Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Board Upgrade Ready Yet? - 2017 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the adapter but have been patiently waiting for the Update to be available for my MX.

I had an appt w/Tesla to install the new board, but they cancelled it, saying to buy the adapter online. Ugh, I TOLD them I already have the adapter and need the board.

I opened up a new service ticket.

Does anyone know if the board upgrade is actually available yet? The old message for the car's retrofit no longer appears.

Thanks!

I have the adapter but have been patiently waiting for the Update to be available for my MX.

I had an appt w/Tesla to install the new board, but they cancelled it, saying to buy the adapter online. Ugh, I TOLD them I already have the adapter and need the board.

I opened up a new service ticket.

Does anyone know if the board upgrade is actually available yet? The old message for the car's retrofit no longer appears.

Thanks!
from my understanding and other posts I have seen, the ccs retrofit is available for the MX and only available as a kit and will not separate adapter and board.

Reactions: cruiserlarry
I just picked up a 2019 Model X 100D and it did not come CCS capable. I just opened a ticket over the weekend for the board install and got a response this morning that they would get back to me by the end of the day with a quote. Once I get it I'll update this thread.

I did say that I already had the adapter from an earlier purchase of it for my Y so we'll see what they come back with.

I just picked up a 2019 Model X 100D and it did not come CCS capable. I just opened a ticket over the weekend for the board install and got a response this morning that they would get back to me by the end of the day with a quote. Once I get it I'll update this thread.

I did say that I already had the adapter from an earlier purchase of it for my Y so we'll see what they come back with.
a quote seems odd since it is advertised as a fixed price of $450.

for the OP, if Tesla won't un-bundle the upgrade and adapter, i would just sell the CCS adapter to somebody who has a compatible car. plenty of newer Tesla cars out there that are CCS capable.

a quote seems odd since it is advertised as a fixed price of $450.

for the OP, if Tesla won't un-bundle the upgrade and adapter, i would just sell the CCS adapter to somebody who has a compatible car. plenty of newer Tesla cars out there that are CCS capable.
Thats an automated message. They need to generate a service estimate that owner must agree to. If they do not do this, and they do the work, owner can say I didn't want to spend that much and now they don't need to pay anything.

Well, I will find out in a couple days when I take the MX in. I had thought I needed the adapter and board separately. If they do both, the other adapter will be kept in our MY. Let's see what they do on Wednesday.

They quoted me $489.81, which looks pretty close to $450 + Tax. If that prices comes with the adapter then yeah I want it so I can have one in each car.

• Informative
Reactions: 1speed
I got my CCS1 installed on my 2019MX last week. Tested it today and it worked but I could get a max of 100 KW/hr rate of charge on a 350KW CCS fast charger. My car was at 33% SOC. I had read somewhere that Tesla caps the CCS1 to 140KW max but I am not certain what is the limit for CCS1 .

Reactions: GasNah
Got the quote. $450 + tax. Includes board, installation (Mobile tech), & CCS adapter.

I approved and installation will be this Friday.
I got the same quote for my installation in San Jose. The time takes quite some time to install - more than an hour , almost 2 hours as trunk and frunk blankets have to be opened and the HV battery disconnected. The tech could not update the car configuration to accept CCS1( Mobile Tech said it was bad connectivity on his cell ph hotspot so the connection to his laptop was dropping). He suggested I take it to Tesla service center and they will change the configuration. ( No appointment need to visit the service center for the config update). Went to Tesla service center in Santa Clara and they accommodated me somehow , but said it will be very late in the evening by the time they finish as their schedule is full, but they gave me a loaner and I got the car back next morning. Now tested CCS1 by going to local CCS1 charger and it is working in my 2019 MX. .

Mobile tech arrived on schedule with the install kit. I had also received a software update that I was not to install until after the hardware had been installed. The Mobile tech installed this software update at the end and all was good.

I tested it at a local Electrify America and it did accept the charge. I was already at a 70% SOC so the charge rate was not very fast but it did work.

I got my CCS1 installed on my 2019MX last week. Tested it today and it worked but I could get a max of 100 KW/hr rate of charge on a 350KW CCS fast charger. My car was at 33% SOC. I had read somewhere that Tesla caps the CCS1 to 140KW max but I am not certain what is the limit for CCS1 .
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kW/hr.

It actually is kWh/h but since h/h cancels out, that becomes kW. Generally, on the "350 kW" chargers, in order to get even 200 or more kW, requires 800 volt system cars. Examples include Taycan, e-tron GT (NOT the non-GT), Ioniq 5 and Hummer EV. Via YouTube, can you find charging tests for such cars on 350 kW/800 volt chargers.

Otherwise, on "150 kW" stations, 300ish-400ish volt vehicles max out at ~150 kW at best.

Mobile tech arrived on schedule with the install kit. I had also received a software update that I was not to install until after the hardware had been installed. The Mobile tech installed this software update at the end and all was good.

I tested it at a local Electrify America and it did accept the charge. I was already at a 70% SOC so the charge rate was not very fast but it did work.
How long did it take? They are coming tomorrow to do my 2016 MS...

Took more than 2 hours - needs to open both rear and front trunks blankets, disconnect HV connection and then install the CCS1 board near the charger at rear , update the firmware ( configuration change) - my Mobile Tech could not update the config ( he said he is having bad connectivity on his laptop to change the config) , so I had to take it to the service center. Budget 3 hours of time

Took more than 2 hours - needs to open both rear and front trunks blankets, disconnect HV connection and then install the CCS1 board near the charger at rear , update the firmware ( configuration change) - my Mobile Tech could not update the config ( he said he is having bad connectivity on his laptop to change the config) , so I had to take it to the service center. Budget 3 hours of time
OK. Thank you. I didn't realize this was an MX forum post - I have a MS and found a similar discussion. Seems like 2 hours for it. Mobile Tech can take all the time he/she needs as it is a flat rate upgrade.