them both together to make a 20' strap, and then throw one end under the car to the other side and strap it down. The strap will also hold the cover down if the wind ever pics up. I used to use 3 straps to hold down my car cover because it gets so windy in Houston, and that's the method I used.

Won't stop a determined thief that brought sharp scissors with them, but this type of lockable strap will deter some:

https://www.amazon.com/Lockable-Sec...y+strap+for+car+covers&qid=1602570883&sr=8-12

You can put them both together to make a 20' strap, and then throw one end under the car to the other side and strap it down. The strap will also hold the cover down if the wind ever pics up. I used to use 3 straps to hold down my car cover because it gets so windy in Houston, and that's the method I used.

Thanks for the tips. Mine actually came with a strap and buckle for underneath. I never used it though because I use my car cover so much, it was just an extra step.

So far I havent seen any cosmetic damage to my car (just looked with my smart phone flash light 2-3 times over) - which is a relief but also a surprise. Someone had the audacity to steal this car cover when it was still light out, in the middle of a neighborhood, and knew how to take it off easily?

Ugh. Thanks for the replies guys, sometimes it just helps to vent and have people listen. I appreciate it.

XtremeCoverPro 2018 2019 Tesla Model 3 CAR Cover Sedan Waterproof Breathable UV Protection Vehicle Accessories Breathable Car Cover Indoor Outdoor Protection

It's worked really well. Thick, soft white cloth interior lining so no scratching.

Doesnt look like Amazon has my model in stock. It was $79 and black...I think the link on Amazon doesnt have the interior liner like mine.

Edit: not to dwell on the negative, but I hate when stuff is taken from me (I know no one likes it) because I start to speculate and look at everyone in my vicinity as guilty or someone is out to get me. I could care less about the car cover, I just hate feeling like this.

Totally understand this... In my past, I had an apartment broken into. I didnt even have anything of worth in there beside a TV and a game system. All our clothes were pulled out of drawers and strewn about as the thieves were obviously looking for valuables that we didnt have.

I couldnt move out of that place fast enough.. i never felt safe there again... I couldnt sleep very well there anymore etc. every shadow was "someone out to get me".

Really sorry and totally understand that having that feeling is worse than any cost of the car cover itself.

Reactions: mlkmade
It wasn't windy and blew away? My BMW car cover could do that if the wind gusted to 40mph.

You know, I thought about that as it was a windy day tbh, but the cover fits like a glove on the M3 once its on. The bottom has internal elastic lining with adjustable ties, so once its on, its not coming off unless someone is lifting it out from under the front and rear bumper. Ive been using it for a year and there have been way windier days than that day, but anything's possible, so who knows.

I'm in San Diego, and we have a lot of bums in my neighborhood, so its possible one of them snatched it. Either way, life goes on, I appreciate the responses!

I had a guy walk into my girlfriend's apartment once. He had no shirt on, was moving in slow motion and seemed in shock. I was sick, my girlfriend had left the door unlocked. I just stood there as he passed like a ghost. To make a long story short, he walked around the premises for a while and finally left. I was really glad I didn't have a gun.

I'll forgive a drug dealer before a thief. Last Christmas I had a package stolen from my front door when no one was home. Never had it happen before, and someone is usually there, except that day. Caught it on camera and everything. But the scumbags parked further down the road to hide their plate. I would have not one ounce of sympathy if I see someone unload a 12 guage on one them to the face. Or maybe be kind and shoot an arm off instead.

Last edited:
It wasn't windy and blew away? My BMW car cover could do that if the wind gusted to 40mph.

My time came. Last night My M3's cover was stolen.
Under cover of night. I felt violated and so angry.

Then my wife found it wind-wrapped around a part of the adjacent Honda.

When I got home yesterday (by Metro) my neighbor told me that my (Tesla M3 Outdoor) car cover had blown off and was being held on by the charging cable: and that he re-secured it. It has a very snug fit and elastic around the bottom too. The question now is if I'll do anything to secure it in the future, even if just a rope and clip or something...

Reactions: KenC