Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car location on Map is off by few meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000014851.jpg

1000014854.jpg

1000014857.jpg

Imagine, you do 70 (and reasonable VAT maybe?) on the right lane and then it picks the speed limit on the lane on the side of the road and since it is single lane, set max speed to 60....

I had exactly the same problem before. Driving up the A1 the navigation was constantly instructing me to leave/join every exit because it thought the car was ~30m off the road. I saw a very confused looking Model Y driver at the side of the road coming the other way. I reported it to service and in the meantime there was an OTE update and it fixed itself. Possibly not the same cause.

Guys, you looks like very quick with your assumptions.

My car is on my drive, surrounded by other buildings and still has 5 satellites visible, and GNSS is Fix as well.
If I move car few meters, although still surrounded by buildings, it immediately increases to 6 sats. So no, sat visibility is not an issue here

Guys, you looks like very quick with your assumptions.

My car is on my drive, surrounded by other buildings and still has 5 satellites visible, and GNSS is Fix as well.
If I move car few meters, although still surrounded by buildings, it immediately increases to 6 sats. So no, sat visibility is not an issue here
You could just have said "I've tried that..its got a GNSS fix and can see 5-6 sats.. "

GNSS accuracy is 2 to 10 meters

Having 6 sats does not help if the geometry is poor. You need sat locks from different directions. Could also be seeing signal bounces from the buildings which degrades accuracy.
6 sats is when between building ngs. When open environment, meaning - motorway, it is open and clear

Amount of visible sats is directly connected to open sky - if 5-6 sats available then in open it will be more. It's not the situation where sats from different suppliers comes with different protocols and you suddenly cannot commu with half of them

And for example this happens on M42 only...

Amount of visible sats is directly connected to open sky - if 5-6 sats available then in open it will be more. It's not the situation where sats from different suppliers comes with different protocols and you suddenly cannot commu with half of them

I think you missed the point, 6 sats does not guarantee good accuracy since geometry is key, so it very well could be a visibility issue. As to different protocols, that does not matter to the point I was making.

I think you missed the point, 6 sats does not guarantee good accuracy since geometry is key, so it very well could be a visibility issue. As to different protocols, that does not matter to the point I was making.
I think you missed the point.

6 sats is when car is surrounded buy buildings. Like new build estate.

It is 8 when I am in the open

Nevertheless my location on map does not change if I am connected to 5 or 8 sats.

It takes four GPS satellites to calculate a precise location on the Earth using the Global Positioning System: three to determine a position on the Earth, and one to adjust for the error in the receiver's clock.

1000014867.jpg

It still causes car to be shown way off the map AT SOME AREAS of M42 while driving in the open.

It takes four GPS satellites to calculate a precise location on the Earth using the Global Positioning System: three to determine a position on the Earth, and one to adjust for the error in the receiver's clock.

With four satellites the system can determine a 3-D position, if you have only three you get a 2-D fix which really only works if you know your altitude, this can be used by boats at Sea Level, for example. In all cases the accuracy of the position requires the satellites be in good positions relative to each other as poor geometry and atmospheric disturbances impact accuracy. This is why most receivers utilize 6-8 satellites to determine position. Location is determined by using differential time signals, so there is no “adjustment” to the receiver’s clock. In fact no clock is needed as time is provided with each signal’s reception.

All satellites transmit ephemeris data which incudes the location of that satellite, a time mark and other data. An atomic clock on the ground synchronizes with the atomic clock in each satellite as it passes over the master clock ground station.

In order to improve accuracy to the level we use, the receiver must also be WAAS capable (most are), which means it receives “differential” GPS data provided by special satellites.

Last edited: