Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catering for horses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, this is probably off topic, but, years ago I was working with a young lady who had a passion for horses. She said that it was written into common law that if an employee wanted to ride a horse to work, the employer was obliged to provide stables, water etc. for the horse. She would often wonder what would happen if she tried to insist on her "right". Ok, this point of law may or may not be true, but why ruin a good story.

Fast forward more years than I care to thing about, and her musings have given me an idea. Given that the UK Government provides a grant for employers and local authorities to install chargers, £7.5k per charger(?), what if the government were to mandate that a percentage of all company car parking should be equipped with chargers capable of recharging a car during the normal working day. Now if the employer was regulated that they could levy a charge for the electricity used (at market rate, not CYC or ecotricity extortion rates), would that not speed up the adoption of eco friendly modes of transport.

I know some employers have installed chargers, I see them as I go round as part of my work, but if it were to have official government backing, well, who knows where that might end up.

Thoughts anyone?

if an employee wanted to ride a horse to work, the employer was obliged to provide stables, water etc. for the horse

When I was at Skool allegedly there was still a rule that allowed the Head Boy to wear a sword into exams!

Can't see Business being too thrilled to have car chargers mandated ... around us planning laws restrict the number of parking places at a business (to encourage more people to cycle / share / use public transport). I suppose Employers will be happy to install chargers if the government pays for them ... but I'm pretty sure that @arg told me that companies are having to install individual meters, and record the "benefit" per employee for the BIK tax ...

... I also saw something in the USA about up to $250 a month electricity-benefit for employees being tax free. That's one heck of a lot of miles!

Yes, the current situation is requiring companies to install expensive equipment so that they can keep track of electricity dispensed, and then the government offers grants towards the equipment cost (and, new in the Autumn Statement, 100% first year capital allowances on charging equipment).

If they just declared EV charging to be a non-taxable benefit so much cheaper equipment was usable, then they could ditch the grants and other concessions and everybody would be better off.

Reactions: WannabeOwner