Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Seats, what inside your X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm now using Maxi Cosi Pebble Plus (i-Size compliant) and my boy is now 9 months old so need to move up to toddler car seat. I'm interested in swivel type seat that allows my wife to put the baby easily from the side, then rotate the seat to rear facing position. With Maxi Cosi they have a swivel seat called Axissfix (fix means ISOFIX/LATCH), but this requires top tether anchored to the seat back or the trunk.
http://www.maxi-cosi.com/car-seats/axissfix.aspx

I plan to use middle row seat for the car seat in 6 seat configuration, and the middle row seat on the X doesn't have top tether anchor point, does it?

Is there any recommendations for swivel car seats, LATCH/ISOFIX for the second row on the X? I've heard Britax Dualfix and Cybex Sirona both swivel and don't require top tether but they are not yet i-Size certified.

@LuckyX did you get pictures of your RXT installed? I'm curious as I couldn't get 2 Radians to sit correctly and so I gave up. Ended up swapping them to my wife's i3 and took the Britax Marathons which were easy to install. Someone can still sit in the middle if they're skinny or don't mind leaning forward a bit. The Radians would have given that person a little more shoulder room.

Check out the Diono radian rxt top tether installation video for rear facing. Anchored around the front passenger seat rail. That's how I did mine with my 13 month old rear facing in the 2nd row six seater.
Hi, @LuckyX, thanks for the suggestion!

You mean this video?

Unfortunately this is not what I mentioned. Please take a look at Axissfix video:

I meant "top tether" going from the top of the car seat to the back of the 2nd row seat. Sorry for my bad English.

Also I wanted to see your photo above but the link doesn't seem to be working.

@hiroshiy the 2nd row seats have a top tether, its located at the very very bottom of the seat back almost under the seat. Hopefully the Maxi tether is long enough.
Hi, @LuckyX , thanks for the explanation! Glad to hear, but definitely need to check with the manufacturer about the length of the tether. If you happen to have a photo of that tether anchor location (bottom of the 2nd row seat back) I'd appreciate if you could upload that for me. If you don't never mind. I'll have my sales guy send the photo.

Thanks but what permissions do I need to see the links to your pics?

Agree on the time. It took me awhile to get one Radian in and it never sat right. The Britax were super easy and quick. Though I'm having a hard time getting the rear tether to stay up on the seats. They keep slipping.

New to the permissions thing so I'll try and figure out to allow users to view. My top tethers are to the left and right side of the head rest. There was too much wiggle going directly in the middle.

I really like the marathons in my wife's car but didn't want to buy new boosters later down the road. RXT will be the last of them! Thank god

I'm curious for some help here if anyone can lend some insight... I have a Britax Frontier 85 which I use in my S without issue. I have a Model X for the next 36 hours for an extended test drive and putting the child seat in tonight gave me issues and I had to give in mounting it into the 3rd row so I could get the family home.

When trying to install the seat in the 2nd row (6 seat config) the LATCH hooks are in and I can connect the back tether in the bottom back hook however how the straps go around the headrest it isn't safe. The straps are pulled as tight as possible however with the slant of the seat the straps with not much effort slip off the seat and something just seems wrong.

How do you get the two tether straps to safely stay on the top of the seat and not fall off?

If you have two straps to your rear tether, just put one on each side of the headrest. If you only have one, put it on the outboard side, according to the Tesla manual. I only have one and I've made it pretty darn tight to the point that I was worried I'd crack the plastic on the back. It's not going anywhere.

I'm no engineer, but I think the point of the rear tether strap is to restrain forward movement in the event of a crash. I don't think slipping off the side is a concern, as long as the strap is as tight as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
When trying to install the seat in the 2nd row (6 seat config) the LATCH hooks are in and I can connect the back tether in the bottom back hook however how the straps go around the headrest it isn't safe. The straps are pulled as tight as possible however with the slant of the seat the straps with not much effort slip off the seat and something just seems wrong.

How do you get the two tether straps to safely stay on the top of the seat and not fall off?

I had a similar issue with our Britax Frontier ClickTight. Specifically, the tether strap itself was entirely too short to reach the tether anchor position all the way at the bottom of the rear of the seat, without having each side of the strap be connected very far down the side of the seat rather than over top of the headrest. I had to call up Britax and order a tether extender (it is not available from their website directly as far as I can tell).

With that extender, the tether on the Frontier now reaches, but you have to pull REALLY REALLY REALLY tightly to get the two straps to stay up high on either side of the headrest without having them slide down, due to the angle of the seat being too vertical and not much horizontal.

I now check the straps almost every time I put my daughter into her seat to make sure they haven't slid down too far. It's less than ideal.

I ended up having the tether straps go around the side and down to the rear anchor position and it honestly felt like the child seat was fused in place. I was giving it some though and the purpose I feel of the top tether is to keep the top of the seat down firmly. If you are using the LATCH system or even just your seatbelt through the seat those are intended to keep the bottom of the seat in one spot only.

With my car seat the tether comes off the top rear of the child seat so it is already attached at the top (maybe others differ I don't know)... But going out the side and down you have pressure from the top of the seat both backwards into the seat as the anchor is back as well as down as the anchor is low. I literally couldn't even wiggle the seat once installed and I felt totally safe with it installed that way.

Now that the extended test drive has come and gone I have the internal debate of do I replace the S with an X but I'll keep mulling that over :)

Reactions: hiroshiy
Today I test drove an X to Maxi Cosi authorized dealer in Tokyo and tested if Maxi Cosi AxissFix fits in the second row outboard seat. It fit! The manufacturer doesn't yet say anything about vehicle compatibility, but the store staff and I thought the car seat is locked tightly in place.

We used ISOFIX legs and one top tether, anchored to the back bottom of the 2nd row seat. No issues with seatbelt receptacles, as somebody said some car seats are too wide and interfere with receptacles, preventing the car seat from being secured.

Photos below.
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

Reactions: bushburner
New to the permissions thing so I'll try and figure out to allow users to view. My top tethers are to the left and right side of the head rest. There was too much wiggle going directly in the middle.

I really like the marathons in my wife's car but didn't want to buy new boosters later down the road. RXT will be the last of them! Thank god
Any luck with the photos? I've been trying to figure out how to make a R120 work in my six-seater and I haven't found a good way to interface it with the existing seat shape yet.