Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ccs retro for s,x article on Teslarati

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is $450 really “hefty” when it includes the $175 adapter?

$275 including labor for the ECU retrofit is a pretty damn good deal for people who want this. Electrek smoking their usual crack.
It's not excessively hefty. But it's also not so reasonably priced to encourage many customers to get this done - they don't want the service centers flooded with requests because it's a good deal.

I setup an appt to find out and seems like they already scheduled me without much of an explanation. What exactly will they be doing, I have a MS, are they physically changing the connector on my car?
Just changing some behind the scenes stuff in simple terms. Your port will not change to a CCS. It will remain a Tesla port.

Reactions: Durwood101
450 seems reasonable, I think they need to take out the seat and replace the module/circuits to make it work with the CCS adapter, just curious why people want to do that. Is there a geo-location that has more CCS stations than SC?

450 seems reasonable, I think they need to take out the seat and replace the module/circuits to make it work with the CCS adapter, just curious why people want to do that. Is there a geo-location that has more CCS stations than SC?
It doesn't make much sense along highways, Tesla does have that covered pretty well. The best use case for at least for me is when spending time visiting a city. Particularly in the Southeast where cities are somewhat spread out and may only have 1-3 superchargers in the entire metro area. See Birmingham, Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, even Atlanta within the perimeter is not well covered. etc), it may be a 30 minutes drive across town to a supercharger.

Additionally you might have access to free CCS chargers in some areas. I think Duke Energy has several in the Tampa area.

Reactions: cbdream99
I'm wondering if there are markets where a monthly-fee-membership CCS charger (EA, EVgo, etc.) cost is comparable or less than pay-as-you-go SC charges, so an owner with a Tesla and a CCS EV would maximize use of their CCS subscription.

I'm wondering if there are markets where a monthly-fee-membership CCS charger (EA, EVgo, etc.) cost is comparable or less than pay-as-you-go SC charges, so an owner with a Tesla and a CCS EV would maximize use of their CCS subscription.
I believe the difference in cost by maximizing a CCS subscription would only matter if the CCS option were more convenient and saved time. While I have free supercharging, it is not worth my time to drive 30 miles to the closest supercharger, or even visit the supercharge when I travel near it, and sit and wait for the 30 - 40 minutes to save $10. This is why I feel convenience and time savings are the most important factors, not cost savings. It is very nice just to plug up the Tesla at the end of the day at home, and that is all it needs. Perhaps for someone who travels frequently, a subscription may be more beneficial.

I want to get the CCS so i will have more charging locations i can use. I tow a trailer and while there are a lot of superchargers there are some areas that they are kinda far apart, but there is some times a CCS station that would shorten the gap to get to another SC.

The price here seems to me to be a reasonable compromise between a decent deal for those who's travel routes or towing make it a good idea but not so cheap as to get a lot of folks making the upgrade just to use it twice a year so they don't have to drive across town when visiting grandma.

One question though. I thought that there was still a cutoff for much older cars that couldn't be updated at all but I didn't see any reference to that in the article. Would it be an option for my 2013 MS-85?

One question though. I thought that there was still a cutoff for much older cars that couldn't be updated at all but I didn't see any reference to that in the article. Would it be an option for my 2013 MS-85?
1677781253369.png

Isnt CCS upgrade also mandatory for the use of new SuC v3 and above?
No, Tesla's use the Tesla plug. The stations that are now open to the public use a Tesla plug that has a CCS plug locked into it as well.
My 2014 charges just fine on all versions of the supercharger network. I've used V1 which are finally all gone, V2, and V3 just fine and at the same speeds.