Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car drove without phone or key card!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did he even get back into the car at the store? He said he got out of the car, locked it and then attempted to open the trunk unsuccessfully and that's when he realized he didn't have his phone or key cards with him.

Unless he locked the car on the touchscreen, but did not actually close the door when he got out of the car? Still doesn't explain how he was able to drive home without any "keys". There are a lot of missing facts here.

I drove home AFTER MY SON CAME WITH MY PHONE.

JFC, this is supposed to be a site to share experiences & get advice. Don't think I'll share any more.

How quick some people are to judge!
My jacket hangs on a rack by my garage door, easily within 10 feet of the rear of my car. What concerned me was that my car kept driving, and there was no warning about the lack of phone/key card.
Next time I'll be sure to include diagrams and measurements.
This explains it. Your phone WAS your key. You can't expect the car to just STOP because you turned your phone off or the battery died. You could be killed in an accident.

You did not explain this in your OP.

I drove home AFTER MY SON CAME WITH MY PHONE.

JFC, this is supposed to be a site to share experiences & get advice. Don't think I'll share any more.
Ah, but this fact wasn't mentioned previously. If you only dole out information piecemeal rather than at the outset, then we don't have the relevant facts needed to understand your scenario, let alone attempt to formulate an answer. Several of us had stated that we didn't think all the facts were in play because the scenario as stated didn't make sense. As such, people may fill in the blanks with what they think you may have meant or done. Sharing is a two-way street.

Last edited:
You can lock your car with the lock icon before you exit the car; you don't know this?! Don't be so quick to call BS.

Sorry the two sentences aren’t a single thought. I’m aware you can lock the car that way. I’m not aware WHY you would. Seems like the least convenient way to go about things. Also not aware WHY someone would go to the store without their wallet, or their phone...but especially their wallet. (Keep the card key in your wallet).

I’ll still call BS. Cause you left out important facts. And you’re full of it...it’s just more fun for me this way. “dr”

Last edited:
Wow, to OP.. I have had this experience on this forum before. Don't let it get to you. They are better people than everyone else... haha. As far as you post. Next time have your son start the car from you phone app. And as someone mentioned it stays "running" for your safety. I also agree the screen should change colors or something so you know you don't have an active key currently attached.