Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced and Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd thing happened yesterday after supercharging. I went in my MS and placed the car in drive. I received a warning "Car Needs Service Steering Assist Reduced" and the steering wheel was extremely hard to turn. I googled the message and several owners resolved the issue by completing a reset. This did not work for me. I called roadside service and stepped away from my car to walk around because I was placed on hold. When I got a hold of a Tesla rep I went back in and placed it in drive but this time the warning went away. I was told I should be okay to drive but take it in for service ASAP.

Few minutes into my drive a different warning popped up "Automatic emergency braking is disabled". I pulled over and completed several resets and the message will not go away. Both screens seem to lag when performing functions and most noticable was the navigation. It would not update step by step directions the screen seems to be frozen. It was still showing my position at the supercharger station but I was several blocks away.

I've decided to step away from the car for a few minutes so everything powers down. Went back inside placed the car in drive and the warning went away. Both screens went back to normal operation.

This morning I took my car in for service and the SA informed me the "Car Needs Service Steering Assist Reduced" should have been fixed by the recent firmware upgrade couple weeks ago for AP 2.5 cars, and yes I do have the recent firmware.

So I'm stuck without my car and not sure how bad the situation is. Anyone have similar experiences recently? Especially when the latest firmware should have fixed the problem.

Spoke to Tesla Service Agent and they are getting corporate/engineers involved. Looks like I am the only one who experienced this problem since I don't see anyone else reporting it. Hope it's not too serious and I know they will do their best.

Hey any update with this .. the exact same thing just happend to me... First I got the error saying car needs service and then that went away and I got the error that emergency braking was disabled.

I also noticed that my navigation was not updating as normal and was slow.

Gave my SC a call and they are looking into the logs..

Its a cold day today (-20) I wonder if they has anything to do with it ....

Was this resolved for you? Any update on your end?

Hey any update with this .. the exact same thing just happend to me... First I got the error saying car needs service and then that went away and I got the error that emergency braking was disabled.

I also noticed that my navigation was not updating as normal and was slow.

Gave my SC a call and they are looking into the logs..

Its a cold day today (-20) I wonder if they has anything to do with it ....

Was this resolved for you? Any update on your end?

Screenshot_20171228-230632.png

They consulted with Tesla engineers and found the error log and made minor adjustments. Looks like a quality issue. I've been driving the car for almost a week and the error hasn't returned. Although not sure how tightening bolts is related to steering reduced and emergency brake disabled. Seems weird to me.

Tesla Service also found other quality issues not related to the steering or braking and fixed them as well. Overall superb customer service from the Buena Park team.

Keep me updated on your findings in case the error returns.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MP3Mike
I just got this error message yesterday at 11pm. It was -25 outside. Called roadside, they told me to shut off car for 2mins. I did, no fix, he then told me to try again but for 10 minutes. It fixed the issue. I just got my car back from a front bumper change, so maybe they played with wires and one is loose?

They consulted with Tesla engineers and found the error log and made minor adjustments. Looks like a quality issue. I've been driving the car for almost a week and the error hasn't returned. Although not sure how tightening bolts is related to steering reduced and emergency brake disabled. Seems weird to me.

The E-Fuse module powers many of your vehicles ancillary functions. It takes the place of a traditional fuse box and provides one power feed going in, and multiple feeds coming out to power things like your steering rack If there is a fluctuation in the voltage or current to any of the systems it powers, the vehicle will see that and shut down the system effected.

Any updates on your progress?

Hey I got my car back ... they did diagnosis and they said everything is working as normal... I haven't seen the error come up since that one time so they think it may have been related to the extreme cold temperatures that day ..

on the other hand, my navigation at times was freezing and wouldn't track the car so they removed and replaced DAS ECU (Driver assistance service electronic control unit) ... that fixed the problem

Yesterday stopped by REI and hit the park button. I received the error "Automatic emergency braking is disabled" is back. Went inside REI for several minutes to buy some stuff so the car can power down. Started the car and the error went away. I noted the date and time of error so Tesla Service can diagnose the issue. I just need to find a good time to drop my car off.

I just got the Automatic emergency braking warning and my Nav map was stuck at a place 4 miles away.
I rebooted the center screen and eventually the Nav got sorted out but braking message remained.
I put car in garage and hope it is all fixed next drive

• Informative
Reactions: SportsmanFlyer
Had the same thing happen last week. Steering assist not working. Also had several problems with computer screen malfunctiontioning, paring brake malfunction and now my phone app can is not finding my car. Reboot did not fix, new 12 v did not fix, software update did not fix the problem. Local ranger diagnosed and thinks it may need a new steering rack. Unfortunately, I live in OKLAHOMA and it’s a major inconvenience to take in for service. He also said it will cost around $3000.00 to fix. Sounds like they should recall.

To those who had the messages with the gps dead, basically the car was going through all the checks as you get into park. When the car realize your gps doesn’t work, it throws a bunch of error codes out. If you are lucky, a simple power down should fix it.

To the folks with bad parking brakes, did you happen to have a late 17 built?

Same issue earlier this evening - Dec 2017 build, on 2018.6.1 as of a couple days ago, temperature about 25-30 degrees -- gps stuck on initial location of car on screen, but app showed correct location; both steering assist and emerg braking warning msgs popped up when placing car in park. Shut down for a couple hours while at a meeting, everything OK when restarted.