Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't go to sleep for more than a few mins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since last week, my Model S 2015 seem to not want to go to sleep.It used to sleep through the night and be ready for me with minimal mile loss the next day. Now it sleeps for a few minutes and then wakes up again. The pattern I noticed is that the idle time and the sleep time combined is close ~25 mins always. But then some times the car won't sleep for a couple of hours.

I tried doing different things. Disabling teslafi (and verify after a couple of minutes through the ios widget which tells you if the car is asleep without waking the car), removing the tesla app and the next day the car was still awake, disabling and enabling the power saving mode and even enabling always connected for a day. I even disabled wifi to make sure it doesn't try search for open networks and connect to wifi. If there was an update, it would have been downloaded by now I guess. Of course I've rebooted a couple of times in between for separate reasons but nothing seems to have helped so far.
Any ideas on what else I can try or what would it be?
I'm reluctant to go to the SC as it will take some of my time, plus the car is out of warranty

See a screenshot from teslafi (while I had it active)

upload_2019-3-14_23-2-27.png

Don't want to do that

Then I suppose you could go into TeslaFi and give it a bogus password for your car. I did not try that.

FWIW, I cancelled my TeslaFi subscription, but still have my login credentials (I guess I'm at the "free" level or something) and all of the data it collected while I subscribed is still there.

Aside from the no sleep situation, I found it to be inaccurate. Not TeslaFi's fault as it can only get what it gets from the car when it is communicating. I have a sub meter on my home charging circuit as well as a telematics dongle with it's own cellular connection plugged into the diagnostic port and find that data much more accurate.

I find Teslafi to be fairly accurate compared to cars trip data and Kill - O Watt meter ( love that product)

The problem I have is with where Tesla meters the energy and when. It meters energy coming into and out of the battery pack, but only when the car is charging or when the car is "on". It does not account for the energy used by the on-board charger ahead of the battery and other losses. It also does not account for standby losses because the car does not "count" that when it is sitting and off.

To use a gas car analogy, it is like having a car with a slow leak in the gas tank (standby losses) and where you spill gas on the ground when fueling (charger losses) if it only measures fuel going directly into the tank and out to the engine. I still pay $$$ for the gas I spilled on the ground and for the gas that leaks out of the tank, even if the car doesn't consider that.

Something like a Kill-O-Watt or other meter on your power line, if accurate, should give you the true and actual amount of energy going into your car just as a pump at a gas station would "count" all the fuel it dispenses, even that which leaks out later or is spilled on the ground. That is the number I am interested in because that is what I pay for. In my use scenario (will be different for different use patterns), this can be as high as 20%.

I agree. I used the KillOWatt meter on a Std. NEMA 5-15 outlet to determine my slow leak will cost me about 8% of total usuage or 80/year. This correlated pretty well with Teslafi efficiency of 76%.

Upgrading to 6-50 now, expect efficiency of 85-90%.

I agree. I used the KillOWatt meter on a Std. NEMA 5-15 outlet to determine my slow leak will cost me about 8% of total usuage or 80/year. This correlated pretty well with Teslafi efficiency of 76%.

Upgrading to 6-50 now, expect efficiency of 85-90%.

A couple of years ago, I was sick and hospitalized in the ICU for a couple of months (it was the flu... seriously... almost killed me... get your flu shots people) and my car sat, plugged in for all this time. Even though it wasn't being used. My energy logger showed that it averaged 2.63 kWh every day as it started to charge and "top off" periodically. That is almost 960 kWh a year. That is how much "leaks" out just sitting and has nothing to do with what it's plugged in to (I have a HPWC), although a bit of that would be charger loss which might be a bit better at L2 levels over L1 charging.

I am losing about a Kw per day. Energy saving is on, always connected is on. 12v batt is the new type, 14 months old.

I don't drive much, so this loss although small, is significant.

Considering connecting my small solar setup to charge the 12v to 14v.

Untick all three sleep box requirwment in TeslaFi,

Set idle time and time to try both 60min

Enable deep sleep and set the time frame for your not driving hours at home

Ensure your key is away from the car (click button to test if car reacts)

After completing the above, my car sleeps every night now

Then I suppose you could go into TeslaFi and give it a bogus password for your car. I did not try that.

FWIW, I cancelled my TeslaFi subscription, but still have my login credentials (I guess I'm at the "free" level or something) and all of the data it collected while I subscribed is still there.

Aside from the no sleep situation, I found it to be inaccurate. Not TeslaFi's fault as it can only get what it gets from the car when it is communicating. I have a sub meter on my home charging circuit as well as a telematics dongle with it's own cellular connection plugged into the diagnostic port and find that data much more accurate.

Do you have a recommendation for telemetric devices with celluar? I only have the Bluetooth dongle but not much helpful for long term data logging