Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car didn't "see" large trailer I passed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving at night with AP1.0 engaged, I noticed as I approached a pickup with a large, very boxy, trailer, that my high beams didn't dim. I glanced at my instrument display and noticed that there was no indication of another vehicle in front of me, and the car did not slow down (I was running about 10 mph faster than he was). I dimmed my lights manually, changed lanes, and passed, and never saw any indication that the Model S "saw" that big trailer. It seems to me that if I was not paying attention, I would have hit it at highway speeds (unless it "saw" it at the last second and slammed on the brakes, but I never saw indication of it on the display).

I immediately recorded a "bug report" in hopes that the car would send log files in too (yes no maybe?)

Is this something I should report in addition to that note? To whom and how?

I dimmed my lights manually, changed lanes, and passed, and never saw any indication that the Model S "saw" that big trailer. It seems to me that if I was not paying attention, I would have hit it at highway speeds (unless it "saw" it at the last second and slammed on the brakes, but I never saw indication of it on the display).
This sounds like a failure of two systems. The radar/side sensors are supposed to see the car and the camera is supposed to detect the taillights for dimming the high beams no?