Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CD Player audio input source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds crazy, I know. I'm gonna get my M3 on Sunday so I'll be able to answer this myself. Those USB input jacks - can you hook up a portable CD (well, they're all DVDs, these days, but they'll deal with any optical disc format so who's counting?) and play your Eagle's Greatest Hits, or Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Will the Circle be Unbroken Volume 1, or, ..wait, don't let me get away with myself. Anyway, you get my drift. USB is supposed to mean universal serial bus, so, it should mean, well, you get my drift. Will it? Huh? Will it?

You can connect one of those FM transmitters to the Aux out on the CD player. Awful solution, but really the main option for external audio devices.

You can do the same thing with a Bluetooth transmitter, but you’re phone is disconnected when that’s connected.

Best solution is just to get that content on your phone.

Sounds like the answer is, nobody actually knows.
Actually, yes, I know. As per your initial post, no, you can't stream audio into the usb port. There isn't an audio driver installed like there is on most computers. So no plugging in streaming audio devices like CD players, ipods, etc of any kind. You CAN attach a flash drive (or similar - supposedly some ipods work, and maybe ssd's) with whatever digital content on it you want, and the car will index it and play it with it's currently dreadful interface.