Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car will not respond unless app is running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite the same as OP, but new since I updated to 2020.12.1:
Car won't unlock (pressing the handle) unless I wake up my Pixel XL to the lock screen. I don't need to unlock the phone or open the app, but I do have to take it out of my pocket enough for the screen to turn on.
Kinda bummed about this. It used to be very reliable about unlocking with no extra effort and was very nice.

It also seems to be taking quite a bit longer to wake up from the app, like if I want to turn on climate.

I have always had this problem since I got the car in June last year. If I do not open the app before attempting to open the door, it wouldn't unlock. I would think the passive unlock worked 3/10 times at most. I'm getting used to the habit of starting the app always now before I try to unlock it. if not...I look like an idiot trying to open my own car and it won't open. My brother also has a Model 3 since last July and he experiences the same thing. He's been using the Google Pixel 2 and I have been using Note 8 then Note 10+ recently. Location access has always been allowed for Tesla app for "always."

It's gotten me to believe my car wouldn't open unless I open the app. So hearing people just going to the car and it unlocks is quite amazing lol.

If you have some suggestions for a solution, I'd love to hear.

I had the issue intermittently with my Iphone 7 and then my Iphone 10. Maybe once or twice every 100 tries? When it happens, I open the app and then the door opens immediately on the next try.
This morning, the door would not open, and all i did was pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock the phone. Never even opened the app. Makes no sense. I wonder if you dont even need to take the phone out, and it just takes a second to recognize the phone sometimes...who knows

It's gotten me to believe my car wouldn't open unless I open the app. So hearing people just going to the car and it unlocks is quite amazing lol.

If you have some suggestions for a solution, I'd love to hear.

I'll pay attention to see if I run into the same issue with my Note 10+. So far, it's been behaving. I've only had the car about 3 weeks now though.

This morning, the door would not open, and all i did was pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock the phone. Never even opened the app. Makes no sense. I wonder if you dont even need to take the phone out, and it just takes a second to recognize the phone sometimes...who knows

I had the problem today and just turned on my phone, didn’t even unlock it and it then opened. I tried the door 4x before i just pushed power on my phone and it was like “oh, you can get in now.” BTW - the app was not running on my phone when it “worked finally”

I am going to experiment more with it.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Upon further testing for me, I get 100% success when wearing slacks and my phone is in my front-left pocket. If I'm wearing cargo pants, carpenter jeans or foreman cut kakis (phone in right thigh pocket) I'll usually have to lift the phone out of my pocket before the doors will unlock. Mashing the power button while it's still in my pocket doesn't help.
I'm guessing it is a positioning problem, but one that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I can stand 10 feet away from the car and the kid can unlock it before I even get there.

• Funny
Reactions: swoozle
From day 1 in August 2019 until a few weeks ago, the doors unlocked and the car started every single time. Didn't have to touch the phone, app was running in the background. iPhone X btw.

2020.8.1 came along, and everything was still good. Then a Tesla mobile service guy came to the house and replaced the driver side pillar because of a faulty camera. He reloaded 8.1 because apparently the pillar replacement requires a software reload.

From that moment, I had exactly the problem the OP describes. But not every time. Maybe 50% of the time I had to start the app to open the door. If the door opened without starting the app, then the car wouldn't start without opening the App.

Tesla reloaded 8.1 twice more but the problem persisted. They had me delete and reload the App twice. No change. Went to the service centre and demonstrated the problem. They took a snapshot from Tesla server and said they'd get back to me. They didn't.

2020.8.2 came and problem stayed.

Then a few days ago, 2020.8.3 came and miraculously all is well again. Door opens and car starts every single time! Just like it always did before the unfortunate pillar replacement.

I use an iPhone SE (I know... one of the most technological cars, but least "technological" phones...), and for what it's worth, I had never had any issues with the phone unlocking the car when I approached UNTIL I recently updated to 20.12.1 in my car. I'm pretty disappointed, to say the least.