Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Wash weirdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 M3RWD, SW V12, 2024.14.9
First hand wash, put in car wash mode (did not want dodgy wipers wiping), 93 degrees F, hose pressure < 40 psi.

During the wash, the following "events" occurred:
Frunk opened randomly and repeatedly.
Trunk opened randomly and repeatedly.
Charge port opened randomly and repeatedly
Horn honked randomly and repeatedly, loud long & softer short beeps.
Side mirrors randomly opened and closed repeatedly.
Main screen was dark. Sentry mode was off. Car was in park. iPhone in pocket but app not active.
Events followed no particular sequence and happened if I moved or stood still.

After drying, events stopped, but had to use card key. Phone key was active, but useless. Previously working walkaway locking did not work. Had to lock manually with app.

1. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
2. Any ideas as to how this might have happened?
3. Should I do a computer reset?

Next wash will be videoed...;)

1. That's wild, and I have not experienced nor heard of that.

2. Was there any place in particular that you sprayed when these things started happening? Sure sounds like phantom commands from the phone app. Any chance your spouse has a dark sense of humor?

3. Yes to two-finger reset. I'd reboot the phone and reinstall the app. I'd start a support ticket and they might be able tell you what happened.

Upvote 0
You think the app was off, but it wasn't. Next time, put your phone on the table away from the car. All these things were because the car was happy 😊 you're there. It won't know if it can't sense your phone and won't respond if your phone does not initiate butt dial commands.

Else ... someone in the house was messin' with you.

All paranormal experiences are easily and simply explained.

Reactions: Adam3
Upvote 0
All of those are functions that can be controlled by the app (and the car screen will not turn on when it is used). Sounds very much like someone was pranking you (or you were "butt dialing" somehow).
Look on the first page of your app, see which commands you have by default.

The "Controls" page in the app also controls all of those functions: frunk, unlock/lock (which would fold/unfold the mirrors), trunk, charge port, horn.
7_815c592b-79c2-4861-bc51-ada30d7299a5.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is the Tesla light show, but you didn't mention the lights flashing (plus it should play music).

There is a faint possibility you forgot to close a window and flooded a controller inside the vehicle, but it should be fairly obvious to you if that was the case (you should notice the interior being wet).

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0