Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Pricing Raffle -- Three Tesla Prizes, Three Cash Prizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I repurposed an old School Committee campaign yard sign
@PeterK Great idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing. We have one extra decal--now I just have to find a yard sign. The Roadster is ideal for the decal for a few reasons. First, it is a head turner and draws attention independent of the decal (we saw someone taking a picture of it --and the decal-- in a parking lot yesterday) and second, the car is so low to the ground most cars can look down onto the decal from behind!

All set for my drive west. Just need to finish packing and get a few hours shut eye. Always liked traveling incognito :)

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
  • Love
Reactions: Pollux
All set for my drive west. Just need to finish packing and get a few hours shut eye. Always liked traveling incognito :)

Looking good, Bill (@Half Dollar Bill)! How far west are you driving? You'll be leaving a trail of carbon pricing-aware people, and hopefully ticket buyers - like a modern day Johnny Appleseed. If you don't have them already, Alan (@Pollux) can get you some 4-to-a-page flyers that you could hand out to people along the way, or some full page ones for leaving with restaurants and shops (or just the files to print your own).

Just bought another. #928. Almost to 1000!

Thanks very much, @boofagle - keep it up!

I've been contacting a number of Tesla-related Youtube and news sites to request they promote the raffle. Like Tesla

and Now You Know

have both agreed to mention the raffle in upcoming posts. Please mention the raffle to others doing podcasts, etc. - we want to spread the word on Carbon Pricing as well as sell out all of the 2500 tickets!

Looking good, Bill (@Half Dollar Bill)! How far west are you driving? You'll be leaving a trail of carbon pricing-aware people, and hopefully ticket buyers - like a modern day Johnny Appleseed. If you don't have them already, Alan (@Pollux) can get you some 4-to-a-page flyers that you could hand out to people along the way, or some full page ones for leaving with restaurants and shops (or just the files to print your own).

Alan gave me the stickers and the post cards to pass out. The decal material is "challenging". I know you already did another batch, but if you start to think about another run, I can give you the contact info for the DE owner that does the decal printing for the Tesla Road Trips. The material is like tyvek and is easier to work with.

Oh, I'm headed to Custer SD for the Sound of Silence Rally this weekend. On the way back I'm adding to my charger count by swinging through NM, TX and the Smoky Mountains. I plan to keep the decals on until the drawing, though I'll probably remove my "half dollar" decal :) We'll see if I make any friends in natural gas and oil states.

So I wanted to report on my adventures out west. First, in two and a half years, things haven’t changed since there was only one real supercharger where a gaggle of Teslas congregated; otherwise, I only saw two in over 36 charger stops. Second, the weather conspired against us in Custer as it snowed the evening before the event and it was forecast to be in the 20s and 30s for the day of the public viewing so they cancelled the viewing. There were still plenty of cars around town but not as many outside folks ogling which limited my ability to pass out Alan’s handy postcards.

There were a few random people that asked about the decals and website but the ones that follow are the ones that stuck with me:
-At Murdo SD, I met an X owner from CA and his friend from the east coast. The X owner was relocating to Boston, no less and his friend was helping him with the drive. Now unfortunately, they hit a deer in ID and the front bumper of the X was held on by all sorts of straps and ties. So we commiserated a bit and talked Tesla until they noticed the decal and asked if it was mine. Soooo many people asked if the grand prize was MY car! I sheepishly told them they could do much better than my 3 year old girl, but I guess that’s an indication she’s held up well. My first task when I got back was to get her sprayed off because between the road salt, mud and BUGS she was filthy and deserved much better after her 4,000 mile leg stretch. Anyway, they broke out their smart phones and pulled up the website right way. Seemed very interested.
-Also at Murdo, I met up with @Archduke who was out on his first road trip. We had more interesting Tesla time as well as some serious conversation about getting drawn into eco causes as a result of owning the car.
-During our free time on Saturday, the group of us from the east coast, including @MMC- 's car with the decals as well, went out to Custer State Park trying to sneak up on some wildlife with our ultra-quiet vehicles. I’ve got a video of them riding off in the distance with the birds chirping that I have to post. But anyway, we pull over at one of the overlooks and after exploring a bit we start walking to our vehicles when another visitor pulls in and says, “Wow, they’re all my dream car!” I start talking to her to explain what we’re doing and she mentions that she can’t afford one yet. Out comes the handy postcard and I start to tell her about the raffle and how @Pollux is being gracious enough personally cover the taxes from his own bank account :) I think she was curious enough to at least want to go to visit the website.
-On the way home I stopped to charge at the County Club Hills supercharger in IL. Right after I pull in an S owner pulls up to me to start to ask about the raffle. I ask if he wants to plug in first, then notice his Canadian plate. I mention that for now it’s limited to US citizens and he asks for the postcard anyway and says he’s going to tell a US friend about it.

So I wish I could report better results at spreading the word and generating enough business to sell out the remainder of your ticket stock. I’ll keep the decals on the car until the raffle drawing and maybe some folks where I work and in my neighborhood will ask about it.

So I wanted to report on my adventures out west. First, in two and a half years, things haven’t changed since there was only one real supercharger where a gaggle of Teslas congregated; otherwise, I only saw two in over 36 charger stops. Second, the weather conspired against us in Custer as it snowed the evening before the event and it was forecast to be in the 20s and 30s for the day of the public viewing so they cancelled the viewing. There were still plenty of cars around town but not as many outside folks ogling which limited my ability to pass out Alan’s handy postcards.

There were a few random people that asked about the decals and website but the ones that follow are the ones that stuck with me:
-At Murdo SD, I met an X owner from CA and his friend from the east coast. The X owner was relocating to Boston, no less and his friend was helping him with the drive. Now unfortunately, they hit a deer in ID and the front bumper of the X was held on by all sorts of straps and ties. So we commiserated a bit and talked Tesla until they noticed the decal and asked if it was mine. Soooo many people asked if the grand prize was MY car! I sheepishly told them they could do much better than my 3 year old girl, but I guess that’s an indication she’s held up well. My first task when I got back was to get her sprayed off because between the road salt, mud and BUGS she was filthy and deserved much better after her 4,000 mile leg stretch. Anyway, they broke out their smart phones and pulled up the website right way. Seemed very interested.
-Also at Murdo, I met up with @Archduke who was out on his first road trip. We had more interesting Tesla time as well as some serious conversation about getting drawn into eco causes as a result of owning the car.
-During our free time on Saturday, the group of us from the east coast, including @MMC- 's car with the decals as well, went out to Custer State Park trying to sneak up on some wildlife with our ultra-quiet vehicles. I’ve got a video of them riding off in the distance with the birds chirping that I have to post. But anyway, we pull over at one of the overlooks and after exploring a bit we start walking to our vehicles when another visitor pulls in and says, “Wow, they’re all my dream car!” I start talking to her to explain what we’re doing and she mentions that she can’t afford one yet. Out comes the handy postcard and I start to tell her about the raffle and how @Pollux is being gracious enough personally cover the taxes from his own bank account :) I think she was curious enough to at least want to go to visit the website.
-On the way home I stopped to charge at the County Club Hills supercharger in IL. Right after I pull in an S owner pulls up to me to start to ask about the raffle. I ask if he wants to plug in first, then notice his Canadian plate. I mention that for now it’s limited to US citizens and he asks for the postcard anyway and says he’s going to tell a US friend about it.

So I wish I could report better results at spreading the word and generating enough business to sell out the remainder of your ticket stock. I’ll keep the decals on the car until the raffle drawing and maybe some folks where I work and in my neighborhood will ask about it.

Thanks very much, Bill!

No worries or disappointment - you've clearly helped the cause. One thing Alan and I have learned is that while the interactions are important, especially to raise awareness about Carbon Pricing, some of the ticket sales happen even without interaction, just from people seeing the stickers on the car in traffic or when parked and getting curious. So they take a look and end up buying. We don't really have a good way of tracking this, but we've found a number of ticket buyers who mention seeing stickers on a car in response to the question of how they learned about the raffle. I've also seen people taking pictures of my car on the road and while parked, perhaps to share with a friend or maybe just to capture the URL and go to the site later.

So I don't know if everyone with the decals is feeling this way, but I have a personal quandary.
Normally, I'll take a spot in the back of a lot a little further away just so I don't have to deal with others parking right up next to me and having to be a contortionist to get into and out of the car. Sometimes, not having the sensors to summon is a drawback.
But, with the decals on now I feel an obligation to park where the most traffic is going to see the car, which generally means grabbing spots that I'd normally pass by, and positioning the car so the decals are most visible to either the foot or road traffic.
I took my rally numbers off when I got back from Custer but I decided to leave the raffle decals on until the drawing, which means you'll get another road trip out of them when we take my niece and nephew to New England in a few weeks.
Ah, if only I knew some way of dealing with the conscience thing.

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and PeterK
Yep, I always park in areas that are most visible, like the ends of rows. And while I usually prefer to back in, I've been going front in to leave my back decal exposed. Last week I parked near Harvard during graduation, and tied a red mylar "Congrats Grad" helium balloon to my spoiler, to draw attention when it was sitting there. It's kind of a game - where can I find the most visible spot?

Post a photo if you find a good one! Prizes (well, likes) for originality and humor!

The new Chancellor of the Penn State branch campus I went to was in town last night and their staff asked if I was available for dinner. No idea why they wanted me but I said sure. I'll make @Pollux jealous and say that we went back to Founding Farmers :)
They were familiar with my experiences showing the car off for students and we got around to talking Tesla. I came prepared with your postcards and gave them out at the opportune time. Turns out they are kind of a raffle nut and since they didn't shy away from the conversation or leave the cards on the table, you'll have to let me know if they jump in for a ticket.
They were going to Uber back to their hotel so I offered to drive them. Unfortunately it was only a mile but I made the most of it. I forgot to mention referral code discounts so I'm hoping they get back in touch for more info and another ride.
Sadly I haven't bought my ticket yet so I didn't know how to answer the question whether there was any poll on the site about how they heard about the raffle.

Yep, I always park in areas that are most visible, like the ends of rows. And while I usually prefer to back in, I've been going front in to leave my back decal exposed. Last week I parked near Harvard during graduation, and tied a red mylar "Congrats Grad" helium balloon to my spoiler, to draw attention when it was sitting there. It's kind of a game - where can I find the most visible spot?

Post a photo if you find a good one! Prizes (well, likes) for originality and humor!

Here's mine near Harvard on graduation day.
IMG_7797.JPG

So I don't know if everyone with the decals is feeling this way, but I have a personal quandary.
Normally, I'll take a spot in the back of a lot a little further away just so I don't have to deal with others parking right up next to me and having to be a contortionist to get into and out of the car. Sometimes, not having the sensors to summon is a drawback.
But, with the decals on now I feel an obligation to park where the most traffic is going to see the car, which generally means grabbing spots that I'd normally pass by, and positioning the car so the decals are most visible to either the foot or road traffic.
I took my rally numbers off when I got back from Custer but I decided to leave the raffle decals on until the drawing, which means you'll get another road trip out of them when we take my niece and nephew to New England in a few weeks.
Ah, if only I knew some way of dealing with the conscience thing.

OMG, me three. Or me four. Jessica parked our S in front of the local elementary school for three days running. We're always jockeying for highly-visible parking now.

And the results are encouraging, especially for what they imply about people noticing the phrase "Carbon Raffle". One guy who bought a ticket reported seeing the car at a certain intersection and time of day, from which I figured out that he had seen Jessica taking our Chihuahua on the way to the vet. Valets are seeing the decals and asking for the quarter-sized postcards we carry with us. I frequently see people stop and rotate to follow the progress of the car. One guy hopped out of his car in the middle of three lanes of (stopped!) traffic, stuck his head in my passenger window and took a postcard. A neighbor stared at the car as I went by, nudged her husband, and later that night I saw that he purchased a ticket.

What I really like most of all is a big uptick in questions. What are you doing? Why? The raffle and the decals are one enormous conversation-starter.

Alan