Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stupidity of building DC fast charging stalls that don’t share power among stalls is mind boggling. Tesla did it correctly from the get go in 2012. And then enhanced the power sharing four years ago with their V3 superchargers. Tesla never had a situation where you’d have 50, 150 and 250 kW stations side by side resulting in the situations you see now with CCS. Why didn’t the industry just copy Tesla? Sigh.
I've been to a couple sites near Chicago that have both V2 and V3 stalls, the V3 stalls usually have a 250kW sign on them. They weren't installed a the same time of course.

I've been to a couple sites near Chicago that have both V2 and V3 stalls, the V3 stalls usually have a 250kW sign on them. They weren't installed a the same time of course.
I tried EA again last week. it failed again as usual.
1st: the app said the session couldn't start because there was only $4.82 balance on my account
2nd: the app claimed something wrong with my payment method
3rd: assuming, perhaps, it had an expired credit card, I tried to enter my current card but it wouldn't take it
4th: I called customer service and a half an hour later, the rep said to try to use the charger
5th: by that time, a Bolt had come up and was using the CCS port on this charger because it was the only working one that could reach their Bolt charge port.
Since I was just seeing if EA worked (I try to check every year or so when it becomes convenient to charge at only 50 kW), I gave up and went to the Supercharger a few miles away.

With superchargers i don’t even think any more. They just always work. In 5 years I may have seen a dozen plugs that didn’t work but there was always one right next to it that did work. Never been stranded by Tesla.
New favorite video on that subject:

"EVGO assured us that the company had nothing to do with the note and that they sent someone out to remove it from the charger." Nothing to do with it EXCEPT building 100kW chargers next to 350kW chargers.

I too had to ask a VW driver to move so I could try the 350kW charger that opened near me, they were very nice and expressed that they had NO IDEA what the various speed ratings were. Thanks VW and EVgo. Continuing to promote fossil fools, even among their EV drivers. I may print up some signs myself

That is one of big advantages of V3 Superchargers, and other chargers like Kempower, where every stall supports the maximum charge rate and power is shared across all of the stalls.
I was at an 8 stall Supercharger yesterday outside Vegas and 4 stalls were covered by solar panels and 4 were in direct sun, so all 4 cars there were plugged into the 4 shaded stalls, but we were all getting full power as the DC buss shared power from the 4 unused posts. I had never been more proud of Tesla, although you'd think they'd install a shade over the other 4 stalls, but could have been an issue with the site owner.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kayak1

"EVGO assured us that the company had nothing to do with the note and that they sent someone out to remove it from the charger." Nothing to do with it EXCEPT building 100kW chargers next to 350kW chargers.

I too had to ask a VW driver to move so I could try the 350kW charger that opened near me, they were very nice and expressed that they had NO IDEA what the various speed ratings were. Thanks VW and EVgo. Continuing to promote fossil fools, even among their EV drivers. I may print up some signs myself

I was at an 8 stall Supercharger yesterday outside Vegas and 4 stalls were covered by solar panels and 4 were in direct sun, so all 4 cars there were plugged into the 4 shaded stalls, but we were all getting full power as the DC buss shared power from the 4 unused posts. I had never been more proud of Tesla, although you'd think they'd install a shade over the other 4 stalls, but could have been an issue with the site owner.
Love that guy!!!!

I just read the sign that was posted on the EVGO chargers and have no isue with it but it could be written more nicely. Put a sign on the 350kw chargers that says "please consider using the 150kw charger if you have Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV, Hyundai Kona Electric, Nissan Leaf, Mazda MX-30, Mini Cooper SE, Smart EQ Fortwo, Volkswagen e-GOlf, Ford Transit EV. Please use this charger if the others aren't available.

wording like that would get more traction. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.