Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car says to connect to wifi to download even when wifi signal is shown and strong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notification that the new update was available and to connect to wifi. Although I've always been connected, and the display showed my network with a green check, the display showed a weak signal. I rearranged by router and sattelites and got a very strong signal shown by the display. I even deleted the network and reinstalled it. But I still get the "Connect to wifi" message. Any suggestions? I'd like to avoid to rebooting the computers (I've already done it several times for the display), if that would even work.

Did you try to move the car? I beleive the Wifi antena is inside the driver side mirror.
The signal shown in the car is 3 out of 4 bars so it's stronger than it's even been when I received updates without a problem. (I moved a satellite closer to where the car is.) . Nevertheless, I moved the car out of the garage and the signal failed completely. The car has a green check inside a green circle so the "right hand" the car says it is actually connected. The "left hand" of the car still tells me to connect to wifi. Another case where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
I got the notification that the new update was available and to connect to wifi. Although I've always been connected, and the display showed my network with a green check, the display showed a weak signal. I rearranged by router and sattelites and got a very strong signal shown by the display. I even deleted the network and reinstalled it. But I still get the "Connect to wifi" message. Any suggestions? I'd like to avoid to rebooting the computers (I've already done it several times for the display), if that would even work.
Make sure you don't have an extra level of login to make (eg. when connecting to a hotel or library router). Open the browser and see if you can load google.com or some other common website.

Try changing the channel on the network.

I have exactly the same issue. Car is connected fine on WiFi (brand new Model S Peformance), can watch Netflix but refuses to believe it is connected when it comes to downloading an update.
Any more details on what fixed it?

I have exactly the same issue. Car is connected fine on WiFi (brand new Model S Peformance), can watch Netflix but refuses to believe it is connected when it comes to downloading an update.
Any more details on what fixed it?
Whether you are connected to WiFi has no bearing on whether your car is READY to receive the update: WiFi is only required for the actual download.

I don't regularly connect to WiFi. The I get the notification that an update is ready, THEN I connect to WiFI (hotspot on my phone during a drive) to download the update and then schedule the install (once DL is complete) that night.

I've got the same issue since yesterday. The Model 3 says "Update Available" and " Please connect to Wi-Fi to download ...". It is on WiFi, as evidenced by the IP address that comes up in the browser if I search " What's my IP address".

The car is in the same place as in my garage where it has gotten every previous update. I've restarted the car with two thumbs and brake. I've forgotten and reconnected to Wifi. I've rebooted the firewall and confirmed in the firewall logs that it isn't blocking the car.

What else can I try before contacting Tesla Support?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I've got the same issue since yesterday. The Model 3 says "Update Available" and " Please connect to Wi-Fi to download ...". It is on WiFi, as evidenced by the IP address that comes up in the browser if I search " What's my IP address".

The car is in the same place as in my garage where it has gotten every previous update. I've restarted the car with two thumbs and brake. I've forgotten and reconnected to Wifi. I've rebooted the firewall and confirmed in the firewall logs that it isn't blocking the car.

What else can I try before contacting Tesla Support?
I cracked and did a chat with Tesla Support. They found that the link between my car and the download server was borked. They reset that link, and the download started immediately afterwards.

Reactions: Watts_Up