Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car turns on Apple Pay. What's going on???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I have an iPhone SE still running iOS 10. I have the Tesla app on the phone. The app works fine. The car unlocks and locks according to proximity as it should.

I also have the phone connect to the car by bluetooth for music or phone calls.

There's no problem with the app or the proximity features. But when the car connects to the phone's bluetooth (for music and phone calls) it opens the Apple Pay screen on the phone. Sometimes the connection fails, and then the screen remains blank.

I have music on a jump drive always connected to the car. When the car's bluetooth connects to the phone, it starts playing music from the phone, even though I was listening to the jump drive last time I was in the car. And the Apple Pay screen comes up. When the bluetooth fails to connect, the screen remains blank, and the car resumes playing music from the jump drive.

Anybody know what's going on? I'd be fine with telling the car never to use the phone for music, if I knew how to do this, but I don't want to tell it to forget the phone because then it would not work for phone calls. And I can't shut off the bluetooth on the phone because it needs that for the proximity lock/unlock.

By chance are you putting your phone near the cup holders? (Where you put the "valet" key card to start the car if you aren't using the phone as a key.) If so, your iPhone is falsely detecting that NFC reader as a payment point.

• Helpful
Reactions: rabar10
I have an iPhone SE still running iOS 10. I have the Tesla app on the phone. The app works fine. The car unlocks and locks according to proximity as it should.

I also have the phone connect to the car by bluetooth for music or phone calls.

There's no problem with the app or the proximity features. But when the car connects to the phone's bluetooth (for music and phone calls) it opens the Apple Pay screen on the phone. Sometimes the connection fails, and then the screen remains blank.

I have music on a jump drive always connected to the car. When the car's bluetooth connects to the phone, it starts playing music from the phone, even though I was listening to the jump drive last time I was in the car. And the Apple Pay screen comes up. When the bluetooth fails to connect, the screen remains blank, and the car resumes playing music from the jump drive.

Anybody know what's going on? I'd be fine with telling the car never to use the phone for music, if I knew how to do this, but I don't want to tell it to forget the phone because then it would not work for phone calls. And I can't shut off the bluetooth on the phone because it needs that for the proximity lock/unlock.
Isn’t that how you pay for supercharging in the M3?

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Isn’t that how you pay for supercharging in the M3?

With 245 miles of range in the Roadster, and now 320 (310?) miles in the M3, I've never used a supercharger. And probably never will. There are no superchargers on the secondary roads I use when I drive up to Canada for hiking, and if I'm traveling anywhere there are superchargers, it's probably to a big city with a big international airport and I'll fly.

If I move to Maui, this car can drive all the way around the island twice and still have about 70 miles in reserve! Who needs chargers? (Except at home.)

• Funny
Reactions: david_42
With 245 miles of range in the Roadster, and now 320 (310?) miles in the M3, I've never used a supercharger. And probably never will. There are no superchargers on the secondary roads I use when I drive up to Canada for hiking, and if I'm traveling anywhere there are superchargers, it's probably to a big city with a big international airport and I'll fly.

If I move to Maui, this car can drive all the way around the island twice and still have about 70 miles in reserve! Who needs chargers? (Except at home.)

Well, I'll be using a supercharger after all. Turns out that Tesla installed a supercharger in Kelowna, so I'll be driving the Model 3 to Canada this summer instead of the Prius. Whoopee!

I have no idea how they charge for the charge. Don't we get a few charges per year free? Doesn't matter. Once I move to Maui (assuming I do, not yet decided for sure) then it will be all charging at home. Heck, in Maui even a Leaf would have plenty of range.

I was under the impression that they just remember what you used and charge you the next time you get service at a service center.

Unlikely, since you might never need service and never visit the service center. I'm sure they have a way to charge you at the time you use the charger. Maybe the card on file on your account, or maybe swipe your card at the charger? I don't know.

Unlikely, since you might never need service and never visit the service center. I'm sure they have a way to charge you at the time you use the charger. Maybe the card on file on your account, or maybe swipe your card at the charger? I don't know.
Two things: First, there are no yearly credits for Model 3 Supercharging. Next, for Supercharging, you are billed to the credit card on file in your profile.

I was under the impression that they just remember what you used and charge you the next time you get service at a service center.

Nope you are billed to the credit card you have on file immediately after the charging session. (People have complained about it, and would like them to combine the charges into once a week, or once a month, charges so they don't have so many lines on their statement.)

Nope you are billed to the credit card you have on file immediately after the charging session. (People have complained about it, and would like them to combine the charges into once a week, or once a month, charges so they don't have so many lines on their statement.)

Do people routinely supercharge this often? If road tripping I can see it but multiple times a week?