Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cash Buyer - My bank doesn't recognise Tesla account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been covered previously...

I have received my invoice for my M3 purchase and will be paying in cash.
I input Teslas account details into my banking app so I could transfer the money to them, but my bank is unable to verify their identity, apart from highlighting that it is a Citi Bank account (which is correct).
Before I send the money, I wanted to check what other cash buyers have done.

Has anyone else had this issue?

As long as the details match there shouldn't be an issue. I think there is a transfer limit of £20k though? I had to pay for our car over multiple transfers, just make sure you put in correct reference/invoice number.

As long as the details match there shouldn't be an issue. I think there is a transfer limit of £20k though? I had to pay for our car over multiple transfers, just make sure you put in correct reference/invoice number.
I spoke to my bank (starling) who have stated that their max is £250k.
It's their card payments that have a lower limited of £10k.

Agreeing with others:
- Lloyds can’t validate the bank payee details so I got lots of warnings. I think Tesla use a US bank
- pay a small amount, it will often appear within a few hours in mytesla
- pay the rest in blocks if you have a daily limit.
- Tesla say they want you to take evidence you’ve paid. I wasn’t asked for mine but I guess if it’s cleared in mytesla all should be good

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Same for the Halifax. I have to make multiple payments, yesterday I made three payments and they showed up on my account. Todays transfer does not show and it’s been a fair few hours - could be a weekend thing? Anyone else make a payment today and if so has this reflected under your account ?

Yes with my bank Tesla didn't come up after I input all the details but went ahead with test transfer then increasingly large amounts each day as became more confident Showed up on payments page within 2hrs each time sometimes less Make sure to do screen shot each time and I also took screen shot of payments page in account as amount owing went down Scary amounts of money flying around

I think we all had a similar experience so as others have said send £1 AND make sure it shows in your Tesla account before proceeding AND check every transaction shows.
It is this bit that needs emphasising. It will always show up in your own account as going out. It is important to wait to ensure that the INITIAL small payment appears in your TESLA account before you send the subsequent payments.

Silly question, how do you pay? I don’t think I’ve received my invoice yet even though I’ve had all the details to pick up the car in Dec
In your Tesla account you will have your documents for the initial deposit. In about November you will get a notification and the final bill with instructions of how to pay and that payment needs to be made about 7 days before delivery. It is a very smooth process, nothing to worry about as long as you know how to make an online transaction!

Reactions: JaseW
Thanks all.

Same for the Halifax. I have to make multiple payments, yesterday I made three payments and they showed up on my account. Todays transfer does not show and it’s been a fair few hours - could be a weekend thing? Anyone else make a payment today and if so has this reflected under your account ?

I have not long sent over a test of £1.
Nothing has updated on my account page yet. As you say, I suspect it may take longer due to it being the weekend or out of working hours.

Always a safe bet sending the £1. They do use more than one account with citi bank. I was given one account for the first car and thought when buying the second I was all setup with them as payee but they gave me different account details (same sort code, different account number). I had the same issue on the latest but cant recall it being an issue with the first one.