Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Area Privacy Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about that when I first took delivery of the car, but then I realized that I can't see anything through the dark back window tint.
Do you feel that the window tint is not sufficient to block the view of items in the back?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I thought about that when I first took delivery of the car, but then I realized that I can't see anything through the dark back window tint.
Do you feel that the window tint is not sufficient to block the view of items in the back?
I was thinking the same thing, and then remember on my test drive/overnight demo, I can't even see out the side windows when looking over my shoulder... it's really dark out the side rear windows... I agree it's not needed for those. You could add the Tesla sunscreens to the overhead windows (back, especially) for a little more shielding from their shop.tesla.com site.

We are one of a number of Tesla owners here who have had their small rear static window smashed to gain access to the folding seats in our S in a quest to just see what was in the cargo area. If yes, then the liftgate window gets smashed too (fortunately for us this wasn't something he did). We have the Tesla parcel shelf so they can't tell what's below it and they are brazen and have no qualms about breaking in. Dashcam was on when parked and it took him under a minute to approach the car, break the glass, reach in and pull down the seat and probably use a flashlight to check out the rear under the parcel shelf and move on to the next. All without entering our car aside from his long-sleeved, jacketed arm. We had nothing back there and now probably a $1200 repair being done right now (took car in Monday and should have back tomorrow). The other vehicle he went to after ours got to see their entire SUV window smashed on the ground and a suitcase and ipad that was under it stolen.

I've wondered if we would have been better off without a parcel shelf in this particular situation. And owners have commented that having a black out tint doesn't stop them either...same reason as with the parcel shelf--they don't care and there might be something worth taking.

Last edited: