TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car showed off, but all screens and music were powered on.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 787steve, Sep 29, 2016.

1. 787steve

787steve Member

Noobie question here. My wife is a wee bit intimidated by our new MS. After two weeks, she has finally started to take it out on her own. Tonight she drove it home without me. When I arrived 45 minutes later I observed that though the car was unoccupied, all screens were on, music was playing and climate control was operating. When I got in the car I saw CAR Off on the left display.
    Would this happen if she left the car without engaging P? Is there another potential cause for this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

Generally the car will put itself in Park when you open a door. Leaving the car in Neutral requires an extra step or two.

Is it possible that the door was ajar? That can leave music and climate control running. See Keeping the radio ON when exiting the car for similar tricks.

3. 787steve

787steve Member

Might have been. I didn't notice.
    Thanks

4. jstearns

jstearns New Member

This happens to me about 5% of the time.

When I park my 2016 S75, I hold my foot on the brake and press the "Park" button on the stalk. Then I exit the vehicle.

Most of the time, the car will immediately turn off the radio and climate control. About 30 seconds later, it will turn off the headlights and retract the door handles and mirrors.

But not always. About 5% of the time, all screens will stay on. The dashboard display will appear normal, but will say "Car Off" in the lower right corner. (There are no other alerts or messages.) The handles will retract. The car will sit in this state for hours, draining the battery until it's quite low. Then it will completely power down, apparently in hopes of preserving the last bit of charge.

I've asked the Cathedral City service center about this several times. They have no suggestions. The typical response is a variation of "It's like a PC, sometimes you have to force a reboot".

This behavior has been consistent since the car was new, and has persisted despite multiple reboots and software upgrades.