Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car returned to lease company, being charged for super charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have returned the car on Thursday to the lease company and the guy collected it and took it away. Today my app says that my supercharging is blocked because I do not have a payment method to pay for charging (I removed the payment method expecting that I will be charged for this after I return the car)

Who do I contact to get this sorted so I don't have to pay for the lease company charging the car?

...I removed the payment method expecting that I will be charged for this after I return the car...
I guess it is tricky during the ownership transition period. Shouldn't you remove your ownership on the Tesla Account page as circled below?:

JsuzolA.jpg

So I have returned the car on Thursday to the lease company and the guy collected it and took it away. Today my app says that my supercharging is blocked because I do not have a payment method to pay for charging (I removed the payment method expecting that I will be charged for this after I return the car)

Who do I contact to get this sorted so I don't have to pay for the lease company charging the car?
I think you may have to speak to the lease company and deduct the amount or get them to refund. Could have been avoided if you had spoken to them before returning the car as you anticipated this to happen. They will have an option of a dummy account to use supercharger the returning cars etc.,

I’ll remember this when I return mine.

Reactions: sliyk
I think you may have to speak to the lease company and deduct the amount or get them to refund. Could have been avoided if you had spoken to them before returning the car as you anticipated this to happen. They will have an option of a dummy account to use supercharger the returning cars etc.,

I’ll remember this when I return mine.
It was just my paranoid mind thinking that the Tesla vehicle does not get removed from my account quite quickly because I don't have the option of 'remove car' and was wondering what would happen if they used the super chargers. I removed my credit card from my account and now there is a £10 pending charge as the guy who took the car from me supercharged it yesterday.

Can you add your credit card back, then view charging history and approve payment for the missed payment? I’m not sure what you can and can not see with a lease/ss car, but that’s what you do if your credit card has expired. You might need to do this from a web browser and not the app.

Surely it's not your issue, the car was always the lease company's vehicle, you were the driver for the lease term, now they have taken it back and decided to supercharge it THEY must foot the bill for using the superchargers.

Once the term of the agreement is over it's not your responsibility!

Surely it's not your issue, the car was always the lease company's vehicle, you were the driver for the lease term, now they have taken it back and decided to supercharge it THEY must foot the bill for using the superchargers.

Once the term of the agreement is over it's not your responsibility!
That sounds fair but the only downside I can think of is next time when the OP uses the same email id to log in to Tesla account it may block the account from using supercharger. So the OP entered in a situation he didn’t really want in the first place.

I leased my first Model 3 and removed my payment method before returning the car like you did. Haven't been charged for anything.

Are you saying you are being charged for supercharging on that car even though you've returned it and removed the payment method?

...Are you saying you are being charged for supercharging on that car even though you've returned it and removed the payment method?..
Someone has to change the car ownership information in the Tesla Account. If it is not changed as in this case, the past owner would still be liable for all the Supercharging even when the credit card info was removed.

Usually, a past owner could just remove the past car easily but not allowable in this case because it's a salary sacrifice car.

Reactions: sliyk and Matt125
Someone has to change the car ownership information in the Tesla Account. If it is not changed as in this case, the past owner would still be liable for all the Supercharging even when the credit card info was removed.

Usually, a past owner could just remove the past car easily but not allowable in this case because it's a salary sacrifice car.

Thank you for the explanation.

When I had my lease (not salary sacrifice), the car never showed in my Tesla Account. Supercharging worked via my payment method which is there regardless (so you can buy merchandise and the like). When I returned the car it showed in my Tesla App for several weeks until eventually it disappeared. It was slightly confusing when I got my own Tesla and saw both in the app.

Reactions: sliyk