Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you didn't have a ccs adaptor today but had been thinking about getting one, mostly to have an extra option to charge when traveling in case there was a supercharger-free area and also to be able to take advantage of the cheapest charging rates whatever the network, would you buy it, even with speculation about other networks adding Tesla's NACS ports?

Thinking only about the financial payoff period, at a theoretical $.15/kWh difference between Tesla SC rates and a CCS, you would have to charge ~1666 kWh to break even on the $250 purchase, right? Or probably avoid one tow from running or of battery somewhen...

If you didn't have a ccs adaptor today but had been thinking about getting one, mostly to have an extra option to charge when traveling in case there was a supercharger-free area and also to be able to take advantage of the cheapest charging rates whatever the network, would you buy it, even with speculation about other networks adding Tesla's NACS ports?

Thinking only about the financial payoff period, at a theoretical $.15/kWh difference between Tesla SC rates and a CCS, you would have to charge ~1666 kWh to break even on the $250 purchase, right? Or probably avoid one tow from running or of battery somewhen...
Here in California there is not much point as a pure backup solution, even without the NACS announcement. But in plenty of other states, people can already put the CCS adapter to good use, so I doubt the announcement will necessarily change that (it'll be a while before it's adopted into chargers).

Thinking only about the financial payoff period, at a theoretical $.15/kWh difference between Tesla SC rates and a CCS, you would have to charge ~1666 kWh to break even on the $250 purchase, right?
Well, there is also the matter of free charging, if you follow my posts I have been on several super long road trips this year that were entirely free using the CCS adapter. I originally used the CHAdeMO adapter, free charging is my passion. The last couple of months charging at various EA stations have been free, so I assure you I have, MANY times over, paid off my original investment.

Reactions: alexcue and Art84

I bought it not because of potential savings in the future. I bought it just to have additional charging options available if/when needed.
The recent example for me was a trip to Grand Canyon. I stopped at Williams, AZ for the night and that city didn't have any charges available at all, except EA station. I came there to charge and saw lady on 2019 Model 3 who was trying to figure out if she can charge here. Unfortunately - for her it was not an option even with my adapter. Lucky she had enough SOC to travel to Flag Saff city (25 miles away) where the Supercharger is. If I would not have a CCS adapter with me, I would have to do the same thing or plan my trip in advance accordingly, knowing that there are no chargers available.

So I personally spend $250 for convenience and not for ROI.

Another potentially scary thing that happened was that while driving from Gunnison, CO to Montrose, CO we got stopped on Hwy 50 (a pretty significant highway) and were told the highway was closed due to construction work and we would have to wait 3 1/2 hours for it to open. There was a detour, but it was 97 miles out of the way on Hwy 92 from Sapinero to Montrose via Delta, CO. It's a good thing I was "overly" cautious on this first trip and charged to 85% in Salida instead of the much lesser charge which the Tesla navigation suggested because the detour was steep, twisty, and pretty much in the middle of nowhere (super scenic drive, though).
I’m heading that section of US50 next month. They supposedly have alternating traffic during the weekdays but closed at night (open 2 way on weekends). Delays are usually no more than 35 mins for one-way traffic from what I read but I’m hoping to avoid any nasty surprises. I don’t really want to drive the 92 detour and would rather wait.

I’m heading that section of US50 next month. They supposedly have alternating traffic during the weekdays but closed at night (open 2 way on weekends). Delays are usually no more than 35 mins for one-way traffic from what I read but I’m hoping to avoid any nasty surprises. I don’t really want to drive the 92 detour and would rather wait.
Always check on Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements There is a text alert service, too.