Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Fiber Exterior Accents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting the Per. model in Pearl White with Black Perf. seats and Obeche gloss wood trim and Silver wheels. I feel it makes the car more elegant. I have had BMW M3s and other sports cars etc. and I think Dark wheels and spoilers look good on those types of cars. The new MBZ CLS is faster than Model S Per. but doesn't have any spoilers etc. It has a very elegant design and so do the supercharged Jaguars XF and XJ with 510 HP engines. The purpose of a Spoiler is to SPOIL the looks of an elegant car which by the way can also go very fast and handle incredibly well and surprise the heck out of punks in their cheap hot rods trying to squeeze you out on the roads.

Looks like there is a market here for a reputable exterior CF person to add these parts back.

One of the attractions of the MSP was the carbon fiber lip, spoiler and valence panel. My wife and I were both very disappointed when Tesla backed away from producing the lip and rear valence in CF.

Seeing the great job that Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA did with my Model S parking sensor install, I also commissioned them to overlay the rear valence with CF. Here is the result:

CFValence_zps7ce22860.jpg

The part was created by laying strips of carbon fiber cloth over the existing rear valence, filling them with clear epoxy resin, and then adding another 5-6 layers of epoxy so that the part could be sanded smooth without fraying the CF cloth. Then it was sprayed with clearcoat for UV protection and to match the Tesla CF rear spoiler.

Because this was a one-off custom job, it was more expensive than if a CF parts supplier produced a replacement part for the Model S. After searching the web, it looks like such an item would cost around $800-$900 if someone decided to produce it, like this one for the new M5.

Last edited:
One of the attractions of the MSP was the carbon fiber lip, spoiler and valence panel. My wife and I were both very disappointed when Tesla backed away from producing the lip and rear valence in CF.

Seeing the great job that Acoustic Innovations did with my Model S parking sensor install, I also commissioned them to overlay the rear valence with CF. Here is the result:

The part was created by laying strips of carbon fiber over the existing rear valence, filling them with clear epoxy resin, and then adding another 5-6 coats of epoxy so that the part could be sanded smooth without fraying the CF cloth. Then it was sprayed with clearcoat for UV protection and to match the Tesla CF rear spoiler.

Because this was basically a one-off custom job, it was more expensive than if a CF parts supplier produced a replacement part for the Model S. After searching the web, it looks like such an item would cost around $800-$900 if someone decided to produce it, like this one for the new M5.

Very slick looking. Can you take another picture or two from a little farther back and from the side?

Seeing the great job that Sound Innovations did with my Model S parking sensor install, I also commissioned them to overlay the rear valence with CF. Here is the result:

The part was created by laying strips of carbon fiber cloth over the existing rear valence, filling them with clear epoxy resin, and then adding another 5-6 layers of epoxy so that the part could be sanded smooth without fraying the CF cloth. Then it was sprayed with clearcoat for UV protection and to match the Tesla CF rear spoiler.

Because this was a one-off custom job, it was more expensive than if a CF parts supplier produced a replacement part for the Model S. After searching the web, it looks like such an item would cost around $800-$900 if someone decided to produce it, like this one for the new M5.

Can Sound Innovations produce these in small volume? I think they'd do a brisk business if they made these available to the Model S community. I'd buy one for sure -- I think it would look fabulous with the multi-coat red.

If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take them to do the carbon fiber wrap and what was the cost? Any issues with it so far?

Seeing the great job that Sound Innovations did with my Model S parking sensor install, I also commissioned them to overlay the rear valence with CF. Here is the result:

CFValence_zps7ce22860.jpg