Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax selling my ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
I was at the Burbank Carmax selling my ICE to make room for my MS & when asked by the employee what kind of a car I am getting I started telling him about Tesla, I was going on & on when another employee overheard our conversation & said she at heard of Tesla & its a great car, the amazing part was she was tending to another party next to my cubicle that was doing the same as me...what are the odds of 2 parties being at a Carmax at the same time doing a transaction to make way for a Tesla!

Carmax offered 10% more then Autonantiondirect without any hassles.

Funny, I had sort of the opposite conversation at a San Diego Carmax a couple weeks ago. She asked what kind of car I was getting, had never heard of it, and started doing an inventory search to see if she could sell me one. "Oh, we don't have any of those right now. We'll probably get one soon, you should check back. Are you sure that's what it's called?"

Ha, I was at the San Diego Carmax yesterday, and I may have had the same lady. I got my ICE appraised and when she asked why I was thinking of selling it, I told her I'm planning to get a Tesla Model S. She seemed vaguely familiar with the car, but what got me chuckling was when she immediately went to her computer to look up the Carmax inventory for Tesla Model S's.

"Hmm, doesn't look like we have any in stock right now, but..." and then she paused, did a little more searching, and excitedly said, "oh! but we do have a Nissan LEAF available right now, and a Toyota RAV4 electric. I can take you out to the lot right now if you would like to see them and test drive them."

I looked her in the eye and said, "Ma'am, the Tesla is a whole 'nother ball game, it's in a whole different world. And I want to buy a brand-new one from the factory."

She seemed disappointed that I wouldn't take up her offer to buy a used EV with under 100 miles of range.

I would think a Volt would be closer to a Tesla than a Leaf.
I'm sure some would be happy with a Volt, as it's a fine car. But if the OP wants a BEV, a PHEV, IMO, is not a great alternative suggestion. I credit the salesperson for understanding the OP's needs and looking to see what she had that might meet the requirement. And yes, we all know that none of those cars are comparable to the Tesla.

And since you're just down the road from me, I wonder what it will take to get Classic Chevrolet & Texas Nissan to have more than one token Volt & Leaf respectively in inventory?

Last edited:
I sold my 2011 LEAF with 10,500 miles to CarMax for $25,000 last year. I'm in Phoenix and it was just before all the warm climate battery degradation fiasco. I knew what was going on, though, so I was anxious to dump the car.

I think CarMax has since learned their lesson.

Ha, I was at the San Diego Carmax yesterday, and I may have had the same lady. I got my ICE appraised and when she asked why I was thinking of selling it, I told her I'm planning to get a Tesla Model S. She seemed vaguely familiar with the car, but what got me chuckling was when she immediately went to her computer to look up the Carmax inventory for Tesla Model S's.

"Hmm, doesn't look like we have any in stock right now, but..." and then she paused, did a little more searching, and excitedly said, "oh! but we do have a Nissan LEAF available right now, and a Toyota RAV4 electric. I can take you out to the lot right now if you would like to see them and test drive them."

I looked her in the eye and said, "Ma'am, the Tesla is a whole 'nother ball game, it's in a whole different world. And I want to buy a brand-new one from the factory."

She seemed disappointed that I wouldn't take up her offer to buy a used EV with under 100 miles of range.

Do us a favor and enlighten that lady. Take her for a spin in your Model S. It surely helps if carmax people know what is about to knock the ICEs completely out of the park.

Imagine this:
"So why do you want to sell your Camry?"
"I won the lottery and will get me a nice Bimmer. M5 one."
"Ugh, these suck big at MPG. And Teslas eat them at the red light. Are you sure you want to waste that much money on a loser?"

</dream> :tongue:

Do us a favor and enlighten that lady. Take her for a spin in your Model S. It surely helps if carmax people know what is about to knock the ICEs completely out of the park.

Imagine this:
"So why do you want to sell your Camry?"
"I won the lottery and will get me a nice Bimmer. M5 one."
"Ugh, these suck big at MPG. And Teslas eat them at the red light. Are you sure you want to waste that much money on a loser?"

</dream> :tongue:

Hilarious.
Front Page News: M5 is loser to MS @ red light. Again.