Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car wash time

washing your model 3

• I do that sh*t myself, nobody touches my car!

Votes: 67 71.3%
  • I take it to a $60 car wash where they put it through the machine then clean interior while i watch

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I go to a gas station car wash for $10

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I pay about $125-150 for a guy to come to my house and do a full car detail

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • other: tell us

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
51OVHIWjBSL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Anyone use Dove dishwashing liquid to wash your car? How important do you think are the warnings in the owners manual about avoiding certain products for car wash? Anyone use armor-all for interior non-leather surfaces? How about Maguires leather cleaner instead of recommended mild soapy solution on leather?

Got my Model 3 in December and haven't figured out my car wash plan yet. I used to go through the $10 gas station ones in my last car (a cheapo used Chevy Sonic), and never had any issues. Is Tesla paint really that much worse? I'd love to hear from the 3 (so far) respondents who go through such car washes with their Tesla. I feel like on a hobbyist board like this there will be a selection bias against doing it that way.

So far, I've only used "touchless" car washes, where you pull in and get a pressure washer wand to spray at the car, which works... okay.

Anyone use Dove dishwashing liquid to wash your car? How important do you think are the warnings in the owners manual about avoiding certain products for car wash? Anyone use armor-all for interior non-leather surfaces? How about Maguires leather cleaner instead of recommended mild soapy solution on leather?

Can You Use Dish Soap to Wash Your Car?​

Never use dish soap to wash your car. According to Consumer Reports, dish soap isn't formulated for use on a car's paint. Even a detergent like Dawn is an abrasive cleaner and can strip away a vehicle's protective top coat.

What Soaps Should Be Used for Washing Cars?​

The best soaps for washing cars are ones that are specifically formulated for this purpose. They're milder than dish soap or laundry detergent ━ plus, they're designed to be used on car exteriors. For the best results, it's always advisable to use the recommended amount of water to dilute them according to the product's instructions.

Reactions: Lashlee

Can You Use Dish Soap to Wash Your Car?​

Never use dish soap to wash your car. According to Consumer Reports, dish soap isn't formulated for use on a car's paint. Even a detergent like Dawn is an abrasive cleaner and can strip away a vehicle's protective top coat.

What Soaps Should Be Used for Washing Cars?​

The best soaps for washing cars are ones that are specifically formulated for this purpose. They're milder than dish soap or laundry detergent ━ plus, they're designed to be used on car exteriors. For the best results, it's always advisable to use the recommended amount of water to dilute them according to the product's instructions.
I would even further that statement by saying the best car wash soaps are car wash shampoos.

So far, I've only used "touchless" car washes, where you pull in and get a pressure washer wand to spray at the car, which works... okay.

There are a couple drawbacks to touchless car washes. 1) Because they do not make contact with the paint, they don't clean as well. 2) Because they don't clean as well, they often try to compensate by using very high pH soaps. High pH soaps do clean a bit better than pH neutral soaps, but the high pH soaps also tend to degrade or even strip waxes and sealants. So when your car comes out of the touchless car wash, your car wax or sealant may be weakened, leaving your paint less protected.

I would never use a commercial contact wash. Too much of a risk of them inducing scratches and swirls.

That is why I like to do rinseless car washes. As long as you use good products with the right technique, you can wash your car in 20 minutes without causing any scratches or swirls. Plus each wash costs a lot less and you save a ton of water. You can wash your whole car with 3 gallons of water.

I've always done it myself, but on a trip used a touchless wash. Excellent job.

Two tips when doing it yourself:

1. If you use multiple wash mitts, sponges, or microfiber cloths, you don't need a two-bucket system. Nothing ever goes back into the bucket after touching the car.
  2. I recently washed the car then drove to a self-service and applied a wax. Quick and easy and only $2. Surprisingly good shine.

Touchless wash for me! I’m ceramic coated with a product that resists high PH soaps so no worry on it degrading faster than normal. $27 a month unlimited touchless with a “ceramic” spray from the machine and I’m all good with that.

I typically go everyday if I can.
B55EE30A-F971-4BCF-BA78-557A423CC358.jpeg

Reactions: BitJam
I do touch less or self spray and do a full detail myself once a year. Takes me most of a weekend to do a full detail. Always tell myself I'm going to do two a year but only end up doing it in the spring most years. They are starting to use salt here which I absolutely despise, so I should probably at least wash more often.