Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car location on Map is off by few meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
As per topic - car location on MAP is way off - by few meters.

It causes, wehn ob AP to think that it is on 30 or 50 mph road and phantom break.

Any way to report map issue or perfor recalibration?

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_090326673.jpg
    PXL_20240421_090326673.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240421_143302093.jpg
    PXL_20240421_143302093.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240421_143457162.jpg
    PXL_20240421_143457162.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 3
I get it coming out of a multi story car park sometimes especially if there’s a lot of going around in circles as I go down through the levels of the car park. Usually corrects itself within a mile of driving in an area where it can pick up a decent GPS signal (built up areas aren’t great)

I get it coming out of a multi story car park sometimes especially if there’s a lot of going around in circles as I go down through the levels of the car park. Usually corrects itself within a mile of driving in an area where it can pick up a decent GPS signal (built up areas aren’t great)
Yes.. but this is in the open, on motorway, 30 mins after any cark Park... Same was on my way towards

Tesla estimate of its position without GPS is pretty poor. Driving in 6 km tunnel with my previous 2008 ICE car (Škoda==Volkswagen) was off by about 30 meters. Tesla is off by about 100 meters. Sure its gets in sync once one gets out of the tunnel but still.
It is probably unrelated to the OP but being discussed in this thread.

I noticed this sort of unusual GPS lock drift with a short-lived software update from Tesla a while back. Suspect it’s not signal related but processing side.

It may clear itself after car powers off fully and network stack has a chance to reset or after next firmware release.

I had this issue after the update that enabled the cabin camera. It took 3 service visits, but they eventually resolved it.

First they replaced the GPS antenna, then the cabin camera, then the wiring harness for the camera.

The root problem was with the hardware (inadequate EMI shielding in the camera wiring), but the issue was only uncovered by the software update that enabled the camera.

If you're still under warranty, I'd ask service to resolve it.

Is there a way to set Home as the current GPS location obvious when I'm at home rather than using the address?
Clear the current Home setting (hold on the icon and delete, I believe), then you can set a new Home location from a pin; locate your home on the map, press and hold and it will give you the option to save as a Favourite, or Home. Think that's correct, I just did it recently.

• Informative
Reactions: nurusz
One thing about setting your home accurately, and maybe more an issue when your housekey and car key were on the same key fob, somebody steals your keys the car will direct them to your house which they can then get into. Less of an issue probably (unless they stole your phone) but a thought. Postcode is near enough for me personally although I might try the current location trick just to see if it works

Well, had a drive today, and o parts of M42 I am lik b10-20 meters away from the road!

I pics yo the speed limit of the small lane which goes parallel to m42 and slams brakes as speed limit is suddenly 60.

On other parts of the motorway, it is OK...
But now my car is parked on the roof of my neighbors house.. never ever had this...

Was there a recent map update??

Or how to report it!?