Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Unlocking On Its Own At Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model X for a few weeks. I keep it plugged in at night with charging to begin at midnight. I've noticed recently that when I go into the garage (without my key on me), the car headlights are on, suggesting the car is unlocked. I'll lock the car with my fob, and then 30 minutes later, I'll notice the car is unlocked with the headlights on (side view mirrors in the "out" position).

Anyone experience anything similar?

I've had my Model X for a few weeks. I keep it plugged in at night with charging to begin at midnight. I've noticed recently that when I go into the garage (without my key on me), the car headlights are on, suggesting the car is unlocked. I'll lock the car with my fob, and then 30 minutes later, I'll notice the car is unlocked with the headlights on (side view mirrors in the "out" position).

Is your key in close proximity of the car?

its possible the signal is being bounced or even possibly amplified by something in your house, try putting your key fob significantly further away or in something that will shield radio signals and see if it continues to happen.

Yes, and here's the answer: The SC just confirmed to me that there is a software "Bug" (his word) that is causing the vehicle to start up on its own, including the HVAC. He said it will be patched automatically during an over the air update tonight or tomorrow.

my X also wakes up then immediately shut down at random times during the night. the lights will come on, then close, mirrors fold out and back in. there's about a 2-3% drain each night. I moved my keys far away and it still happened. glad its a known issue and will be patched.

I HATE that the car wakes up whenever I walk into the garage. The coolant pump starts, the contactor closes, lights go-on. This happens many times a day, unless I think to remove the key from my pocket. I'd rather it just unlocked itself in case I'm actually going to drive by allowing me to open the door but it shouldn't assume I'm going to drive it every time I get close to it.....and no reason to start everything up.

Also, our bedroom is directly above the garage and my wife keeps the key in the bedroom. For all I know, the car starts-up and shuts-down many times during the night. That can't be good for it.

Yes this needs to be fixed. Another side consequence I'm seeing if this it is causing my phone to act up.

2 resulting issues:
1. If I'm on a call, the phone connects to the Tesla's Bluetooth. So sound and mic are redirected to the Tesla and I need to select the phone/BT headset back on the phone settings to get the audio back.

2. My music on my phone randomly starts playing on my phone by itself. When the Tesla starts up randomly, it is again triggering music player on my phone via Bluetooth. But because it's so brief, it is actually playing Thur my phone and not the car. This is probably partially an issue with the iPhone iOS but it wouldn't be happening if the Tesla wasn't auto starting itself randomly.

I HATE that the car wakes up whenever I walk into the garage. The coolant pump starts, the contactor closes, lights go-on. This happens many times a day, unless I think to remove the key from my pocket. I'd rather it just unlocked itself in case I'm actually going to drive by allowing me to open the door but it shouldn't assume I'm going to drive it every time I get close to it.....and no reason to start everything up.

Also, our bedroom is directly above the garage and my wife keeps the key in the bedroom. For all I know, the car starts-up and shuts-down many times during the night. That can't be good for it.
They can solve this by simply making auto lock location aware. There's no reason to have the car locked inside the garage. They need to give an option to "never auto lock at this location".

Seriously, no one has yet made any comments on the above statement? It's been over a week! :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
2. My music on my phone randomly starts playing on my phone by itself. When the Tesla starts up randomly, it is again triggering music player on my phone via Bluetooth. But because it's so brief, it is actually playing Thur my phone and not the car. This is probably partially an issue with the iPhone iOS but it wouldn't be happening if the Tesla wasn't auto starting itself randomly.
Oh my gosh I'm not alone! This is sooooo annoying. It's only happened once at night, but it scared the crap out of me cause the phone's volume was cranked up. It's happened several times during the day. I've found if I leave the car on slacker it's not a problem. But if your last source was USB, it seems to default back to Bluetooth until the USB loads (grrr... so slow!) Or if your last source was Bluetooth, obviously it will pick Bluetooth.

We've twice had the driver's side FWD open apparently spontaneously. Can say with certainty that a button wasn't pushed from a distance, but we found the car with the FWD open. I would love if there was an app alert that let you know if the door had been open for more than 5 minutes without any other in-car activity.

Also, we came out to the Model X from a restaurant where we knew the fob could not have reached and approached from the front and noticed that the windshield wiper had wiped during the rain that had been going on with nobody in the car. There are definately some ghosts (bugs) in the machine here.

Reactions: xspace and ccutrer