TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Car didn't "see" large trailer I passed

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ThisIsTrue, Dec 24, 2016.

1. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

Driving at night with AP1.0 engaged, I noticed as I approached a pickup with a large, very boxy, trailer, that my high beams didn't dim. I glanced at my instrument display and noticed that there was no indication of another vehicle in front of me, and the car did not slow down (I was running about 10 mph faster than he was). I dimmed my lights manually, changed lanes, and passed, and never saw any indication that the Model S "saw" that big trailer. It seems to me that if I was not paying attention, I would have hit it at highway speeds (unless it "saw" it at the last second and slammed on the brakes, but I never saw indication of it on the display).

I immediately recorded a "bug report" in hopes that the car would send log files in too (yes no maybe?)

Is this something I should report in addition to that note? To whom and how?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

As far as I can tell, Tesla doesn't do anything about those recorded notes unless you also call or email. Then looking for the recorded note can help them pinpoint the incident.

• Like x 2
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

This sounds like a failure of two systems. The radar/side sensors are supposed to see the car and the camera is supposed to detect the taillights for dimming the high beams no?

4. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

Maybe, but if so it was transitory: didn't see it happen before or after that.