Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter compatibility for legacy Teslas in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Question about upcoming CCS adapter compatibility as I am seeing conflicting information. My understanding is that any Tesla prior to 2019 will not be compatible out-of-the-box with the forthcoming US CCS adapter, but will/is there a retrofit confirmed available?

Has anyone in the US had this done?

Cost?

You need a new ECU that supports CCS. There is a good thread in the Model 3 forum where some people are trying a DIY approach.

There is no official retrofit available right now.

I'm guessing for models older than 2020 will require several hardware upgrades like they did for the official EU CCS retrofit. Not entirely confident Tesla will even make those options available for the 'legacy' models and only support simple ECU swaps for models that support the majority of the hardware already required for the adapter on newer models. Maybe they will prove me wrong though.

If you look at the Software, Additional Vehicle Information screen, it will tell you if your car is compatible.
1645030913727.png

Hi all. Question about upcoming CCS adapter compatibility as I am seeing conflicting information. My understanding is that any Tesla prior to 2019 will not be compatible out-of-the-box with the forthcoming US CCS adapter, but will/is there a retrofit confirmed available?

Has anyone in the US had this done?

Cost?
Curious about this as well!
Coincidently, the Tesla Korea store just got some CCS1 adapters in stock last night and I had a friend in Korea pick one up for me.
My Model Y lists "CCS adapter support: Enabled" while my '14 Model S says "CCS adapter support: Not installed"
My optimistic side is hoping that since it says "Not installed" vs Not available or something similar, that there may be a change they'll offer the retrofit kit in the US.
Only time will tell I suppose :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-16 151800.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-16 151800.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 67
Reactions: fcastrillo86
My 2020 Model X LR+ shows CCS Adapter not installed. I asked Service Center around Jan 2022 and they indicated, they do not know when or if an upgrade will be available. I see a model Y update string but none for Model X. Thanks if there is one!