Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution when parking on an incline on top of snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some of these vids the car has been unloaded post parking which in physics theory should make such a slide less able to happen or be initiated on a slope. I suspect what is happening here is a warm battery is radiating heat to the ground below creating a wet/ice slick surface to form leading to the tires losing their initial grip on the ice and as we all know wet tires will not gain traction on ice once the vehicle is moving. This would explain why a BEV car can come to a complete standstill on a slope and slide 20/30 seconds later. On a couple of the vids the initial movement was caused by the driver as you can see the rear drive wheels turn prior to breaking and losing control which is just a lack of experience/judgement driving on snow covered iced hills. Winter tires could give you some control but they do not prevent the inexperienced taking very risky chances in very demanding frozen/challenging situations and can easily lead to over confidence in the inexperienced.

In some of these vids the car has been unloaded post parking which in physics theory should make such a slide less able to happen or be initiated on a slope. I suspect what is happening here is a warm battery is radiating heat to the ground below creating a wet/ice slick surface to form leading to the tires losing their initial grip on the ice and as we all know wet tires will not gain traction on ice once the vehicle is moving. This would explain why a BEV car can come to a complete standstill on a slope and slide 20/30 seconds later. On a couple of the vids the initial movement was caused by the driver as you can see the rear drive wheels turn prior to breaking and losing control which is just a lack of experience/judgement driving on snow covered iced hills. Winter tires could give you some control but they do not prevent the inexperienced taking very risky chances in very demanding frozen/challenging situations and can easily lead to over confidence in the inexperienced.
Bravo... this may be the first correct use of breaking on this forum... I guess... unless the driver was actually braking 🤔