Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car had to be jumped to open door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible for the 12 V battery to die without notice. I had no warning or error code. All of the sudden I was locked out. Just recently got V10 update. Received second update yesterday. Could this be just a glitch or is my 12 V battery is no good. Currently the car is operating fine. I could not get a hold of Tesla to ask. What can happen if I drive with a bad 12 V battery.

Model S 85
9/13 production date

Is it possible for the 12 V battery to die without notice. I had no warning or error code. All of the sudden I was locked out. Just recently got V10 update. Received second update yesterday. Could this be just a glitch or is my 12 V battery is no good. Currently the car is operating fine. I could not get a hold of Tesla to ask. What can happen if I drive with a bad 12 V battery.

Model S 85
9/13 production date

Should get an error message: 12V Battery Needs Service - Replace 12V Battery Soon"

Model S 85
9/13 production date
Has the 12V battery been replaced before? If not, given the age of the car, the battery has lasted rather longer than usual. If it has already been replaced, was it replaced with the correct type?

If you ensure that the main battery doesn't get to a low state of charge e.g. keep it above 20%, it will be able to keep the 12V battery topped up, even if the 12V battery is dying. Ideally, keep the car plugged in as much as possible, until the 12V battery is replaced. Some people have also used a 12V battery tender.

Model S 85
9/13 production date
Spoke too soon. The 12v battery died again. Have to jump to open the door. Hope it's just the 12v battery and not something else. Is it possible for the 12v battery to fail without warning or error message.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you also tried the phone app as well as the FOB to open ? So no chance just a bad FOB right?
There almost no way to have a bad battery without the message telling you.
Phone app and key fob didn't work. No power to the car. I just checked the battery. I moved the battery cable and the car turned on again. Not sure if this is normal behavior of a bad 12v battery.

I’m a DIY sort of person. And I’m betting you could find the issue at this point.
But I think if this is a new car I would call out a mobile unit to go through and troubleshoot and repair. maybe they see something else not quite right while they are there and it can get documented as an issue they had to fix for the future in case other issues arise. just a thought. I’ve never used the mobile repair guys but I’m told they are great.

Had the same experience. my 2017 X bricked during an update. Door would not open and could not remove charging cable. Called Tesla and they sent out a local tow truck driver to pop the frunk and jump the car. Everything worked for a week and then exact thing happened during an update. This time the tow truck driver jumped the car and took it off to SC for 12v replacement. I never had any warning that the battery needed to be replaced. No problems since.... 3 weeks and counting.

If you moved the cable and it turned on again it could be a lose connection to the 12v battery
If you moved the cable and it turned on again it could be a lose connection to the 12v battery
You're right. I just checked the connection. The positive terminal was loose. I had the car serviced a few months back. Crazy.

Spoke too soon. The 12v battery died again. Have to jump to open the door. Hope it's just the 12v battery and not something else. Is it possible for the 12v battery to fail without warning or error message.
It looks like the 12 V battery cannot keep the charge so the best is to replace it.

I had a similar problem with an ICE car. I recharged all the night, and there was no problem using the starter
but could not used again the starter even after been driving.

New 12 V batteries are only warranted for two years now, they had a four or five years warranty in the past....

Its very likely the fuses in the DCDC converter. The fuses go bad and it taxes the battery and eventually the AC compressor will "die" and then the heat. The trifecta of issues usually points to the DCDC converter. I replaced my fuses last weekened after dealing with a similar issue. 02/13 build with an original battery after 150k miles (be amazed fellow TMC folks!). Search around the forum its not a bad self repair on the older cars. They will want to replace the whole thing for 2500 bucks, you can get the fuses for like 150 and a few hours be done.