Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car showed off, but all screens and music were powered on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noobie question here. My wife is a wee bit intimidated by our new MS. After two weeks, she has finally started to take it out on her own. Tonight she drove it home without me. When I arrived 45 minutes later I observed that though the car was unoccupied, all screens were on, music was playing and climate control was operating. When I got in the car I saw CAR Off on the left display.
Would this happen if she left the car without engaging P? Is there another potential cause for this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

This happens to me about 5% of the time.

When I park my 2016 S75, I hold my foot on the brake and press the "Park" button on the stalk. Then I exit the vehicle.

Most of the time, the car will immediately turn off the radio and climate control. About 30 seconds later, it will turn off the headlights and retract the door handles and mirrors.

But not always. About 5% of the time, all screens will stay on. The dashboard display will appear normal, but will say "Car Off" in the lower right corner. (There are no other alerts or messages.) The handles will retract. The car will sit in this state for hours, draining the battery until it's quite low. Then it will completely power down, apparently in hopes of preserving the last bit of charge.

I've asked the Cathedral City service center about this several times. They have no suggestions. The typical response is a variation of "It's like a PC, sometimes you have to force a reboot".

This behavior has been consistent since the car was new, and has persisted despite multiple reboots and software upgrades.