Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car wash and detailing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

The Model S will be my very first car. I don't have a domestic helper -- just a part-time cleaner and I won't trust her with my car.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with those car wash companies like Challenger and Wilson? Any positive or negative comments would be greatly appreciated. In particular, any special considerations given Model S is an EV? (I doubt it, but just wanted to see if I missed anything.) Approximately how much does a wash cost? How often do you get your car cleaned?

Thanks!
AppleFan

For about 20 years, my cars are getting cleaned buy a guy who services various carparks in my area. He's not looking highly professional, but so far, no complains. Usually the car is getting washed 4-5 times a week and it costs HK$300/month.

I got mine in silver metallic. Shouldn't need to wash it too often haha!

Seriously, I could be looking into something like that also, as I haven't got access to do it myself (a place to do it, and a water hose)

I used to have package with Challenger and now I have Cars.

Pros: they have many locations and it is convenience to drop of the car for a polish.
Cons: I don't like they use a buckle to wash the car as it leaves marks on the paint surface and cannot covered by the polish 100%.

I don't see a big difference between the 2 companies, I guess it really depends on who do the polish for you. average price is about 5-600 each polish.

Also tried Glare and Threebond which are coatings, I will write more if you want to know more details.

:smile:

My only suggestion is not to get the threebond coating

Challenger / Cars / Wilson are detailing and good for quarterly or monthly maintenance. Usually they'll sell you a package like annual fee or service coupons, averaged to about HK$300 each time. Actually quite good.

However you really need a daily wipe/wash to keep the car looks tidy. Usually there'll be some cleaning service company in each carpark and charge HK$200-300 a month to have your car wiped down every night.

Having said that, you'll need to bear with some wipe marks or swirls as they usually work on limited water supply so don't expect much.

If you have a black car then good luck, you need much more efforts to keep it clean. Any imperfection will be more visible. (I had one and never again...)

Thank you all for your input!
I live in an apartment building where there are only two occupied parking spots, so there's no-one who can do the daily wipe-downs for me. Frankly, I don't drive every day anyway, so it should be fine.
Glad to hear that Challenger and Cars are good. I think I'll use them every 4-6 weeks. And then for the more day-to-day, I can get my part-time cleaner to just wipe down the exterior?

Thanks again
AppleFan

AYim, why not go to three bond? I have never been there. I had experience with Glare, they are good but tense to take too much clear coat out of your car

In my opinion 3Bond is expensive, no car wash package after the coating. Maintenance sprays sold separately and was out of stock at the time I did the coating, so I don't know how easy to apply. Maintenance at their shop is about 800 a time if I remember correctly.
My experience with 3bond, their coating left water marks on it easily, and since I don't have the sprays or polish DIY package from them, I didn't get a chance to fix it myself.

Compared to Glare, I think the Kowloon Bay center offered me a good package and services, the package price was pretty good, they gave me free DIY package such as cash wash and polish so I can wash and polish my car at home. Too bad their shop at Kowloon was closed.

In my opinion 3Bond is expensive, no car wash package after the coating. Maintenance sprays sold separately and was out of stock at the time I did the coating, so I don't know how easy to apply. Maintenance at their shop is about 800 a time if I remember correctly.
My experience with 3bond, their coating left water marks on it easily, and since I don't have the sprays or polish DIY package from them, I didn't get a chance to fix it myself.

Compared to Glare, I think the Kowloon Bay center offered me a good package and services, the package price was pretty good, they gave me free DIY package such as cash wash and polish so I can wash and polish my car at home. Too bad their shop at Kowloon was closed.

I had 3bond coating on my car for 2 years, I agree with you , their coating isn't that good for protection from dirt and water spot (but I didn't do any maintenance with 3 Bond). I did some research on coatings and found that Opti-coat 2.0 and Cquartz are quite good but no detailers carry them in HK. I may order opti-coat 2.0 and DIY.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating
CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant

- - - Updated - - -

More on paint protection:

http://teslaliving.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/paint-body-protection/

I asked a shop for whole car wrap (clear), they quote me HK$40,000 using Suntek films. I may wrap my car and then apply coating myself.

I got my P85 (white) since November 2012. My son always hand wash it. Usually once every other week (the car is always parked inside either home garage or indoor public garage). However, he always get washed after 1000 miles trip (round trip between San Francisco and Los Angeles/San Diego in which we do often).

I diyed Cquartz to my silver Audi. Amazing result! I am planning to apply Opti Coat 2.0 on my Tesla when it arrive.

I personally will stay away from shops like challenger and Wilson, unless you enjoy your car to being wet sanded. Go keepre or NTI, as they must be better than the chain stores inside of the mall parking garage.

I diyed Cquartz to my silver Audi. Amazing result! I am planning to apply Opti Coat 2.0 on my Tesla when it arrive.

I personally will stay away from shops like challenger and Wilson, unless you enjoy your car to being wet sanded. Go keepre or NTI, as they must be better than the chain stores inside of the mall parking garage.

You must have good polishing skill. My major concern to DIY is the "paint correction" step before applying the coating. Even it will be a brand new car, but it may have light swirls. I don't have any DIY polishing experience.

Impressive Wrap Hong Kong

They quoted me $40k for whole car clear wrap with Suntek films. Another one cost double with Xpel films. (they told me it is done by a technician from Japan)

:eek: 40k and 80k for the wrap? I never thought it will be that expensive. I used to think a whole car wrap will cost 2xK only.

Talking about technician from Japan, after my 3bond experience, I don't really care about the nationality of the person whos going to do the job, I care if they do their job with heart. :smile: