Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash Mode leaves Sentry Mode et. al in wrong state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I used the new Car Wash Mode in anger for the first time today. When I went to next drive the car, I found the battery depleted 5% because sentry had been left on and HVAC turned off.

I later confirmed that if you have Sentry on in an exclude location then turn on car wash mode, when you then turn car wash mode off, sentry will turn on, even though excluded at that location. Unfortunately, if you then turn sentry off ,when still within the exclude zone, you turn sentry off-off, so next time you stop outside the exclude zone sentry will not activate.

I've not had a chance to double check HVAC. But stopping at first junction after starting my first drive after using Car Wash Mode I found that all HVAC settings were off. Hitting the HVAC controls bought up the panel at which point it turn itself back on. Before using car wash mode the HVAC should definitely have been on auto.

There was only a few minutes between returning from my first drive and turning on Car Wash Mode. I double checked the sentry mode error after returning from a drive, confirming sentry was off (as it was in an exclude zone), putting car in Car Wash Mode, then turning it off again. Sentry erroneously turned itself on so I manually had to turn sentry off. I now need to remember to turn it back on once I leave the exclude zone. Unless someone knows a workaround.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: browellm
With Sentry Mode enabled but in an excluded location it's also necessary to manually disable its automatic activation to be able to disable tilt/intrusion alarm to be able to set cabin overheat protection.

Car Wash Mode seems primarily designed for automated car wash systems such as travelling conveyors or (the horror) spinning roller brushes. My own car wash mode involves leaving the key inside to keep the auto wing mirrors extended :)

Reactions: Yachtsman