Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter for North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look carefully each EA charger is made by a different manufacturer that is listed on the unit. So just like you can tell the difference between a V2 and a V3 Supercharger you can tell the difference between the various manufacturers and know what to expect.
Yeah. Prior to their next gen units, I know their units from BTC Power, ABB, Signet (v1 and v2) and Efacec.

As I think I've pointed out several times here on TMC, from left to right at DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America are: BTC Power, ABB, Efacec (probably all goners, I've never seen nor used one and many have been ripped out), Signet "v1" (I've never personally seen nor used one but they exist(ed?) in CA). Supposedly those Efacecs were crap.

DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America shows Signet "v2". Ditto for MarkG's post #3808.

EA is trying to gussy them all out as the same by painting and lighting them similarly (and running the same software)
Yeah, next gen dispensers (one at Electrify America general discussion) can be from BTC Power or SK Signet. I added used Harden Ranch Plaza - Walmart | PlugShare and added the pics there. When I was there on 1/1/23, the 3 next gen dispensers were SK Signet.

I don't want to post wrong info but IIRC, Kyle of https://www.youtube.com/@OutofSpecReviews/videos had mentioned before that w/the new dispensers, you could have dispensers from a different company than the chargers (which are in cabinets elsewhere). I don't recall if the chargers now come from only one company vs. both.

EA has been seemingly replacing ABB hardware with next gen during their upgrades. They tweet about their upgrades at https://twitter.com/electrifyam. The above Harden Ranch site in Salinas, CA formerly had ABB. They left an ABB dispenser for the CCS1 + CHAdeMO unit in another part of the parking lot. You can see a mismatch at . I've charged at EA Santa Clarita before (Walmart Supercenter | PlugShare) and it was all ABB before.

And yes, EA's kW labeling can be a bit goofy. As I mentioned at Lucid Motors Air - Page 6 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, I saw a Lucid Air test vehicle pull 166 kW on 150 kW EA chargers. That whole site is only 150 kW max and were all BTC Power.

Last edited:
If you're looking for high power CCS for your Tesla to chow down some electrons, this style Delta "350kW" charger can deliver 540 amps DC.

1046847.png

This picture, stolen from Plugshare, shows a location in Fremont, CA that has this one 350kW unit plus two of the short 100kW Delta CCS + CHAdeMO units. Plugshare indicates that the 350kW unit is "Out of Order" and the EVgo app says "last used 1 month ago". So, I guess this is not a good example of where you should go to charge.... ;)
This unit supports charging two cars at once - I assume in this case the 350kW would be split between the cars?

Isn't that the one that splits it as 500 first / 200 second, instead of 350 each? Once the first car gets below 200 amps the second car gets the primary power. Sorta like the V2s used to do.
Yeah, I think they put out up to 540A amps if there is only one person using it. But I think it drops to 500A and 200A if a second vehicle hooks up. But even the 500A is limited to 175kW, so if you have an ~800v vehicle the primary vehicle would only get ~220A.

Reactions: gr2020
Interesting development, Tesla has received approval for funding from California for 4 Supercharger installations. (One of which will be 164 DCFC stalls.) One of the requirements is that at least 50% of the connectors have to be CCS. (How do they count "connectors" when a single stall has both a TPC and CCS? Does that count as 1 connector that is CCS, or does that count as 2 connectors with 1 being CCS? In other words does every stall have to have both connectors, or can they put CCS on just half of the stalls?)

It looks like they are planned to be completed between late 2023 and early 2025. So it may be a while until we see their CCS solution.

It looks like Tesla has walked away from $1.6M of funding from California for the 4 large Supercharger sites they are building:

I suspect that means that they won't be putting CCS connectors in as originally planned. Maybe the Magicdock isn't ready yet, or maybe the requirements for the funding were too demanding. (Like I think the NEVI requirements will be.)

I suspect that this makes it even more unlikely that they will apply for any of the available NEVI funding for Supercharger expansion.

Hi, I'm trying to get a CCS adapter for backup just in case TSC stations get full or I can't find a nearby TSC during my travel.

Hansshow CCS adapter is $140 where Tesla CCS adapter is around $190. Is there any difference in them? Aren't they just passive adapter?

Hi, I'm trying to get a CCS adapter for backup just in case TSC stations get full or I can't find a nearby TSC during my travel.

Hansshow CCS adapter is $140 where Tesla CCS adapter is around $190. Is there any difference in them? Aren't they just passive adapter?
No one can easily answer that question. Just because something is passive doesn't mean they are the same. They can use different plastics, the locking pin mechanism might not be there or may be less reliable, they can skimp on the conductors, etc.

Get the Tesla one. It works great! (And it is warranted by the vehicle manufacturer.)
Make sure your car supports CCS before relying on it though!

I've considered getting a CCS adapter but every time I've been to a station to use the Chademo I had the usual difficulties with CCS....like having to call EA. So why bother?
(shrug) It's very rare I've ever had a problem w/EA where I had to call them to get a session to start. Sure, I've called them while already charging to report problems I've spotted (e.g. broken tangs on CCS handles)

I've used EA every now and then over the years w/native CCS cars. On my last road trip where I used EA (and wrote about it at Thoughts on CCS DC Fast Charging?), I didn't have to call EA to get any session started. They either were complimentary (just plug right in and it starts by itself) or paid and worked. My previous road trip in the same car where I bumped into rhuber (CCS Adapter for North America) but not at the site he posted a pic of, both of us charged on EA just fine.

However, this has all been within California, so it's possible it's a regional and/or time thing.

ARob's Spring 2022 Cross Country Bolt Trip Thread to both coasts in his Bolt. I didn't follow the thread carefully as to how many calls to EA CS he had to call but he does mentioned a few instances on that page. Another Road Trip Report - And an EA Nightmare! was worse though...

Reactions: Daekwan
(shrug) It's very rare I've ever had a problem w/EA where I had to call them to get a session to start. Sure, I've called them while already charging to report problems I've spotted (e.g. broken tangs on CCS handles)

I've used EA every now and then over the years w/native CCS cars. On my last road trip where I used EA (and wrote about it at Thoughts on CCS DC Fast Charging?), I didn't have to call EA to get any session started. They either were complimentary (just plug right in and it starts by itself) or paid and worked. My previous road trip in the same car where I bumped into rhuber (CCS Adapter for North America) but not at the site he posted a pic of, both of us charged on EA just fine.

However, this has all been within California, so it's possible it's a regional and/or time thing.

ARob's Spring 2022 Cross Country Bolt Trip Thread to both coasts in his Bolt. I didn't follow the thread carefully as to how many calls to EA CS he had to call but he does mentioned a few instances on that page. Another Road Trip Report - And an EA Nightmare! was worse though...
Not that it matters much.... but.... I bought a Bolt in 2017 and drove it from Columbia SC to Atlanta and back in one day. charged three times and had to call the provider every time. Sold the Bolt and got a Tesla M3. Decided I wanted to have a chademo adapter for redundancy so I met a fellow in Charlotte to buy it. Wanted to make sure it worked with my M3, so we had to go to two different DCFC stations to make find one that worked. The one that worked was on blue screen of death and we got the provider to remotely reboot it. Two years later, I was at Target @ Rivers and Ashley phosphate in Charleston SC and had to call EA to activate the charger for chademo. When I had the Bolt, I had assumed the problem was the CCS plug, but it turns out its the charger dispenser after all. Doesn't matter if you use chademo or CCS, you are likely to have problems. Kinda fun now with NACS... they can add a NACS plug to a dispenser but it will still have the same problems they've always had.