Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car not sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to take a look at why my car is losing battery sitting I'm my garage. I have turned off stuff like cabin overheat but to no avail. I am using curl issuing a vehicles command (does not wake up the car) and find it takes hours to enter sleep mode. I even tried to force end the Tesla App.

What's next to try? Ideas? Want to get the car to sleep like it should before trying TeslaFi or any other monitor.

I decided to take a look at why my car is losing battery sitting I'm my garage. I have turned off stuff like cabin overheat but to no avail. I am using curl issuing a vehicles command (does not wake up the car) and find it takes hours to enter sleep mode. I even tried to force end the Tesla App.

What's next to try? Ideas? Want to get the car to sleep like it should before trying TeslaFi or any other monitor.

Is the API showing "offline" or "online"? I've noticed a bit of "offline" lately but I think my car is still asleep during those periods.

If you have weak wi-fi it could be an issue too, or heck maybe even just wi-fi period ... I dunno. I turned wi-fi off manually when I parked at home a couple times and started seeing "asleep" overnight instead of "offline" with the API.

It could be struggling to download an update, or a map update, or maybe even uploading data if you have data sharing on and you were a "lucky" person selected to contribute to fleet learning from some of your driving interactions with the real world data they want. :)

Last edited:
I was struggling to figure out why my car wasn't sleeping and forgot that I had logged into one of the monitoring sites. I've been using Teslafi and have had no issues with sleeping (once I figured out the right settings), so couldn't understand what was happening. Based on advice I read in another thread, I changed my Tesla password and, voila, the car started sleeping again. So I would start by changing your Tesla password so that you KNOW you're starting with a clean slate re: no third party apps waking the car.

Reactions: Big Earl
I was struggling to figure out why my car wasn't sleeping and forgot that I had logged into one of the monitoring sites. I've been using Teslafi and have had no issues with sleeping (once I figured out the right settings), so couldn't understand what was happening. Based on advice I read in another thread, I changed my Tesla password and, voila, the car started sleeping again. So I would start by changing your Tesla password so that you KNOW you're starting with a clean slate re: no third party apps waking the car.

Good advice in general, but sounds like OP is trying to figure this out BEFORE using any third party app:

Want to get the car to sleep like it should before trying TeslaFi or any other monitor.

Will try and get all the answers here...

Sentry mode is turned off at home.

The API says "online". I have never seen the "offline" status.

I wonder if it is the uploading of data. It happens after I have driven a few hours. Today was a short drive but ended up getting an update to 2019.28.3.1. I don't mind it updating itself.

I think the next step is to change the password just in case I put in something I forgot about.

Does ABRP (A Better Route Planner) hammer on the API enough to keep it awake? (Wonder if that's it?)

Does ABRP (A Better Route Planner) hammer on the API enough to keep it awake? (Wonder if that's it?)

Heh, if they aren’t buggy it hopefully wouldn’t do that while parked and not driving or charging... but maybe it’s buggy, or not nice.

If you use a different OAuth bearer token for each 3rd party service and a different one for your own curl usage, then you can use the revoke API to turn off each 3rd party individually without having to go nuclear with the password change requiring you to update your app, your curl token, etc, etc.

I found that with this release, 2019.28.3.1, my Tesla M3 actually goes to a status of "offline".

Looking online, it seems that the status of "offline" is the deepsleep of other models. Need to run the "wake_up" function to get the car back online. I am not 100% sure of this as the update is very new.

I found that with this release, 2019.28.3.1, my Tesla M3 actually goes to a status of "offline".

Looking online, it seems that the status of "offline" is the deepsleep of other models. Need to run the "wake_up" function to get the car back online. I am not 100% sure of this as the update is very new.

I'm not on .28 yet, still on .24 and I've seen the 'offline' before. I don't think it has anything to do with "deep sleep". I think it is literally not connected to the Tesla server.

I've seen it be "asleep" all night long when I turn wifi off, when I leave it on, it has a weak signal so I think sometimes it shows as "offline".

Maybe they changed it from .24 to .28, but this is what I have observed myself so far pre-.28.

Do you have wifi on still? Did you get any behaviour change with it turned off?

I've been seeing this occasionally for a while now, since sometime in the 2019.24.x or maybe even 2019.20.x series. I'm not sure what's happening, really, but vampire drain seems low, and the car wakes up OK, so I'm not overly concerned.

On 24.4 here. Last night I intentionally left wifi on ... weak signal. After a couple minutes the car wasn’t responding to API requests... “upstream timeout”. ‘vehicles’ API said it was still ‘online’ though ... for a few minutes, then it started to say ‘offline’. After that the other API requests said “vehicle unavailable” instead of the timeout error.

Note this was all standing near the car, before it had even locked from walk-away door lock.

This doesn’t exclude other uses of ‘offline’, but it at least demonstrates to me that ‘offline’ includes the traditional sense of not being network-connected for whatever reason. Much later I checked ‘vehicles’ again and it had switched to ‘asleep’ where it remained overnight.

Last edited:
I've been seeing this occasionally for a while now, since sometime in the 2019.24.x or maybe even 2019.20.x series. I'm not sure what's happening, really, but vampire drain seems low, and the car wakes up OK, so I'm not overly concerned.

What's happening is that the car is in a deep sleep. When that happens, the Wifi is turned off to save that energy as well. The car wakes up by opening the door or a wake_up API call. (Goes through cell connection.) Hopefully this deep sleep does not stop the car from getting updates.

What's happening is that the car is in a deep sleep. When that happens, the Wifi is turned off to save that energy as well. The car wakes up by opening the door or a wake_up API call. (Goes through cell connection.) Hopefully this deep sleep does not stop the car from getting updates.

“Offline” may indicate some deep sleep state, I don’t know that to be true or false, but I do know that “offline” does indicate “not connected to the network”. See my post just above. The car was “offline” within 3 minutes of parking it. It was certainly not in a “deep sleep” state yet — it hadn’t even locked from “walk away” yet :)

You could test this yourself by disconnecting your home wifi from the internet and seeing if the car connected to wifi switches to “offline”.

Reactions: ICON
I'm not on .28 yet, still on .24 and I've seen the 'offline' before. I don't think it has anything to do with "deep sleep". I think it is literally not connected to the Tesla server.

I've seen it be "asleep" all night long when I turn wifi off, when I leave it on, it has a weak signal so I think sometimes it shows as "offline".

Maybe they changed it from .24 to .28, but this is what I have observed myself so far pre-.28.

Do you have wifi on still? Did you get any behaviour change with it turned off?

Yes - Wifi is still on. When I return home it stays online for about 1 hour or so. Looking at the router, there is data transfer going on to someplace. When that seems over, the car goes into offline state and I see the Wifi connection drop. (It is a good to excellent connection.) I issued a wake_up command and it went back online immediately. About 12 min later, back to offline.

I think you use TeslaFi - does the offline effect it catching charging? If you turn off Wifi, how do you get updates?

“Offline” may indicate some deep sleep state, I don’t know that to be true or false, but I do know that “offline” does indicate “not connected to the network”.

My car stops responding to pings on my local WiFi even when it's asleep but not offline. That said, I can't be sure that its WiFi radio has shut off in this state (it could still be on but just not responding), much less what its LTE status is.

Yes - Wifi is still on. When I return home it stays online for about 1 hour or so. Looking at the router, there is data transfer going on to someplace. When that seems over, the car goes into offline state and I see the Wifi connection drop. (It is a good to excellent connection.) I issued a wake_up command and it went back online immediately. About 12 min later, back to offline.

I think you use TeslaFi - does the offline effect it catching charging? If you turn off Wifi, how do you get updates?

I do not use TeslaFi, have never used any third party app. I send the API requests myself. I can get updates on wifi at work, but I’ve only been experimenting with shutting wifi off at home recently when I noticed the offline state one night all night.

There are obviously different meanings of “offline” here ... when I saw my car “offline”, wake_up got an error response, it did not wake the car up :)

Last edited:
My car stops responding to pings on my local WiFi even when it's asleep but not offline. That said, I can't be sure that its WiFi radio has shut off in this state (it could still be on but just not responding), much less what its LTE status is.

You can see if the Tesla MAC is still registered with your wireless router or not. I had wifi on, the car showed “asleep”, and the car was not connected to the router (checked the router client list), so it seems to have shut the wifi off (or given up because the signal is ‘average’).

Anyways, it seems your original post’s battery drain, no-sleep issue is gone now? Or are you seeing drain still when “offline”?
An hour of data transmission sounds like maybe you’ve been “selected” and are providing data for fleet learning :)

2 more datapoints on this from today:
  1. I saw my car not sleeping and staying online for well over an hour. Thought I might be experiencing a similar issue, but once I made it out to the car it was about 1/3 of the way through a software download :)
  2. I saw my car go offline... while it was charging and most definitely not asleep, so... more data points of 'offline' being something other than sleep (not saying it cannot also be sleep, just saying it seeminlgy can be varying levels of both disconnected and awake/asleep).