Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car doesn't seem to be charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were away for four months, and I had left my MY plugged in. I drove it for the first time yesterday, and though it was plugged in overnight last night, and it was supposed to charge up to 70%, it seems to be at the same charge level this morning as it was last night. I am using a 120V line, but that has always worked fine in the past.

And thoughts??

We were away for four months, and I had left my MY plugged in. I drove it for the first time yesterday, and though it was plugged in overnight last night, and it was supposed to charge up to 70%, it seems to be at the same charge level this morning as it was last night. I am using a 120V line, but that has always worked fine in the past.

And thoughts??
Are there any status lights displayed on the Tesla Mobile Connector? Check that the circuit breaker is in the on position. It is possible that sometime while you were away the breaker flipped off.

Reactions: Deutsch100
No, the breaker is on, and has been on, and the status light on the Tesla plug is green, as was the status light at the charge port.
What does the Charging screen show as far as charging amperage and voltage; should display 12A/12A and 120V or 8A/8A and 120V. Charging mode should be set to Charge Immediately, not set to Scheduled Charging.

Try unplugging the Mobile Connector from the receptacle, wait 30 seconds before plugging back in. (Caution! Always disconnect the charging connector from the Tesla vehicle's charging port before unplugging the Tesla Mobile Connector from the mains power outlet/receptacle.)

Try rebooting the Tesla vehicle; press and hold the left and right steering wheel buttons while pressing on the brake pedal for ~10 seconds. This will reboot the Tesla vehicle. (I would unplug the charging connector before rebooting but it may not matter.

Other things to try/test:

Try charging at a public Level 2 charging station in your area. Google maps and Plugshare can show you these locations.

Try using a Supercharger, if just for a few minutes, to confirm that your Tesla Model Y can charge at a Supercharger (Supercharging bypasses the on-board charger and charges the battery directly with high voltage, current DC.)

Reactions: robussc
Thanks. Will give all of the above a try.

When it was plugged in, the normal charging screen did not come on the screen at all.
What if you bring up the charging screen manually? Tap on the lightning bolt icon next to the vehicle icon or else use the button at the bottom of the main screen with a fat up arrow that brings up additional screen choices and select Charging. You can also use the voice command "open charge port".

There a many possible reasons why you are unable to charge. The most likely cause is a defective Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. (Mobile Connector failure is not uncommon.) If you are still unable to charge after re-booting your Tesla Model Y and can access the charging screen from the Tesla vehicle then you should open a service request withing the Tesla app. Briefly state that you are unable to charge your vehicle using the Mobile Connector. Tesla Mobile service should be able to determine if your Mobile Connector is defective and provide a replacement Mobile Connector (at no cost to you under the vehicle warranty) if needed.

Reactions: Rocky_H
There a many possible reasons why you are unable to charge. The most likely cause is a defective Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. (Mobile Connector failure is not uncommon.) If you are still unable to charge after re-booting your Tesla Model Y and can access the charging screen from the Tesla vehicle then you should open a service request withing the Tesla app. Briefly state that you are unable to charge your vehicle using the Mobile Connector. Tesla Mobile service should be able to determine if your Mobile Connector is defective and provide a replacement Mobile Connector (at no cost to you under the vehicle warranty) if needed.
Forgot to write that you should try plugging the Mobile Connector into a different outlet (preferably on a different circuit.) It is possible that the receptacle is defective or the black wire that is energized with 120V power or the white neutral wire are not properly connected to the receptacle.) Other wiring issues such as a bad ground connection should trigger an error light on the Mobile Connector.

Thanks for all of the help, and particular thanks, as usual, to jcanoe for all of the thoughts. I did unplug the mobile connector, and that seems to have corrected the situation, at least for the time being. The graphic on the app shows it taking a charge, and the mileage is increasing. I shall keep a sharp eye on it, and implement some of the other suggestions if things go south on me.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Reactions: jcanoe
I’ve been having the similar charging problems. Car does not seem to want to charge overnight. It may run for five minutes or so and then shuts down. Even manually it only runs for like five minutes. I have been having charging issues ever since the latest upgrade to 4.2 of the app and 2021.36 for the car version. I’ve rebooted the car and will see if it works tonight.