Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS2 socket in 2022 EU Model S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find a definitive answer.
Does anyone know if the 2022 S/X (LR and Plaid) cars are going to be shipped to Europe with native CCS connectors?

I'm considering buying one but this is one of those little niggles that I would like to put into the "Pro" or "Con" side of te matrix when it comes to crunch time... Needing to have an adapter seems very inelegant and me being me I know it's only a matter of time until I lose it or break it or leave it behind somewhere....

Thank you!

I’m not sure anyone knows, maybe not even Tesla. One would expect so now they’re doing it for the M3 and MY. If you can get a good view of the US charge port you might be able to tell if there’s enough room as that was the problem with the MS and MX

It would be quite surprising if they don't have native CCS, most (if not all) Superchargers in Europe either offer CCS or only have CCS and I think Tesla have said they plan to add CCS to American ones as it's becoming a standard over there too.

I'm 100% with you on the yoke, it's going to be a major safety issue on tight and twisty European streets - especially in town centres - I won't be buying any vehicle that cannot be specified with a regular wheel.

It would be quite surprising if they don't have native CCS, most (if not all) Superchargers in Europe either offer CCS or only have CCS and I think Tesla have said they plan to add CCS to American ones as it's becoming a standard over there too.

I'm 100% with you on the yoke, it's going to be a major safety issue on tight and twisty European streets - especially in town centres - I won't be buying any vehicle that cannot be specified with a regular wheel.
Not 100% sure it’ll be a safety issue as such. I suspect we can adapt to mostly anything.
It just looks absolutely ridiculous and fugly (I know, I know, eye of the beholder and all that).
Yoke steering wheels belong in the 80s, along with synt pop and mullets and should remain there ;)

Forgot to comment on the Yoke.

I'll have one when by pulling it towards me I can take off, otherwise a wheel is better...

Actually, the yoke is not modern, a side stick controller would be state of the art... push forward to go, pull back to slow and then reverse , push to the left to turn left, right to turn right... one mounted in the centre so it can be driven LHD and RHD and both front seaters can swap control.

How about it, Mr Musk?

Forgot to comment on the Yoke.

I'll have one when by pulling it towards me I can take off, otherwise a wheel is better...

Actually, the yoke is not modern, a side stick controller would be state of the art... push forward to go, pull back to slow and then reverse , push to the left to turn left, right to turn right... one mounted in the centre so it can be driven LHD and RHD and both front seaters can swap control.

How about it, Mr Musk?
DON’T GIVE HIM IDEAS!!!

Untitled.png
I took my own suggestion and found a video of someone charging a Plaid MS in the US. The socket and rear light corner looks the same as before which doesn't leave a lot of space for a full CCS socket in the light cluster. Adapters would be grim over here.

In China they seemed to add Chademo by having an old school flap on the wing. It loses much of the elegance.

teslla-charge-port-plugged-in-china-gb.jpg

View attachment 722624I took my own suggestion and found a video of someone charging a Plaid MS in the US. The socket and rear light corner looks the same as before which doesn't leave a lot of space for a full CCS socket in the light cluster. Adapters would be grim over here.

In China they seemed to add Chademo by having an old school flap on the wing. It loses much of the elegance.

View attachment 722625
Well, that is rather disappointing.
Maybe we’ll know more about Lucid by the end of next year and if or when they’ll make it to these shores.

Well, that is rather disappointing.
Maybe we’ll know more about Lucid by the end of next year and if or when they’ll make it to these shores.
If you’re debating between two car brands based on this one element of the respective designs, I suspect the shape of your connector will be the least of your charging worries with a Lucid. most folk accept that public charging is much better these days but if I was thinking that hard about the process of plugging in to charge away from home (which would be the only time you’d need the adaptor) as to be pondering the inconvenience of an adaptor I might wonder if I’m over-thinking the inconvenience of that whilst under-thinking the value of the Supercharger network. deploying the adaptor will be faster than starting any public charger So there’s always less faff.

We have a Model 3 and a Model S which we use equally for regular long journeys so I experience both options often. I never swear and spit when I have the get an adaptor out of the side pocket of the S and if you keep the box and put it on your parcel shelf you won’t get 20yds without seeing the empty box in your rear view mirror. I could misplace my testicles were they not in a bag so if I’ve managed to hold on to the adaptor this far, I reckon anyone can! My name and number is stuck to mine though just in case but I’ve never needed it to be seen by anyone except me.

I get that the Lucid might actually turn out be so good that you don’t care but if I’m reading your post correctly, the need for an adaptor could be a deal breaker. Just offering some real world experience of the ‘inconvenience‘ of it.

US refreshed Xs are now been delivered, having just come home for another 300 mile family weekend jaunt in our 75D X I cannot help but get tempted to upgrade at somepoint despite the higher cost. As a all round family wagon its simply fantastic.

Forget about charge port/Yoke stuff, if you have a need to carry people in the back there is literally no other car that offers the space of X short of a van, but who wants to drive a van :).

Equally the Model S still looks superb, it's a real shame Tesla hasn't maintained the entry price of both cars at a more sensible level.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Thank you, both, for your insight.
As soon as I posted I did think "Hmmmm, does the choice between Tesla and Lucid REALLY just boil down to the damn plug?"
I suspect I'm overthinking this way too much and the benefit of having to wait for the end of 2022 (or even 2023) is that there will be a lot more real world experience with these cars and that will help me make a more informed decision.
Also (dare I dream?) there may be 4860s in them by then, maybe?

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
View attachment 722624I took my own suggestion and found a video of someone charging a Plaid MS in the US. The socket and rear light corner looks the same as before which doesn't leave a lot of space for a full CCS socket in the light cluster. Adapters would be grim over here.

View attachment 722625
I agree that the fact that they kept the North American charge port in the same light cluster does not bode well for integrated CCS for Europe and other markets that use CCS2.
The pictured Chinese charge port arrangement is GB/T AC on the right and GB/T DC on the left, not CHAdeMO. However, you are correct that this additional charge port flap is one available solution for providing native CCS2 on the refreshed S & X.